Favorite Lures of the Pike Guides

Northern pike are vicious, elusive, and can be downright picky when it comes to hitting a lure. But these four trophy pike guides from across North America need to send clients home happy. When all else fails, these are the pike lures they trust the most.

Captain Bobby Liedberg

Bobby Liedberg
Location: Lake Delavan, Wisconsin
Credentials: Liedberg has called Lake Delavan his home since childhood and now plies its waters with clients, offering a “no pike, no pay” rule on all full-day trips.
Number of years guiding: 12
Contact: (630) 830-7687; pikeboy.com

Favorite Jerkbait: Original Rapala Floater
Color: Silver
Size: 7 in.
Weight: 11/16 oz.
Details: “The Original Rapala just matches so many different bait species. It’s a top choice no matter where you chase pike. Lots of anglers think the biggest pike are caught in really deep water, but that’s not true. Some of the heaviest fish from Lake Delavan have come from water two feet deep or less. Although I’m not a huge jerkbait fan, they do have an advantage in the shallows, especially if you remember that big fish live there, too.”

Favorite Spinnerbait: Pikeboy Single Colorado
Color: Black/Red/Silver Blade
Weight: 1 oz.
Details: “I’ve been making all my own spinner baits for a long time because everything I used to buy, the pike would destroy. These lures are made with heavy-gauge wire and high-end components. It’s really about durability. I chose that color because it gives a sharp silhouette in lots of water conditions. Finding closed-eye spinner baits these days isn’t easy, but they have a major advantage. I use wire leaders with a snap, and without a closed eye, that snap could slide all the way up to the blade and hurt the action or cause you to lose a fish because you end up pulling against the wire at a more vulnerable point.”

One of guide Bobby Liedberg's chewed up Rat-L-Traps.

Favorite Diving Hardbait: Rat-L-Trap
Color: Chrome
Weight: 1 oz.
Details: “Put me anywhere in the U.S. for pike and I’m bringing my Rat-L-Trap. You can work these lures at any depth in the water column, fast or slow.  They’re just as versatile as you can get and pike slam them. I never get rid of a Rat-L-Trap that the pike have beaten up. Actually, once a little of the chrome peels off, exposing those subtle white spots underneath, I catch more with it. I guess it looks even more like a natural baitfish.”

Favorite Soft Plastic: Berkley Gulp! Shaky Shad
Color: Smelt
Size: 4 in.
Weight: ½ oz. skirted jig
Details: “Pike are generally aggressive, but there are times when they’re picky. That’s when bouncing a soft plastic in front of their face works best. The Gulp! in dark, natural bait colors work best for me when the bite is slow. I typically rig these shads on ½-ounce skirted largemouth-style jigs, but vertical jigging doesn’t work that well. I use this setup to punch through the weeds and just retrieve slowly and steadily. You cover more water that way, and the idea is to pull the lure right in front of the pike. With jigging, you might lift it right over the fish.”

Page 1 of 41234next ›last »

from markpangler@aol.com wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

My favorite Pike lure is a mepp's agila colorado blade in gold #4
with a red and yellow body.

from adaboshi wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

What about the Red and White Daredevle or Eppinger's yellow with Red five of diamonds.

from mikpike61 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I've been trophy pike fishing all over Canada for over 35 years. For what it's worth, my favorites are: spinnerbait: mepps #4 gold/hot orange
spoon: Lucky Strike Wavy Spoon 4 1/2" "wavy gravy"
hard bait: J13 Rapala custom colored shiny gold & yellow
plastic: 5" super salty zoom fluke

All these except the mepps are great for summer pike... check your water temps. regularly.....big pike detest warm water.

Good Fishing !
Mike

from Kinzuakid13 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

heres a lure made of plastics. cut off a lizards front legs. tube it . hook it so that you can hook yourself. attach it to a triple barel swivel. tie a spinner of any color to the middle(rotating) swivel. the pike destroy these. i had a huge pike on my-til the line broke.

from MJAB723 wrote 30 weeks 1 day ago

I like my 3" holographic spoon, 4" jointed minnow. And I just recently I bought a huge red and white striped dardevle. And also trying a UV minnow. No complaints yet. My biggest northern is off a chartreuse spinner tho.

from MJAB723 wrote 30 weeks 1 day ago

from mikpike61 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

spoon: Lucky Strike Wavy Spoon 4 1/2" "wavy gravy"
hard bait: J13 Rapala custom colored shiny gold & yellow
plastic: 5" super salty zoom fluke

Good Fishing !
Mike

from Kinzuakid13 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from markpangler@aol.com wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

My favorite Pike lure is a mepp's agila colorado blade in gold #4
with a red and yellow body.

from adaboshi wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago