Make A Cheap Recoil Reducer

How to lighten your shotgun's kick for duck hunting with a magazine plug

Here's a quick and easy way to add weight to the front of your waterfowl gun, where it will help smooth your swing dampen muzzle jump, and reduce recoil by 6 to 7 percent. This recoil reducer replaces the factory magazine plug.

1. Cut the PVC to the length of the magazine plug in your gun (allow 1/8 inch for each cap). If using open pipe (shown) instead of stub-out, glue a cap on one end with PVC cement.

2. Fill the pipe or stub-out to the top with lead shot, and glue the cap on with PVC cement. Reinforce with electrician's tape if needed.

3. Following the instructions in your gun's manual for plug installation, replace the factory plug. With some models you may have to slim the cap on a grinding wheel. The springs in Remington shotguns (1100/870/11-87) are just barely big enough to go around the stub-out. Give the reducer a light spray of oil and work it on.

Materials (for a 12-gauge):
1/2-inch open PVC pipe and 2 caps, or PVC stub-out and 1 cap
Electrician's tape
PVC conduit cement
4–5 oz. of size 8 or 9 lead shot

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

Sounds interesting and ingenious. But when I'm hunting and that animal (whatever- deer, duck, turkey, squirrel) is close my blood is pumping and adrenaline is flowing; I have never FELT recoil when shot at an animal.

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

But it's good to see fellow hunters are out there thinking and improving with good ideas.

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

hey good idea but im with jscottevans never really worried about recoil that much

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

I may try this out and see if it helps take a little bite off those 3 1/2's. I invested in a good limbsaver recoil pad for my pump gun, and it has helped alot.

from ByeByeBambi wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

My old man did it, he likes it. I don't plug mine, I like having 5+1, and when I waterfowl hunt, I just count how many I put in.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from FETTY wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

When im out bird hunting i get bunch of addredilin and dont even fell the recoil but is a smart idea

from jw4319 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Gonna try this. Recoil started catching up with me as I approached 60, just bought a supercell for my 870. To ByeByeBambi - don't know about your state, but an unplugged gun in Missouri will make you eligible for a donation to the state treasury.

from gene123 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

Addredilin? What the hell?

from tgrif wrote 4 years 3 days ago

byebyebambi, you better hope you don't get checked by a game warden!

from Bluehawk wrote 4 years 3 days ago

Interesting...I wonder how solid lead inserted into the pipe would dampen recoil of my slug gun?

from shootist66 wrote 4 years 3 days ago

For ByeByeBambi: As a couple of other folks said, you'll at least get a ticket if caught without a plug in your gun in all the states I'm familiar with...and in Washington a guy might also lose his shotgun. Washington State game wardens absolutely don't cut any slack.

For Bluehawk: Weight is weight regardless of form, but a solid lead (or steel) bar might also bust out the forward endcap upon recoil shock over time.

from Smallbore wrote 4 years 2 days ago

For ByeByeBambi: Most have said right. You'd better check the Federal Regulations too. If you're hunting migratory fowl you are required to have a plug i.e. a gun capbable of 'holding' NO more than three shells. And that's for every state.

from jonfrei wrote 4 years 2 days ago

Hey ByeByeBambi -- make sure you introduce your dumb self to me next time you're out hunting. I'll not only confiscate & destroy your gun, but I'll put your butt in jail, fine you into the poorhouse, and revoke your right to hunt for life... If you have no respect for the rules, you've got no business in the field. Go home, grow up, and come back when you've got a clue.

from toolnife wrote 4 years 11 hours ago

from Esox-1 wrote 4 years 4 hours ago

I made these changes to fit my 3 1/2" Mossberg 835.Glued cap on one end of pipe. Turned Dia. of pipe down about 1/64" for the spring to slide over it easier.Filled with lead shot. Other end of pipe I pluged with a wooden dowel.Pinned plug by drilling hole through pipe and plug and inserting a nail. Cut nail flush with pipe.Insert spring over plugged end of pipe and reinstall in gun. Works Great. toolnife--this would be a 1 piece plug.

from jackol wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I actually reached here by accident and was surprised to see information about how to lighten the shotgun's recoil for duck hunting with a magazine plug. Now, although I do like to eat meats like duck, and especially if it's cooked on a coal grill and not electric griddle like the griddles in this site: http://www.electricgriddlereviews.net/
On the other hand, I did eat food that was cooked on the cuisinart griddle and it was pretty tasty. Anyhow, I hope to find more good articles on this site.

from garagekits wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Not only good but awesome they are for ducks ,
Tom From garage kits

from ellyka19 wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good
work!

simulation devis assurance voiture

from LDW wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

Limiting the recoil makes the experience less painful. computer repair sarasota

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

That's a good one? What you have done is add more weight to your gun..simple physics on reducing recoil, BUT, I don't want to add weight to my gun, I want to reduce the weight! My thoughts are to make a shoulder patch for a garment that I wear shooting/hunting, and put a foam insert in it. Thin, not fat so that it would interfere with my mounting the gun.

from glucomt wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

I don't know about other states, but this plug would be illegal in California. The regulations state that it must be a one piece plug. http://www.checkcancersymptoms.com

from dreabour wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

Interesting lol, i will try it this week end. don't know about other states, but this plug would be illegal in California. The regulations state that it must be a one piece

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Eine Hausratversicherung testen.
Eine Günstige Hausratversicherung abschliessen.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Wie man einen KFZ versicherungsvergleich macht.
Eine Autoversicherung abschliessen.
Eine Berufsunfähigkeitsversicherung abschliessen.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Wie man einen rechtsschutzversicherung Leistungsvergleich macht

Eine PKV für Freiberufler abschliessen.

Warum eine Gebäudeversicherung Stiftung Warentest abschliessen

Warum eine Günstige Unfallversicherung so wichtig ist.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Eine Gebäudeversicherung abschliessen.
Einen Rechtsschutzversicherung Vergleich machen.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Wie man eine Preiswerte und gute private Krankenversicherung abschliessen kann.

from matthughes2248 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I've got to agree with the first commenter. When I've been out hunting the last thing I have ever noticed is the recoil. I'm way to amped up on adrenalin to notice. Computer Courses | Travel & Tourism

from ashspade wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I have never noticed a recoil out hunting, either. But this is a simple fix that I think would benefit the gun itself. I think my friend can spare some pvc from his chicago plumbing job and make them for every member of our hunting party!

from FranDer3 wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

Well, it's like i've always said, if you have no respect for the rules, you've got no business in the field. mike @ vodafone dongle review

from mickihosfeld55529 wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

its all about rules! live Rules, sex chat rules ....business rules! i Quit haha

from 410skeeter wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Couple of problems here.
1. If you are doing this strictly for recoil a recoil reducer is a better way and not expensive. It is better because it screws to end of magazine so the balance does Not change with each shot and it is mercury fluid which flows thru a restriction dissipating the recoil better. Stock inserted reducers are great if they do not make the gun barrel-light, which is like trying to shoot a derringer with follow-thru.
95% of the time it is not recoil but recoil caused by improperly holding the shotgun. If the gun is bruising you you are holding it wrong.
If you are self taught you are very most likely doing it wrong.
Just as in golf with a proper grip it has to be taught.
When mounting the shotgun after it is on the shoulder if you lower your head, that is WRONG!
You should be shooting! Not lowering your head.
Not only do you tend to undo the last thing you did, which means now you raise your head when/soon after pulling the trigger and shooting high, but your right eye (if you are a right handed shooter)is lower than your left, cokeyed. NO LONGER HORIZONTAL TO THE PLANE. Now eye dominance gets confused for your brain, because one eye is higher that the other. So you put tape on your left lens or shoot one eyed and loose your depth perception.
So...if the shotgun does not hit your shoulder and cheek and can fire at THAT instant with leading as the gun was coming up, you need to relearn. Think how much simpler/consistent this is?
AND you can shoot in a t-shirt with no bruising!
So go check out some Pro Olympic Skeet videos or buy some and really study the gun mount. The stock goes to the cheek not the face down to the stock.
As aside on this article, a spent shell filled with lead(use glue in end of shot,crimp and super glue and place upside down for the glue inside to run toward crimp, half full may be enough you have to play around with it, this is to balance a gun not reduce recoil) placed in the middle of the magazine spring so it stays in same place.
Good shootin'!

from 410skeeter wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

In my comment earlier I should have said International Olympic Skeet, as that starts with gun at hip. You tube "Benelli Shotgun Amazing Shots-Tom Knapp" Watch him shoot a rising target.
The British School of shooting is the very best teachers and their videos are worth railroad box cars of shells.
The Benneli pro shooters are an excellent example of proper gun mount.

from 410skeeter wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago
from ashleybrown023 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Very nice! Might I suggest that you could further improve this device by using a high powered magnet as the mass on the spring? The magnetic field would act as a damper of the movement due to the eddy currents set up in the pipe, and would be self-rate limiting, allowing low movement easily, but braking sharp moves very aggressively, which is ideal for this application.

Ashley

sports management course

from ashleybrown023 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I actually reached here by accident and was surprised to see information about how to lighten the shotgun's recoil for duck hunting with a magazine plug. Now, although I do like to eat meats like duck, and especially if it's cooked on a coal grill and not electric griddle. On the other hand, I did eat food that was cooked on the cuisinart griddle and it was pretty tasty.

Shahar
Tutoring Services

from sonnyluve23 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

This tutorial helped me to build a recoil reducer with my http://www.simulation-assuranceauto.net/kilometre.html colleagues. It was pretty fun to do it. It was really quick too mainly because of the quality of the tutorial. So I recommend it to every reader of this blog.

from edmark wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I think the most important thing to consider here is respecting the rules before showing it off.
Squamous Cell Carcinoma

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 5 weeks ago

from jw4319 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from gene123 wrote 4 years 1 week ago

Addredilin? What the hell?

from shootist66 wrote 4 years 3 days ago

from Smallbore wrote 4 years 2 days ago

from FETTY wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from tgrif wrote 4 years 3 days ago

byebyebambi, you better hope you don't get checked by a game warden!

from Bluehawk wrote 4 years 3 days ago

Limiting the recoil makes the experience less painful. computer repair sarasota

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from glucomt wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

from dreabour wrote 3 years 15 weeks ago

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Eine Hausratversicherung testen.
Eine Günstige Hausratversicherung abschliessen.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Wie man einen KFZ versicherungsvergleich macht.
Eine Autoversicherung abschliessen.
Eine Berufsunfähigkeitsversicherung abschliessen.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Wie man einen rechtsschutzversicherung Leistungsvergleich macht

Eine PKV für Freiberufler abschliessen.

Warum eine Gebäudeversicherung Stiftung Warentest abschliessen

Warum eine Günstige Unfallversicherung so wichtig ist.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Eine Gebäudeversicherung abschliessen.
Einen Rechtsschutzversicherung Vergleich machen.

from jannsen wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Wie man eine Preiswerte und gute private Krankenversicherung abschliessen kann.

from matthughes2248 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from ashspade wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from FranDer3 wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

from mickihosfeld55529 wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

its all about rules! live Rules, sex chat rules ....business rules! i Quit haha

from 410skeeter wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Couple of problems here.
If you are self taught you are very most likely doing it wrong.
Just as in golf with a proper grip it has to be taught.
You should be shooting! Not lowering your head.
AND you can shoot in a t-shirt with no bruising!
Good shootin'!

from 410skeeter wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

The Benneli pro shooters are an excellent example of proper gun mount.

from 410skeeter wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago