Bourjaily: Why Hevi Shot Is The Most Important Shotgunning Invention of the Decade

The Gun Nuts

December 30, 2009

By Phil Bourjaily

For this, my last post of the 00s, I had been trying for a while – and failing --  to think of an end-of-the-decade blog post. My “Eureka” moment came while cleaning up after cooking our Christmas goose. I heard the “tink” of metal falling into the kitchen sink. When I fished the misshapen pellet pictured above out of the sink I realized Hevi Shot is the most significant invention in shotgunning of the past 10 years.

There have been some excellent new guns introduced in the past decade, but most of them, no matter how good, are merely refinements on what came before.* By contrast, Hevi Shot changed the way we think about shotgun ammunition.

Hevi Shot wasn’t the first non-toxic pellet to try to improve on the performance of steel.  When it was introduced in 2000, however, it was the first pellet engineered to improve on the performance of lead. While its competitors were almost as dense as lead, Hevi Shot was denser (lead weighs 11.2 grams per cubic centimeter;  Hevi Shot weights 12 g/cc) giving it exceptional long range reach.

It was, as you can see here, comically deformed. Conventional shotgun wisdom held that the more perfect the sphere, the better the pattern. Hevi Shot looked like byproduct, not pellets, but it patterned more tightly than the best lead loads despite (some say because of) its mutant shape. Hevi Shot’s density  meant  could shoot smaller shot slower – with less recoil – and still outperform any steel load on the market. Or, you could drive big loads of Hevi Shot at high velocities and have the most lethal shotshells ever made for hunting. Hevi Shot’s tight patterns changed turkey hunting, too, making 40 yard guns into 50 yard guns (whether that is a change for the better or not is a different argument).
The invention of Hevi Shot prompted Remington, Federal and Winchester to develop their own similar HD, Heavyweight and Xtended Range pellets. Given the scarcity of raw tungsten, none of them are cheap and none ever will be, but all of them outperform any lead load ever made.

So, that is my nominee for most important shotgunning invention of the past decade. You may have your own ideas. Let’s hear them.

*as I am unfailingly reminded by loyal 1100 shooters whenever I write about a new semiautomatic shotgun.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Heavy Shot was definitely a huge step in non-tox lethality. I'm still bugged by the price tag though. I still buy steel for what I need to kill by means of non-tox and I still scream and kick at the ground when a monster canadian laughs at the tickle he got from the weak punch of steel. I still resort to getting the highest velocity 3.5" shells to get that extra punch instead of spending more for heavy weight rounds. I'm stubborn like that. My shoulder bruises wish I wasn't so stubborn.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

P.S.- I did get an email back from a casting director for the History Channel's Top Shot. I have to wait for him to review my video to hear if I'll get invited to LA for an interview. I'll keep the gun nut crowd posted if I hear any more.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I am not amongst the fortunate people who get to do so much waterfowl hunting that the cost of the ammo is a big concern. For me it is hevishot or Kent Tungsten-Matrix.

No Bourjaily opinions on Kent Tungsten-Matrix ?

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

btw a good trivia question I've stumped some college science majors on is "how can the new shot claim to be heavier than lead?"

what stumps them is the incorrect assumption that it is the atomic weight of the ingredients. It is not.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

i've used heavy shot a few times but i'm like many others where price is a concern. a great load though.

from SD Bob wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I hear people comment on the high price all the time but for most hunters who use Hevi Shot, they kill with less shots due to it's lethality which actually brings the cost inline when you compare shots fired to birds killed. When I hunt divers, I only use Hevi sixes now and since making this conversion, I usually get 1 bird per shot versus knocking a bird down with steel to not retrieve it. Of course when you miss, the stuff is pretty damn expensive!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

SD, Good for you we will all be rooting for you!

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Elmer Fudd -- I love Kent Tungsten-Matrix and do a lot of upland hunting in non-toxic areas with it. It's safe for older and higher-grade guns, and I especially like the softness of the pellets -- if you bite one at the dinner table, it squishes instead of hurting your teeth.
T-M was developed in the 90s, though, and therefore didn't qualify for "most important invention of the decade." And, it was engineered to duplicate lead ballistics, while Hevi Shot was made to surpass lead.

from Bernie wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I haven't used Hevi-shot but have used a lot of Bismuth and Tungsten-iron in my Rem. SP-10 in 10 gauge. It is very effective on big Canada honkers, so much so that I sold almost all of my anemic steel loads. Steel is OK for mallards at 30-35 yards but beyond that, I don't like it. When you consider the fewer shots needed with other non-toxics, the exorbitant prices become more reasonable. I often had to shoot geese on the ground after knocking them down with steel.

from FOWL_attitude wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have seen Heavi Shot do AMAZING things. However.. I still can't justify spending $3.00 per shell. Most people can't. I just call those birds in a little closer & make them land in my lap. Kent Faststeel is leathal stuff on anything within 45yds!! Don't get me wrong. Heavi Shot is an incredible product. It's just WAY over-priced. I mean, ten dollars every time you unload your gun... Come on. It's time the price is lowered a bit on this stuff!

from Jeff270 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I agree with Fowl. I haven't had a problem taking honkers with steel. Get em close and swing on the heads (not the bodies). They flop just as good as they did with lead.

from country road wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Turkey hunters, such as myself, are some of the most enthusiastic users of Heavi Shot. I don't have to shell out for a lot of them, so missing a turkey isn't as much of a financial setback as the more prolific shooting involved in waterfowling. I really like the Federal Heavyweight #6 in 3 1/2 in. magnum. It can reach out and touch those shy gobblers. They don't even flop much.

from Gritz wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I am thankful for fancy new loads for shotgun because I really enjoy rabbit hunting and turkey hunting and I only have one shotgun, so to be able to hunt confidently with a 20 gauge is really something nice for me. Last fall I bagged a nice jake at 30 yards and he was dead dead dead upon impact. One shot and it pinned him down like a tack.

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have to agree with the assessment. Hevi-shot and the other hi-density steel alternatives are a huge step up for shotgunners.

I was cynical, largely due to the cost, but I felt as a lot of guys do that all you need to do is let 'em get close before shooting. But a morning in the marsh with Bismuth (can't shoot Hevi in my old double) convinced me in five shots. I always thought I was hitting birds well with steel, but my confidence was hurting when those same birds kept flying. The Bismuth killed, and quick, and it didn't take long to realize the problem before wasn't so much me as it was my ammo.

I still hate shooting it because of the price, but I've just about given over waterfowling anyway. For the four or five trips a season I take, there's no way I'd switch back to steel.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Steel isn't much good past 35-yds no matter what size shot is used.

Lower Heavi-Shot prices are a must to make it a standard in the field. Presently, it's the price of a bottle of boutique beer scattering over the countryside.

Killing Geese is difficult. It was difficult with old fashion lead shot. I learned never to shoot at a goose coming head-on.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I rarely get to hunt for waterfowl, so when I do I don't shoot anything but Hevi-Shot. The stuff is incredible: last year we were duck hunting, and had some geese fly by before we could change our loads, and we killed three at 35 yards with 3 inch Hevi-Shot number 6s. Number 6s! Dropped them right out of the sky. Incredible stuff...

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Of course, like some of the guys have said, it is WAY overpriced...but when you only hunt waterfowl 3-4 times a year, it's worth it. (I still flinch every time I miss though.)

from focusfront wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Phil;

I agree with you 100% about Heavi-Shot. I'd go farther and say that improved ammo in general is the most important change in ALL shooting in the last ten years. While most of our firearms are variations of 100 year old themes, Heavi-Shot has given us back the 20 gauge as a duck or turkey gun (see Gritz's comment), and new bullet designs such as Hornady Lever Evolution rounds have rewritten the book on standard calibers.

Bottom line; would you rather be in a duck or goose blind with the most modern whiz-bang Benelli or Beretta shooting steel, or in that same blind with a 40 year old Remington 870 or 1100 shooting Hevi-Shot? Be honest!

from Edwin Obrecht wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I think you overlooked the major improvement in shotgun slugs. The new sabot slugs are so far superior to the slugs of a decade ago. Thanks

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Hevishot is good stuff for turkey hunting. The gobblers drop without much twitching. Lucked out last week and found a close out - got 5 boxes of 10 for only $10 per box.
Only a buck a shot----Happy New Year indeed.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I like Heavi-shot, but like Elmer Fudd, I prefer the tungsten matrix.
I have to admit though I did not have any problems whacking Snow Geese cleanly with large steel shot and my 10 gauge BPS stalker; and that with a 24 inch barrel.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Bourjaily

Question for you!

When I was 13, I shot a coyote with #6's and killed it!

So the question is this, it took me 50 rounds to kill it NO JOKE!

So did it die of heavy shot, lead poisoning, carrying to much weight or ??????????

from kudukid wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

12/11.2 X 40 = 42.86 Where does 50 yards come from? That is a pretty big leap.

from Whackdaddy wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Hevi-Shot has recently shaved the density of its pellets down to 9.0g/cc, putting it on a level playing field with lead. I'll take Wingmaster HD for the money at 12.0g/cc. But, I agree Hevi-Shot is perhaps the most significant development in shotgunning the past 10 years.

from kennyt wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

This may not come for a few more decades, but I just dreamed up an idea just yesterday for a new shot developement. Again, I understand that this idea would be very expensive and maybe never reasonable, but how about having shot with built in gps reciever that would be activated when shot out of gun. Then just take any handheld gps and retrieve the bird. This would come in very handy for the bird that is just wounded and flew a few hundred yards and will die anyway. I find that most hunters do not count this in thier bag as they should, nor do they attempt to retrieve it. This would probably out do just about any dog on a hit bird that is running too. Yes, I do have a dog.
BTW- I love heavy shot for turkey.
Bag of worms open.

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

You guys raise a good point about slugs which have become remarkably accurate, but the Federal loaded the first premium bullet in a shotgun slug in the 90s, so it didn't meet my "most important of the decade" requirement.

KennyT -- maybe instead of using a GPS you could use a sensitive metal detector of some kind, tuned to find some metal mixed into the shot for that specific purpose.

from sskbkrdg wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

WHEN or is someone working on a "better" buckshot ??? The only improvement I've seen in years has been copper plating. Allot of deer around here are lost every year because of buckshots inherent flaws of tiny wound channels- in addition to the common factors-shooting out of range and poor shot placement. I'd pay a little more for a quicker,more effective buckshot load.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I have shot ducks&geese out to 65yardds with steel 2s. I grew up with a shotgun in my hand allthough I would like to try some Hevishot Classic double in some of my M12s or WingMaster 20gauge.

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Clay Cooper -- I think that coyote got tired of being shot and died so you'd quit firing.
idduckhntr -- I have shot ducks and geese a long way away with steel 2s and BBs, too. It's hard to explain, but HEVI Shot kills them deader, faster.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Phil I am not arguing with you, I have shot Hevishot and steel and out to 50 yards I cant tell the diferance. Hevi steel on the other hand I have no use for bought 2 boxes of it and I think its worthless did not have good results. Whats your thought?

from Wild Bill wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Phil,
Enjoyed your article on Hevi-Shot. It is a fitting tribute to Mr. D. Amick the inventor and passionate pioneer of new ideas.
I would suggest, at least for an honorable mention, the
1999 introduction of XPERT steel shot by Winchester. For
full disclosure, we make this steel shot and are witness to the commercial success of this affordable option for non-tox shot loads. Like Hevi Shot, this product pioneered the use of cast steel shot vs. the traditional
rounded wire shot. XPERT sales have grown each year since the introduction a decade ago. Lastly for those who might be interested, 100% of the XPERT shot is made in the USA, unlike Remington and Federal steel shot from
China. A USA-made, commercial success could deserve a mention.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Wild Bill I shoot the Win Expert steel loads and love then in 3in 1 1/8 #2s at 1550.

from trapper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

a-men brother and think the lord for this great gift we call hevi-shot

from Melvin2344 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Then there are those FEDERAL 12-Ga-3"-Mag loaded into shells that are SHORTER than 3" ! When STEEL is already such a STEAL , why skimp on putting the FULL possible load down-range , by at least using a FULL SIZE SHELL !

I wonder if anyone ELSE has ever measured their SO-CALLED MAGNUM shells to see if they are getting ROOKED ! Sure hope that HEVI-SHOT shells are not shortened to the same extent , to give the Geese ( etc. ! ) a better fighting chance !

from TurkeyMaster55 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

That would definately do some damage to an animal.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Phil, it excels, it does wonders in waterfowl hunting. I need some info about fully cupped lead #1 buckshot in 16 gauge that doesn't cause barrel scrub. I am shooting older stuff (buffered) and it is pretty hard on the ol wingmaster, also will we see flight control wad 20 gauge in #3, or #2 buckshot?

from focusfront wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Phil;

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from SD Bob wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

No Bourjaily opinions on Kent Tungsten-Matrix ?

from FOWL_attitude wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from sskbkrdg wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Bernie wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Jeff270 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from country road wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Gritz wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Steel isn't much good past 35-yds no matter what size shot is used.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Edwin Obrecht wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Only a buck a shot----Happy New Year indeed.

from kudukid wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

12/11.2 X 40 = 42.86 Where does 50 yards come from? That is a pretty big leap.

from kennyt wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

BTW- I love heavy shot for turkey.
Bag of worms open.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

SD, Good for you we will all be rooting for you!

from JohnR wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I like Heavi-shot, but like Elmer Fudd, I prefer the tungsten matrix.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Bourjaily

Question for you!

When I was 13, I shot a coyote with #6's and killed it!

So the question is this, it took me 50 rounds to kill it NO JOKE!

from Whackdaddy wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from Wild Bill wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Phil,
I would suggest, at least for an honorable mention, the
1999 introduction of XPERT steel shot by Winchester. For
China. A USA-made, commercial success could deserve a mention.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from trapper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

a-men brother and think the lord for this great gift we call hevi-shot

from Melvin2344 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from TurkeyMaster55 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

That would definately do some damage to an animal.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago