How To Make A Duck Call Lanyard

Use parachute cord to make a duck-hunting lanyard for your waterfowl calls

A good waterfowl call lanyard has a purpose above and beyond keeping calls handy and organized. It's insurance against damage and loss—deep water and swamp mud aren't friendly to $60 duck calls. You can make a strong and comfortable lanyard in about two hours out of 100 feet of 550 parachute cord for less than $10.

Photo by Pete Sucheski

Braiding The Body

[1] Cut a length of 550 cord twice as long as the intended finished length of your lanyard. Double it over and hang it from a sturdy nail. This will be the core of the lanyard that will loop around your neck. Another piece about 90 feet in length is the knotting cord: Start with the midpoint of this piece behind the core about 4 to 6 inches below the nail (roll up each end and secure it with a rubber band so you won't have to pull 45 feet of loose cord through your loops). Create a braid by tying a series of square knots around the core: Bring the right knotting cord behind the two core strands to the left side. Take the left knotting cord and wrap it under this end of the right knotting cord, over the core strands, and through the loop created on the right side. Repeat this step but reverse which sides go over and under the core strands to complete a square knot around the core. Continue tying square knots until you reach the desired length—in this case, 40 inches.

Finishing The Lanyard And Droppers

Photo by Pete Sucheski

[2] Double the length of braid on itself. Pinch the first and last knots together so the initial loop that hung from the nail lies against the remaining core.

Photo by Pete Sucheski

[3] Bind the two (loop and core) together with four to six additional square knots. Pull very tight.

Photo by Pete Sucheski

[4] Snip one side of the loop where it emerges from the final knot and use that strand to bind the remaining four cords with a wrapped knot.

Lastly, tie a slipknot on each of the four remaining tag ends; these are the droppers that will hold the calls. You can attach each duck call to one dropper with a slipknot around the groove under the band of the call. Heavy calls can be attached using two droppers.

from Winchester 92 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

This works perfectly and is really easy i made two already and they look sweet. the parachute cord only cost 6 dollars at the army navy store. try it!

from whitetailkjf wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

THANK YOU i just used a realllllly long shoe lace but it still worked

from hengst wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Thanks, a new project cnt wait to get started looks good. TY Winchester for input

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

im going to try it i have a few duck calls i don t duck hunt much but i need a good project and it looks pretty cool...

from HuskyKMA wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Nice, I have a bunch of paracord laying around and I need a new lanyard. Sounds like a good project.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

it is kind of confusing

from abiddle013 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from codyboyd wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

This would be stronger and it looks nicer than a 3 strand braid.

from pigman45 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

First time That I ever made a post. My father wanted a lanyard, and liked the idea of the one in your article in f&s. He realy liked the thought that it was homemade. I bought one thousand feet of 550 cord for sevendy dollars at army supply store. It took me three hours since I am not a boy scout and did not know how to tie knots. It turned out great and he loved it. Now all his duck friends want one. Glad I bought more cord than I needed. You can't make gust one.

from whattheduck wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Is anyone else finding this as difficult as I am? I think I'm somewhat intelegent but dadgum I can not figure this out for the life of me. I love the idea of this and have tried to do this project several time which ends the same way. Me throwing the rope and shouting at the magazine.

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Excellent article - now I just need to try it. I don't have enough parachute cord on hand...

from mopedfredd wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I REALIZED THAT....you need to "weave between" the two original chrods. Duh!!!
Thanks for this project. Keep 'em coming.

from mopedfredd wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I meant. "chords".

from wiegs1992 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I made one for my dad for xmas and he loved it.very easy to make!

from deer dropper wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

i've tried it and its hard but i used a shoelace and it probably takes practice.

from trapper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I'm going to tie this right now

from mjbooth wrote 4 years 8 weeks ago

Works great! Thank you

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Nolan wrote 4 years 1 week ago

Thank You! This really works great. Why buy a
$20.00 lanyard when you can make your own?

from best wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Best Costumes 2010

from Raven1 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Got pretty confused about the square knots until my wife straightened me out. Sad, but that's what it took. Could have used more detail about the "wrapped knot" at the end, and it took some thinking to get droppers along the lanyard, instead of all at the end where the calls would beat each other up. At the finish it worked; I'll make a few more as Christmas presents :}

from chrismerrill wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I made this lanyard for my deer calls it works great and looks great much more comfortable then 3 or 4 lanyards around my neck

from ksigtuck wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks

from BoarHunter wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

ksigtuck those are bands from waterfowl.

from Recoil Rob wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Just made one of these. I didn't measure my cord before starting, the bag said it was 100" but I had two 25 ft pieces left over when done. If I had 100ft to start out with that means I only used 50ft to make this. Next one I'm going to start with a doubled 6 ft piece and a 24 inch loop at the top. This will leave enough cord for 6 droppers.

from Payotehunter11 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Same experience here. Just made one myself, turned out great. Started out with 100 ft piece of 550 paracord and ended up with 56 feet left over, but in two different sections. I just bought camo colored paracord and going to fuse two different 25 foot pieces together to make a two color lanyard. I also added droppers further up the lanyard by looping paracord through the braid closer to my neck. Stops the calls from clanking together. Thanks for the article, very useful.

from JGooding1 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I made my own lanyard a little bit different than this. I braided mine and didn't have all the call holders in one spot. I used white rope and dyed by going over it with brown shoe polish and then adding darker spots with black shoe polish. The I soaked it in hot water to get the extra shoe polish out.

from spsdel99 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

This is something very interesting and innovative. The making of lanyard is very good. I like it.
hiv symptoms

from spsdel99 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago
from meravinbar wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I tried making this lanyard. This came out to be very nice. http://www.checkcancersymptoms.com

from jonathanf454 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I love the idea of this and have tried to do this project several time which ends the same way. Me throwing the rope and shouting at the magazine. http://www.generalupdates.com

from zogski wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

We're just going with friends to the mountains and a couple of new sites, I 'm sure come in handy. This is a great blog!

from kagdi979 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from mohanautumn wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Why not just braid three strands to length...? This seems a little over-complicated. Plus, braiding would take less cord. http://www.hivsymptomshub.com

from mohanautumn wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Might be a dumb question but what are the metal rings that are on the lanyard pictured at the top of the page? http://www.lymediseasesymptomsnow.com

from becharaautumn wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

It took me three hours since I am not a boy scout and did not know how to tie knots. It turned out great and he loved it. Now all his duck friends want one. Glad I bought more cord than I needed. You can't make gust one. http://www.b12deficiencysymptomsweb.com

from becharaautumn wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

It took me three hours since I am not a boy scout and did not know how to tie knots. It turned out great and he loved it. Now all his duck friends want one. Glad I bought more cord than I needed. You can't make gust one. http://www.bedbugbitescure.com

from harryautumn wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

I braided mine and didn't have all the call holders in one spot. I used white rope and dyed by going over it with brown shoe polish and then adding darker spots with black shoe polish. The I soaked it in hot water to get the extra shoe polish out. http://www.automobilehouse.com/maruti-suzuki-wagon-r-mileage/

from nidhivohra33 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

This is something very nice and good. http://www.protocolmania.com

from harrystephen wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

It took me three hours since I am not a boy scout and did not know how to tie knots. It turned out great and he loved it. Now all his duck friends want one. Glad I bought more cord than I needed. You can't make gust one. http://www.bluewafflediseasehq.com

from harrystephen wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I braided mine and didn't have all the call holders in one spot. I used white rope and dyed by going over it with brown shoe polish and then adding darker spots with black shoe polish. The I soaked it in hot water to get the extra shoe polish out. http://www.appendicitissymptomsnow.com

from WiFi Extender wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Where's the best place to get parachute cord?

from shreyabhatt wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Wow, excellent, I tied to do this myself manytimes without luck.. :( http://www.gjobs.co.in/

from sega888 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

very useful information on the laces! I was looking for it for my travels! http://www.trussvillecoc.org

from suemendes wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Thank you www.fieldandstream.com

from amandamccabe wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Really, it is great idea. It is so important. Thank you for your post. I have buy a book about this topic before on www.kitapra.com

from Xman98 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Its a little confusing
Somebody should make a video on how to make it.

from WildlifeForestry wrote 19 weeks 5 days ago

Great post; I wish I knew exactly how to start the first knot. Still no video?

Timber Consultant Louisiana

from Winchester 92 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from whitetailkjf wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

THANK YOU i just used a realllllly long shoe lace but it still worked

from hengst wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from TheEasternShore... wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

it is kind of confusing

from HuskyKMA wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from abiddle013 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from codyboyd wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

This would be stronger and it looks nicer than a 3 strand braid.

from pigman45 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from whattheduck wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from mopedfredd wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I REALIZED THAT....you need to "weave between" the two original chrods. Duh!!!
Thanks for this project. Keep 'em coming.

from mopedfredd wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I meant. "chords".

from Nolan wrote 4 years 1 week ago

Thank You! This really works great. Why buy a
$20.00 lanyard when you can make your own?

from chrismerrill wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from JGooding1 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from zogski wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from wiegs1992 wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I made one for my dad for xmas and he loved it.very easy to make!

from deer dropper wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from trapper wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I'm going to tie this right now

from best wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Best Costumes 2010

from Raven1 wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

from ksigtuck wrote 3 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks

from BoarHunter wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

ksigtuck those are bands from waterfowl.

from Recoil Rob wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from harryautumn wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from nidhivohra33 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

This is something very nice and good. http://www.protocolmania.com

from harrystephen wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from harrystephen wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from WiFi Extender wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Where's the best place to get parachute cord?

from shreyabhatt wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from sega888 wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago

from suemendes wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Thank you www.fieldandstream.com

from amandamccabe wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from Xman98 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

Its a little confusing
Somebody should make a video on how to make it.

from WildlifeForestry wrote 19 weeks 5 days ago

Great post; I wish I knew exactly how to start the first knot. Still no video?

Timber Consultant Louisiana