How To Shoot A Winter Coyote

Improve your winter coyote hunting with patience, an electronic call, and a good vantage point
Photo by Kevin Hand

December through February can be a tough time for hunters. If your tag is punched or the season has closed, you've got a long wait until spring gobblers. But with coyotes you're looking at a year-round season—no limits, no license. Outfitter Cory Lundberg (codahunts.com), who guides predator hunters in Wyoming and Utah, says, “This kind of hunting is a waiting game. A mature coyote can take a long time to come in, and you must be able to sit still the whole time. If he smells, sees, or hears you, the game is over.”

The Call Digital electronic calls from Fox pro (gofoxpro.com), especially those that mimic a distressed rabbit, are lundberg's favorites. He'll also use fox distress calls. He places the speaker 100 to 200 feet away from the hunter, mainly to keep the coyote focused on the call, not the hunter.
The Setup Lundberg often hunts in sagebrush flats. The key is to set up at an elevated position with a good vantage point—the idea being to spot the coyote before he spots you and then watch him close the distance. Since a coyote often tries to approach from downwind, try to set up in a quartering wind to reduce its chance of scenting you.
The Signs one way to tell if a coyote is approaching in thicker cover is to look for a following magpie or crow. They'll fly near a coyote to scrounge on the leavings. Spooked antelope or mule deer are also good clues of a coyote on the move.
The End game Lundberg enjoys the challenge of getting a coyote as close as possible. The shot can be anywhere from 15 to 300 yards. “When the coyote turns broadside—no matter the distance—I know something has triggered his defense mechanisms. This is when I tell the hunter to take him.”

from Silewski11 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Good tips

from rezavoirdog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Coyotes also will tend to aproach from your flanks, so be sure to utilize your peripheral vision more to keep from moving while you wait for them to come to your calls.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

It allways seems to me that they will be were you least expect them to be. So be ready. Anyone know of any good night lights for hunting them at night, and does anyone have or know someone who has the light the advertise in North American Hunter. Is it a good light, the range is supposed to be 250 yards, but the price is almost that of a foxpro. I want to know if it is worth the money.

from rezavoirdog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Try Primos Spotlights (comes with red lenses) that can be mounted on your rifle scope, between $30-$150, depending on what set-up you want.

from bassman3-15 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Wind is very important. Know how the wind is going so that you can position yourself. Coyotes usually come from downwind.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Just to point out, at least in Utah and Idaho you do need a general hunting license to hunt coyotes. I don't know about everywhere else and I know that nobody cares about saving coyotes, but it is still the law and you can get trouble.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Thank you, rezavoirdog.

from Dbetzner wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Indiana has a 5 month season and requires a general hunting license.

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

ya indian requires general hunting license unless u own the land then its any time all the time any number

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

i mean indiana not indian sorry

from stephenah85 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Another way in which I have heard people hunting coyote is to place your deer scraps out in the open and "feed" them then pull the scraps and wait.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If you hunt White Sands Missile Range like I have, be very careful when calling coyotes. Your 22-250 or 25-06 might not be big enough for what comes charging in. ORYX! And boy do they!

from Joevols wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

When calling coyotes, be on the lookout for bobcats and foxes. They come in hard and low and are a blast to shoot!(no pun intended)

from Damon619 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

wish i had huge fields to hunt coyotes in..nothing like hunting in the timber of the northeast

from Ed Mays wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have the small primos light for my 22 mag. works great.. Have to wait for deer season to end to use the big guns,in NY. Also try going out around midnight or later, you will find the wind has died down and you don't get all the noise from heavy traffic and what not. Also you can still get the Lohman cd's wich work great with a $30.00 portable cd player from anyone versus a $600.00 and up fox pro.. Good luck and just have fun, Ed..

from tbogg10 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

im planning on trying my hand at coyote hunting in the upcoming weeks this will help me a lot

from matt wasson wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I like R/R tracks with a buddy or two to watch my flanks, plus I have a couple of spots that have ditches. We park on the road and go up the ditch a couple of hundred yards. The best night hunt yet is during the FEB full moon, good light with snow... I have even better success if I even go back to an orginal spot a couple of hours later...and yes "thawed" deer guts/ animals are great bait. I like to get a full day of hunting in, so one is to go rabbit hunting, keep the body/guts, have rabbit for late lunch and then go to a couple of spots where I left the rabbit parts. Don't limit yourself to one spot or even just coyotes...skunk, racoon, and fox are equally fun and pelts are cool!

from Ed Mays wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

don't hunt the gut piles itself hunt the trails into them.. Hunting the gut piles causes critters to get smart on you if you hunt the gut piles you'll get a few hunt the trails into the gut piles you'll get more than a few...

from pigkillersrus wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

My first predator kill was a yote.I drove up on him suddenly on my wheeler at 10yds. I grabbed my Ar-15 took half a dozen shots and lowered my gun. Only to see him grab the front leg, I just blew off!, and run into the tree line. I couldn't believe it but my cousin was there to witness it! we trailed it for 100+yards with no luck. SUMMARY: PREDATOR HUNTING IS AWESOME!

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Are there any states that still have bounties on coyotes,Arkansas used to pay ten dollars each you had to send the ears to game and fish for payment.
Alabamaoutlaw

from Drew Steven Knoop wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I am just getting into coyote hunting, this was very helpful, just what I needed. I think Predator Hunting is going to be the fastest growing type of hunting in the near future!

from coyotesinWI wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

when you shoot a coyote or shoot at one use a serenade call or call aggressively with short howls. you would be suprised how many will come in after a shot or two. The two best times of year to hunt them is early november when the pups leave to claim their own territory, then in February and march during breeding season. I suggest not hunting after March to allow whats left to reproduce for next year.

from tomsnugharbor wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Will someone please bail me out! I'm a beliver of Gene Hills fine works, ran into a few about dogs on here and blundered out somehow. Can anyone please direct me back to them? I've gone to everoe of these and can't find them. Thanks in advance.

from Roost323 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

good tips

from crosshairy wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I've been told that Kentucky has a bounty (amount is fuzzy, but it was more than $10 according to my source). I don't know this first-hand, but you can probably check their website.

I believe they take tails as proof of kill.

from Gay Chris wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

One time I saw a ORYX and it ran up real close and I was so excited I realized I had a special feeling in my pants.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Gay Chris wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from diverjim wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

I have been hunting coyotes the past year and have had some great trips. The state of Utah has a bounty $20 each but you need to check if you need to be resident to claim it. I have been hunting close to home in Las Vegas and need some hunting buddies.

from BlackJackPershing wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Hey DiverJim, me and my friends are in vegas and we are also looking for people to hunt coyotes with too. Where have you seen/shot coyotes near vegas?

from FETTY wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

good tip

from rileyhash02 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

has anybody hunted them near canon city colorado?

from grant77 wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

Awsome advice

from Modern Day Moun... wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

Good tips, just got an electronic call, gonnatest it out when I get back home.

from Curtis Quico Reed wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Colorado requires a small game license, year round season, no bag limit.
Also, any hunter with a valid big game license (deer, elk, bear) can shoot a coyote DURING HIS VALID SEASON. So if the deer ain't showing, and a coyote pops up...you can bag him if you want.
By the way, lots of ranchers will let you hunt coyotes on their private property if you ask real nice! They love to get rid of the varmints since they take sheep and calves.

from Devins Fortoday wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

who ever said you need a license to hunt coyotes in utah obviously has never been here they are a rodent and are free game to anyone anytime any age.

from Silewski11 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Ed Mays wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from coyotesinWI wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Thank you, rezavoirdog.

from Dbetzner wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Indiana has a 5 month season and requires a general hunting license.

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Awsome advice

from pigkillersrus wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from tomsnugharbor wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from Roost323 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

good tips

from crosshairy wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I believe they take tails as proof of kill.

from Gay Chris wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from diverjim wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from BlackJackPershing wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from rileyhash02 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

has anybody hunted them near canon city colorado?

from Modern Day Moun... wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

Good tips, just got an electronic call, gonnatest it out when I get back home.

from Curtis Quico Reed wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Colorado requires a small game license, year round season, no bag limit.

from Devins Fortoday wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago