How to Cast a Heavily Weighted Nymph Rig: Learn the Chuck N' Duck

Adding four big split shot ahead of a nymph takes the sexy out of fly casting real quick. But when you’re faced with a deep, dark hole that might be home to a massive brown trout or steelhead, sometimes you have to suck it up and dredge. The drift is no different than with any nymph rig, but getting that much lead to the top of the pool without smacking yourself in the back of the noggin takes some skill. Master the old chuck-and-duck cast, and you’ll score more fish and suffer fewer welts. Just make sure you have plenty of back-cast room, because this isn’t for tight quarters.

Feed It
False casting is what you have to avoid, so start by feeding line straight downstream with the rod tip held high to stop the weights from snagging the bottom until you have enough length to reach the top of the hole you’re trying to fish.

Swing It
In one fluid motion, swing the rod over your shoulder to get the line swinging in an arc over the water behind you. Keep the line tight so it stays straight and extended. If the line collapses or loses momentum, get ready for a thump to the cranium.

Cast It
When the line reaches the 1 o’clock position, hunch down, bow your head, and bring the rod straight over your body, pointing the tip exactly where you want the rig to land—or rather splash down with the grace of a rifle shot.

From the April, 2013 issue of Field & Stream

from Mike Deyo wrote 1 year 1 day ago

This is a Salmon River staple! I hope you don't mind Joe but I borrowed this article for my blog.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 1 day ago

One important cast to learn for sure. I just discussed this very topic with a guy that was tying very heavy Clauser Minnows at our Big Fly Tying Expo., and an important cast to learn is the BELGIUM CAST, or OVAL CAST. If too heavy a wt, and nymphing on a fairly short line many use the water load, and sling the fly/wt. right out of the water, and back upstream.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 1 day ago

No problem, Mike. You have a good eye...I perfected my chunk-n-duck on the Salmon!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 13 hours ago

Nothing wakes you up and makes you swear like taking a heavy fly off the back of the skull. Yeeooowww! My go to heavy fly cast is the Belgium cast but i do on occasion chuck and duck.

from Mike Deyo wrote 1 year 10 hours ago

Thanks Joe. I live in Altmar, I'd like to hook up and go fishing if you're in the area.

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 8 hours ago

If you are chuckin like that why chuck across your body? You can get the rod out farther to the side by chucking the weight with your left hand. Cast with the left.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 1 year 1 day ago