Big Buck Alert: Wyoming Typical is Official State Archery Record

Like lots of early season hunters, Shane Sanderson has often patterned trophy whitetails in the last weeks of summer, only to have them disappear come opening day. But he executed his opening gambit perfectly on the archery opener (Sept. 1), shooting a 170-inch typical, which earlier this month was unveiled as Wyoming’s state-record bowkill buck.

Sanderson, of Kinnear, Wyoming, had been watching a pair of shooters on the family ranch when an even bigger buck showed up Aug. 1.

“He just dwarfed the largest of the deer I’d been watching, which was in the high 150s,” Sanderson says. “I knew right away this was the buck I was going after.”

After tracking the deer through his spotting scope three or four nights a week, Sanderson decided to erect a ground blind near a field corner that bucks consistently used to enter a grass field. Because deer were using the field as a staging area before entering some adjacent alfalfa fields to feed, Sanderson was betting he could get a shot at the buck well before sunset.

He arrived at the blind around 5:30 p.m., spooking several deer that were already in the field. An hour later he spotted the original pair of shooters he’d been scouting all summer. Ten minutes later the big boy himself showed.

“He stood in the fence line in thick brush and watched the field awhile, then he jumped the fence into the field about 35 yards from me,” Sanderson says. “He was facing straight on so I had no shot. But after a few minutes the other deer in the field started running around, and he finally turned and gave me a shot—and I took it.”

Sanderson, 39, has hunted most of his years, the last 13 of them with a bow. He has shot bucks he estimates would score in the 140s, but he never entered them in the record book.

“I don’t look at that stuff a lot, and I didn’t even know what the state record was,” he says. “But after I talked to the taxidermist and put a tape to the rack, he said I ought to start looking into the record.”

But first, he had a difficult decision to make.

“I’ve been after a velvet buck since I started hunting, and this is the first one I’ve got,” Sanderson explains. “I’d have to strip it just to get it into the record book. It took me a long time to decide whether I wanted to do that. I finally figured, yeah, this is a buck that people should know about.”

The scoring delay explains why Sanderson’s opening day trophy, which netted 170 3/8 inches in the Pope & Young record book, was only recently announced as the new state record.

“The taxidermist has had a lot of people going in to look at the horns, and they’ll ask if someone ran back to Iowa or somewhere in the Midwest and shot a buck,” Sanderson says. “They’re surprised. People just can’t believe this was a Wyoming buck.”

from AAM wrote 1 year 4 days ago

What bow is that?

from clinchknot wrote 1 year 4 days ago

There are so many of these high fenced in hunting preserves, food plots to generate big antlers, and critters I don't even recognize any records anymore.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from Shane Sanderson wrote 1 year 4 days ago

clinchknot... No my buck is not a high fence game preserve deer, for one thing those places are illegal in Wyoming. There were no food plots used other than hay fields and native grass. There were also no special minerals or feeds used.

This is 100% fair chase.

AAM it is a Darton DS3800

from AAM wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Thanks for the answer Mr. Sanderson.

from Shawn Smith wrote 1 year 3 days ago

What a fine looking specimen! I would love to see a deer of this caliber in my neck of the woods.

from triplebeam1978 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

I live in Iowa & I shot a typical 8 pointer that grosses low 160's & nets in the mid 150's this year with my muzzleloader.But I am use to seeing really big deer here in Iowa.

from triplebeam1978 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

from Iklwa wrote 1 year 3 days ago

It is gratifying indeed to see a man of the land get the trophy of a lifetime!
My congratulations to you!
Iklwa

from Shane Sanderson wrote 1 year 3 days ago

thanks Iklwa

from dusticlesorr wrote 1 year 3 days ago

This might be an odd question but did the taxidermist tell you about keeping the velvet on the antlers.....will it dry and seperate over time or is there a way to keep it on.

from Williefan01 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

Just my opinion but you shouldn't be able to shoot deer with velvet. Wait until real hunting season

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Shane Sanderson wrote 1 year 2 days ago

Williefan01. just curious what do you consider "real hunting season"

I had to have the velvet stripped to have him scored.

from Gary Devine wrote 1 year 2 days ago

Shane, Congratulations on a fantastic trophy mule deer buck. Anybody who bags an animal with a bow and arrow is the “real deal hunting season” in my eyes.

This buck was killed at thirty five yards with an arrow. If Shane waited to the rifle season he could have killed this same buck in his rifle scope at five hundred yards. Bow hunting is more of a sport and being that close to your prey, more things could go wrong. The game animal could easily see you, hear you or smell you.

from Casey Walker wrote 52 weeks 12 hours ago

Shane you put in the work, you put in the time, you did it the right way. I don't care if it was shot with a rifle, bow, muzzle loader, or a spit wad. Doing it the right way is what matters! I've moved from Western Nebraska to SW Wyoming so I don't see many whitetails anymore but I can't wait to get after some mule deer and elk this fall! Great Job on this one!

from Wynn05 wrote 51 weeks 11 hours ago

Shane, nice buck! It's too bad there's a couple jealous fools on this page trying to drag down your accomplishment... Your handling them better than I would, that's for sure! We have a velvet hunt in AZ also, and it's my favorite time to hunt coues deer! Again, beautiful deer!

from Justin Kolb wrote 50 weeks 5 days ago

Gary Devine this is not a mule deer. Its a whitetail as mentioned before this would be a small mule deer. Nice buck buddy and nice weapon you are a hunting machine.You deserve this deer just for the scouting effort you put forth.

from Gary Devine wrote 50 weeks 3 days ago

Justin Kolb, Thank you for correction.
I assumed it was a mule deer because it had a giant rack of antlers and deer was taken in Wyoming that has a large mule deer population. My mistake for skimming past the photo.
I gave you a plus one for your comment. Thanks again.

from skyhunter44 wrote 46 weeks 3 days ago

great buck for that state. the only one I ever saw that had a larger rack went by the name of "Stickers" and Bill Jordan shot over that one well over ten years ago while hunting with Seven J Outfitters.

big time congrats for a job very well done. just spectacular!

from veg01 wrote 46 weeks 1 day ago

You can call hunting a sport or fair chase when the animals are armed and can defend themselves until then its just shooting defenseless animals! Wow Great accomplishment!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from JohnRoberts wrote 16 weeks 4 days ago

A fine buck as well done! I'd be very pleased if I took that one down and would be off to the taxidermist with a grin. Did you use a scope? www.bestriflescopereview.net How long did it take to track? @veg01 this is a hunting site!

from Shane Sanderson wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

No scope used, Peep sight and sight pins. once we started tracking it took a couple of hours since the storm washed most of the blood away and it was in some fairly thick brush and trees.

from Shane Sanderson wrote 1 year 4 days ago

This is 100% fair chase.

AAM it is a Darton DS3800

from AAM wrote 1 year 4 days ago

What bow is that?

from Shane Sanderson wrote 1 year 2 days ago

Williefan01. just curious what do you consider "real hunting season"

I had to have the velvet stripped to have him scored.

from Gary Devine wrote 1 year 2 days ago

from Casey Walker wrote 52 weeks 12 hours ago

from Justin Kolb wrote 50 weeks 5 days ago

from AAM wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Thanks for the answer Mr. Sanderson.

from Shawn Smith wrote 1 year 3 days ago

from triplebeam1978 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

from triplebeam1978 wrote 1 year 3 days ago

from Iklwa wrote 1 year 3 days ago

It is gratifying indeed to see a man of the land get the trophy of a lifetime!
My congratulations to you!
Iklwa

from Shane Sanderson wrote 1 year 3 days ago

thanks Iklwa

from dusticlesorr wrote 1 year 3 days ago

from Wynn05 wrote 51 weeks 11 hours ago

from Gary Devine wrote 50 weeks 3 days ago

Justin Kolb, Thank you for correction.
I gave you a plus one for your comment. Thanks again.

from skyhunter44 wrote 46 weeks 3 days ago

big time congrats for a job very well done. just spectacular!

from JohnRoberts wrote 16 weeks 4 days ago