Discussion Topic: Field & Stream Wins ASME’s Highest Honor

Field Notes

May 01, 2009

Discussion Topic: Field & Stream Wins ASME’s Highest Honor

By Dave Hurteau

F&S is the best magazine of its size on the planet. Okay, I’m a little biased on that point--but it’s not just me who thinks so. Last night, the country’s top magazine editors representing the country’s top magazines met at New York City’s Lincoln Center for the 44th Annual National Magazine Awards. Known as Ellies, these are basically the Oscars of the magazine industry, and “General Excellence” is “Best Picture.”

The 2009 General Excellence nominees for magazines with a circulation of 1 to 2 million were: Field & Stream, Bon Appetit, The New Yorker, Vogue, and Popular Science. And the winner is, from the American Society of Magazine Editors website:

Field & Stream: Anthony Licata, editor, for May, June, December/January issues
From tips on becoming a total outdoorsman to profiles of veteran amputees reentering the world of hunting,
Field & Stream respects its readers enough to challenge them. Like all great magazines, this one is much more ambitious than it needs to be and delivers the goods, but also provokes with content that is consistently savvy, witty and large-hearted. Nominated 14 times, this is Field & Stream’s first Ellie.

I know all of you have been waiting for an opportunity to heap praise on us—and who are we to hold you back? So just go for it.

from Big O wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Congrats. you guys deserved it. With the exception of getting rid of "the huntress" that is.

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I have to agree with O on that one. Congrats and keep up the good work!

from stumpthumper wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Way to go! It's a awesome magazine. My favorite, by far.

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

F&S is the best hunting mag by miles - there's still the matter of my undelivered subscription though.
SBW

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Toot that horn again!

You deserve it, and no one will do it for you!

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Tell me something that I don't already know!

In April of 2005,I was sitting in a retail tire center, waiting for tires to be placed on my vehicle. They had a TV on with "Jerry Springer," and I was bored out of my gourd.

I took some deep breaths and centered my being, as I whispered the mantra, ommmm ... I looked for some reading material and found the "ANNIVERSARY ISSUE of FIELD & STREAM," May,2005.

I began to read the article, "the Legends of Fishing," by John Merwin. I read in depth, and was astounded how entertaining and informative, the composition was, especially when I read about a fellow Kentuckian, George Snyder, of Paris,Kentucky, who produced some of the first baitcasters.(1810 to 1821)

Just as I was getting deeper into the subject, the retail manager said my truck was ready ... darn!
I wasn't even ready, because I wasn't through reading about,"the Legends of Fishing."

Well, I'm no thief, so I took the soft copy up to the manager,expained my delimna, and offered him 5-bucks for their copy of F&S.

He said to go ahead and take their copy! I became a subscriber shortly there after, cancelling all other subscriptions, because F&S has it all!

Congratulations F&S in your success ... keep on truckin'!

from shane wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I do a lot of magazine reading, and not only does F&S beat the crap out of the other outdoor magazines, It is generally superior in every way to the other rags I read. This is more than deserved.

The contributors write about legends in the magazine, but one of these days, people will be writing about some of them as such.

from jbird wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

It's about time. Keep up the excellent work. There isn't a sportsman's mag that even comes close!

from chadlove wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Is it just me, or does the actual Ellie award resemble some kind of Klingon battle weapon?

I mean, really, that damn thing looks dangerous.

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Lucky for F&S that The New Yorker pooped in its mess kit with the "Politics of fear" cartoon. It must have killed the liberal elite to recognize a magazine that caters to rednecks, clingerers, and uneducated hicks such as ourselves.

Congratulations and keep up the good work. No Chad, this is not justification for your continued bashing of the Bush Administration.

from chadlove wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Actually, teufelhunden I'm neither a part of the F&S editorial team nor am I a F&S masthead writer. I'm simply a guest blogger on the F&S website and I had nothing to do nor did I make any contribution to winning the Ellie so give credit where credit is due. It's quite an accomplishment.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Congrats to Field and Stream. Not only is that an awesome accomplishment within itself but it gives me a little sense of security that there are a lot of people out there who love to fish and hunt. Good to hear that this sport will live on.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Should anyone have expected any other outcome?

from peter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

thats great. i cant beleve you bet all of them huge magazines but you do right the best in my opinion.

from Christian Emter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Congrats. I love your magazine. it is put together nicely and has cool pictures and good information.

from Big O wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I have to agree with O on that one. Congrats and keep up the good work!

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Tell me something that I don't already know!

Congratulations F&S in your success ... keep on truckin'!

from shane wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from stumpthumper wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Way to go! It's a awesome magazine. My favorite, by far.

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

SBW

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Toot that horn again!

You deserve it, and no one will do it for you!

from chadlove wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I mean, really, that damn thing looks dangerous.

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from chadlove wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Should anyone have expected any other outcome?

from peter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago