Squirrel Hunting Tips

Stalking squirrels means hunting on the move and looking for beechnuts

There are two classic ways to hunt squirrels—sit and wait, or stalk. Andrew Lewand, a New York hunter who writes about squirrel hunting at bucksnorthuntingworld.com, prefers the latter. “When the trees are still in full foliage, it’s difficult to see squirrels, so I stalk slowly. I look for moving leaves that indicate squirrels scurrying along the limbs above me.”

The Listening Game If you hear cuttings (the sound of falling debris from feeding squirrels) (a), you’re in business. In September, Lewand notes, squirrels prefer beechnuts over all other mast, so concentrate your preseason scouting efforts on finding stands of beech.

On the Ground Stalking places an emphasis on woodsmanship, and a squirrel hunter on the move needs to glide quietly through the woods. “It’s really deer hunting in miniature—a great tune-up for the big-game season,” Lewand says. It also happens to be a great way to start a young hunter. Rather than sitting in a blind for hours (for what may be a single shot), the youth learns how to move slowly and quietly in the woods. He’ll also have the opportunity to shoot more than once (which reaffirms the value of making accurate shots).

Precision Shooting When you spot a squirrel, slowly move into position for a clear shot (b). “Because the target is so small, you really need to practice before the season opens, and that helps in deer season,” Lewand says. He uses a scoped .22 Ruger Model 77 bolt action (with a tuned trigger for enhanced performance) and a Bushnell Banner 4X–12X scope, set mostly on 7X or 8X (c).

Photo by Kevin Hand

The Safe Shot
The crucial thing to keep in mind here is the importance of a backstop. Remember, you’re shooting up, and you want to make sure the bullet
hits the tree if you miss. Though
head shots are preferable, take the shoulder shot if needed.

from 7Derrick wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

Just a random question Mr. White,
on average, how many squirrels do you harvest in a trip?

from flatheadman32 wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

i shot two squirrels yesterday using these tips

from yohan 38 wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

When I hunt squirrels and I am in the woods I take three or four steps(wait look and lissen) if I don't see or hear one I move again. This has always worked for me. Ofcourse I look for oak,walnut,hickory and mullberry trees. If I get tired I set for ten minutes or more under one of these trees with fresh cuttings under them. If this is your first hunt, you stand about 85% chance to bag some squirrels. This has worked for me in Kentucky and Missouri. I have hunted this way sence I was a kid and I am 71 years old now. I have also walked up on deer this way too.

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I'll hunt squirrels any way I can, but my very favorite way is with my Ruger Mark 2 .22lr pistol. I carry it in a shoulder rig and take a mountain bike on old jeep tracks, logging roads, and edges of farm fields. I spot a stand of oaks and hide the bike, then stalk up close to the grove. Then I position myself behind a small tree to use as a brace to steady my shots. I draw the gun and brace myself pointed in the general direction of the stand. Then I vigorously rub two quarters together to make the cutting noise. Squirrels are very territorial and come a-runnin' to see who's "cutting" in on their territory. I've had to shoot in self-defense! I once shot one that I could have caught. It was running straight at me down a drooping limb of an nearby tree. I shot it head-on and it fell at my feet. I started to catch it but didn't want blood on my cycling gloves, so at the last minute I pulled back.

BTW, QuickShock .22LR ammo ROCKS for squirrels! It's HOT and is frangible even at .22LR pistol muzzle velocities.

from jordjohn44 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

The most effective way I find to get your squirrels are stalking and waiting. I start by waiting for sign of squirrels, maybe even giving some calls. When I get any reason to move, I'll move slowly toward where I hear something that seems promising. I then wait again for more signs.
Generally, when you are moving, the squirrels won't. This is why it is necessary to stalk and stop like this. After a period of sitting still, the squirrels will start to stir again. This is your opportunity to make your shot or get yourself closer into position to make that shot.

from philly123 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

nice this will help me a lot thanks

from squirrelkiller wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

the best way that i have found to locate a squirrels is to just watch for the flash of their tail in between tree limbs. I also use a squirrel call it works very well when you spook one because it calms them down and helps bring them to you. Use a soft quiet bark it really helps.

from snapbean wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I have used a call after shooting and missing, when I knew the squirrel was still nearby but hiding in a hole or on the backside of the tree. I waited 5 minutes or so, tapped the call, and the squirrel came right out to check it out.

from adicctedtotrout20 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

havent use that tip yet but will use it this weekend to killt his giant gray squirrel

from bassman3-15 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

It doesn't matter where it is in the tree, if you have a 12 guage or bigger, whatever is in that tree is comin out of there.

from tttitans wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

That's some real info right there. It can really help. Thanks!!

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

This will help me on my next squirrel

from Jr. Squirreler wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

I have wlanut trees in my back yard so i am hooked up. just got my lisence so im going out tomorrow!

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

These tips actually worked thanks dude.

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

These tips actually worked thanks dude.

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

These tips actually worked thanks dude.

from hfedder40 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

i am a kid 12 years old how do i hunt squirrels

from dangerous game wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I am 12 and i hunt squirrels with dogs. gets your adrenaline pumping.the biggest one i have ever killed was over 2 ft long.

from Winchester 92 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I really didn't take squirrel hunting too seriously befor reading this article, but after applying some of these tricks i really notices some improvement in the amount of squirrels i was able to put in my crosshairs - and safely. Thanks Mr. White

from huntingkid95 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Thanks. I am a young hunter and love to go squierrl hunting. This will help me next time I go with my dad.

from jims19 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Ihunt squirrels with a crosman1377 with a .177cal 11.5grain pellet for the challenge Ionly shoot at vital areas so as not to make the animal suffer. This is one powerful pistol at 600 f.p.s. and 9.20 ft.lbs. It will really drop them.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from jims19 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I Ihunt squirrels with a crosman1377 with a .177cal 11.5grain pellet for the challenge I only shoot at vital areas so as not to make the animal suffer. This is one powerful pistol at 600 f.p.s. and 9.20 ft.lbs. It will really drop them.

from Luke.fortier@sb... wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

i have a 20 gauge, that should work fine.

from danielbrothers wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

I usually always hunt squirrels alnoe because I like the challenge of the hunt...even shooting them in the head ONLY... BUT... sometimes those little rascals will get on the backside of the tree as I sneak in... SO... I carry a Big Push Button fishing reel, loaded with Heavy fishing line... and I tie on a pair of pliers or something heavy and noisy. I sit up in shooting position with my 22 rifle, or 22 win mag, or my favorite... the 17 Mach II. Once in position... I lean the gun against my tree... hold the reel in one hand and throw the pliers on the other side of the tree. If fuzzy face does not turn to my side on the throw... I'll jerk it through the brush...which usually does the trick. I use to throw sticks and stones..but I usually brake their bones...LOL. I always ran out of those things. If you can't throw the pliers... then place it in some brush and peel out the line until your in shooting position on the other side... then jerk it or pull it to you.

I always carry a 3 pocket game shooting bag around my waist... which carrys 10 squirrels and the reel setup.

My other little tip is... I carry 6 ft long shooting sticks which I made. I can take BETTER off hand shots with the shooting sticks if I get caught away from a tree. I rather use a tree to my back and place the sticks in front, for a steady shot. I use tall sticks because sometimes squirrels are lying rather straight up in the tree... yet it spreads out for lower shots as well. To me... you gotta have sticks to make consistant head shots. I LOVE to shoot squirrels. Too bad there isn't a squirrel hunting tournament somewhere.

from fisherman14 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I usualy snare squirells so...is a Benjamin a good squirel huntin air rifle?

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from dangerous game wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

yes most benjmains are great for that I assume you are talking about a 392 or 397 multipump. They will work great and are very reliable.

from dovedemon wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

When i squirrel hunt I use a Rueger 10/22 Compact. It is a good rifle because it is semi-automatic and has a 25 round clip so it usually gets the job done right. I usually stalk squirrels through the 27 acres of woods that we have at our house. It is alot of fun with younger cousins. Sometimes it is more fun and challenging to use an air rifle.

from catfish12g wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I prefer to use air riffles when hunting for small game like squirl. They are very cheap to shoot, and when loaded with hollow point pellets can take down a squirl or rabbit in one shot. Not to mention the noise level is a bit less, allowing one to hunt in even small thickits near residential areas.

from Modern Day Moun... wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I just got a .22 marlin, gonna try it out with these tips.

from zrock365@yahoo.com wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I saw a huge squirrel in my front yard today.

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

i prefer to stalk quietly on the ground and use somting to bait em in helps a lot

from greenmountainboy wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

i just started hunting squirrels because i graduated high school and have some time on my hands. im a deer hunter normally. i was just wondering, so in your guys opinions do you thing most squirrels are taken while hanging out in a tree or running on the ground? because i never look in the trees/ should i be looking there more so than the ground or what? ive also been using the 2 quarter trick where you bang them together to call them in. and making like kissing sounds in my hands. i read to do it. any other tips as well?

from Timmy12 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

squirrels are easy pickens and they taste pretty good too.

from trapper529 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Thanks alot i will try these tips. I am going to start hunting squirrels with my .22 pistol.

from matt7987 wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

nice tips, will defenitely use these

from sterndixon wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I stalk hunt with my handy Primos Trigger Stick (the standing size). During nest building phase, the squirrels tend to be more active all day. When less active during the day, I tend to set up in a prime location at the end of the day and try to pick off a couple before light falls. Bonus points if a rabbit walks nearby.

from 007 wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

I look forward to the first day of squirrel season with almost the same level of zeal as the first day of deer season and I usually carry my TC Contender wit a 10" .22 magnum barrel.

from casey11 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

i use a rossi 410.

from The-Dead-Of-Night wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Only problem with these tips is when you're in woods with house really close, so you're stuck using a BB rifle.
My Daisy Grizzly works well for me, but my Daisy PowerLine 880 works even better.
For those who are like me, stuck using BB rifles, try setting up a stand in some trees if you can.
If this isn't a possibility, find some cover and wait until you hear squirrel action (cutting, running, etc.) and then peek out. Using a scope is ideal.
And try setting up a hole in a tree that's young, if you can. Then when the tree grows more, the squirrels will use the hole as a habitat.
Or, scout during the winter by looking for tracks in the snow. Mark the trees the squirrels climb in a way the squirrels won't notice (such as small marks in the bark, orange spray paint, stuff like that) and then when season comes, keep your eye on those trees. Also figure out the trees squirrels run and hide in typically when you spook them.

Bait...
Reese's Peanut Butter cups are best. Squirrels go nuts over these.

from Zacpro wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I hunt them with a Ruger 10/22. These are great tips!

from joshfish1 wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I like both methods, i use a ruger 10/22 or a pistol. squirrel hunting is my favorite type of hunting.

from smallgamehunter25 wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

Might sound silly, but I found that the best method for me is to go to where I commonly sit for deer. One reason is because of the corn I put out, that and its almost all white oak. Place is loaded with the lil tree rats.

from Buckmaster909 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Squrruls (and other things) love sunflowerseeds so I hunt near food plots that have them. I learned that becase I got my first one out of our garden, witch contained sunflowers.

from NJBuckhunter wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

thanks for the tips ill use them when im squirrel hunting

from Bill Crone wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I live in the country, There are no trees by my house. The only trees are in a nearby town. That or a much larger city.I doubt
the people in town or in the city would take very kindly to my squirrel hunting in a yard near their home. Needless to say, I don't do squirrel hunting. Would that I could. Thanks

from trophybuckmaster wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

thanks for these tips they all work good for squirrel hunting

from colpmn wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I used these tips last year they worked great. thanks.

from smallgamehunter8 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Honestly Im getting alot more tips from the comments, thanks guys!

from TheSmallGameExpert98 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

I'm a kid.. I'm 13 years old. I'm a starter to squirrel hunting. I'm using a daisy powerline 35... But lately I've only seen a little bit of squirrels.. any tips on how to attract them??? Any certain foods or anything??? One last question....... How can i make a perfect squirrel call???

from Logan Smith wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Im going hunting at my uncles and im using a 760pumpmaster BB gun is that a good gun to hunt with

from Matt Weeks 17 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

My Henry .22 is the best squirrel hunting gun!

from Deerquiver wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

The Crossman 760pumpmaster BB gun is a great gun for squirrel hunting my son uses one and has taken 10 squirrels with it this year

from TheHunter60 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

How would you stalk without spooking the squirrels becase i sit and wait and it seems like i never get more than 3 shots at a time?

from christopher12 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

i have a question. where are the best places to hunt squirrel. i live out in the country and i have only seen 1 squirrel in the past 3 years around my house and in the woods? And wheres the best place to buy squirrel calls?

from Jarrey12 wrote 2 years 5 days ago

Since i was little i practiced putting pellets through a cherioh at 25yrds and when i was finally able to i never missed a squirrel and these tips helped me out even more!

from missedit wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

For a young kid a 410 ga. shotgun with a full choke is great.
They don't flinch becuse the kick is minimal.
Also the lead wont fly as far as the lead out of a 22 can travel a mile if nothing is in its way.
Teach them principle of target & beyond!!!
They can forget when excited.
Be safe have fun.

from Kenneth Wayne Barr wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

If you can not see an eye do not shoot. If you see a eye you are look at its head and will make a head shot and will not damage any meat.

from GAsqhntr wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Head shots should not be used to take squirrels with air guns or .22 rifles. Squirrels move their heads around too much and it is too easy to hit them in the jaw causing them to escape and die slowly of starvation. They should be shot in the rib cage close behind the front leg. This will kill cleanly and not waste meat. Air guns used for squirrels should be accurate and powerful. .177 air guns should shoot at least 800 feet per second with hunting weight pellets or a lot of squirrels will run off. Most advertised velocity specifications are for the lightest pellet available are much lower for hunting weight pellets. .22 air guns should shoot at least 650 feet per second with hunting weight pellets. I usually kill over 100 squirrels per year and I use a Gamo Hunter 220 rated at 1000 ft. per second for the .177 and 750 ft. per second for the .22. My favorite .22 rim fire ammo is standard speed short target at 1050 feet per second and 70 ft. lbs. muzzle energy but it is not accurate in a lot of guns chambered for .22 long rifle ammo. A .410 shotgun with #5 hard shot will kill squirrels to 35yards and they are hard to kill farther with any kind of shotgun. Squirrels are easier to kill when they are actively feeding and can be more closely approached. An air gun, especially with a flat point pellet quickly loses velocity and energy so I stalk as close as possible before shooting. I clean squirrels by cutting threw their tails as close to the vent as possible but not threw the skin. I stand on the tail and pull steady on the back legs until the front legs are free then pull the v shaped hide from their belly up and off the back legs. I use kitchen shears to open the chest and belly and to trim belly flab and rib cage and to remove the feet.

from Dennis Bowles wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

squirrel hunting hq (dot) com
is an entire resource for squirrel hunters. I tried to link to it to spread the word but no links allowed.

from yohan 38 wrote 4 years 31 weeks ago

from 7Derrick wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

Just a random question Mr. White,
on average, how many squirrels do you harvest in a trip?

from flatheadman32 wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

i shot two squirrels yesterday using these tips

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from jordjohn44 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Luke.fortier@sb... wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

i have a 20 gauge, that should work fine.

from Zacpro wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I hunt them with a Ruger 10/22. These are great tips!

from NJBuckhunter wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

thanks for the tips ill use them when im squirrel hunting

from trophybuckmaster wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

thanks for these tips they all work good for squirrel hunting

from squirrelkiller wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from snapbean wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from adicctedtotrout20 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

This will help me on my next squirrel

from Jr. Squirreler wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

These tips actually worked thanks dude.

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

These tips actually worked thanks dude.

from CarliusD0 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

These tips actually worked thanks dude.

from Winchester 92 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from danielbrothers wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Modern Day Moun... wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I just got a .22 marlin, gonna try it out with these tips.

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 28 weeks ago

from The-Dead-Of-Night wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Bait...
Reese's Peanut Butter cups are best. Squirrels go nuts over these.

from smallgamehunter25 wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

from Buckmaster909 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from Bill Crone wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from colpmn wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I used these tips last year they worked great. thanks.

from TheHunter60 wrote 2 years 12 weeks ago

from Dennis Bowles wrote 1 year 2 weeks ago

squirrel hunting hq (dot) com

from philly123 wrote 4 years 26 weeks ago

nice this will help me a lot thanks

from bassman3-15 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from tttitans wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

That's some real info right there. It can really help. Thanks!!

from hfedder40 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

i am a kid 12 years old how do i hunt squirrels

from dangerous game wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from huntingkid95 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from jims19 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from dangerous game wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from dovedemon wrote 3 years 40 weeks ago

from catfish12g wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from zrock365@yahoo.com wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I saw a huge squirrel in my front yard today.

from greenmountainboy wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

from Timmy12 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

squirrels are easy pickens and they taste pretty good too.

from trapper529 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from matt7987 wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

nice tips, will defenitely use these

from sterndixon wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 10 weeks ago

from casey11 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

i use a rossi 410.

from joshfish1 wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from smallgamehunter8 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Honestly Im getting alot more tips from the comments, thanks guys!

from TheSmallGameExpert98 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

from Logan Smith wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Matt Weeks 17 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

My Henry .22 is the best squirrel hunting gun!

from Deerquiver wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

from christopher12 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Jarrey12 wrote 2 years 5 days ago

from missedit wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

For a young kid a 410 ga. shotgun with a full choke is great.
They don't flinch becuse the kick is minimal.
Teach them principle of target & beyond!!!
They can forget when excited.
Be safe have fun.

from Kenneth Wayne Barr wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from GAsqhntr wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

from jims19 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from fisherman14 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

I usualy snare squirells so...is a Benjamin a good squirel huntin air rifle?

-1 Good Comment? | | Report