Hurteau: The Sweet Sixteen of Whitetail Cartridges

Whitetail 365

March 26, 2010

Hurteau: The Sweet Sixteen of Whitetail Cartridges

By Dave Hurteau

Last night, the NCAA college basketball Sweet Sixteen tipped off with Syracuse vs. Butler. Today, our own sweet sixteen gets started with .270 WSM vs. .260 Rem.

I am talking about the March Madness of whitetail cartridges. The Final Four of deer rounds. Bullet bracketology. (Okay, bullet-case-powder-and-primer bracketology, but you get the idea.)

We start with16 contenders for the title of Best Whitetail Round, which have been split into two divisions and seeded by SHOT Business contributing editor Christopher Cogley. We chose Mr. Cogley to help us because he is highly qualified and so I have someone to throw under the bus if necessary. His seeded selections (which you are free to take issue with, as my @$$ is covered) are:
Division I:

(1) .270 WSM — By improving on the ballistics of the original .270, this could be the best deer round in the woods today.
(2) .270 Win. — The standard bearer in deer cartridges. It is cheaper to shoot than the .270 WSM, but its ballistics aren’t quite as good.
(3) .25-06 — Gentler on the shoulder than the .270, but not quite as much energy or overall performance.
(4) .243 — It’s small. But light recoil helps you put shots exactly where they need to go.
(5) 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser — With larger bullets, it can outperform the .260, but its U.S. fan base is small.
(6) .257 Roberts — Light recoil and flat shooting, but factory loads are limited and can’t match the energy or velocity of the .25-06.
(7) .257 Weatherby — Great long range performance, but high prices make practicing with these cartridges costly.
(8) .260 Rem — It has the light kick of a .243 and more knockdown power, but its low popularity makes ammo harder to find.

Division II:
(1) .30-06 – It’s hard to argue against the 06 being the greatest hunting cartridge of all time. Deer included.
(2) .308 – Not quite as much speed or energy as the .30-06, but arguably more accurate.
(3) 7mm-08 – Flatter trajectory and more long-range energy than the .308, but with less recoil. Because it’s not as popular as the .308, however, ammo is slightly less available.
(4) .30-30 – Its ballistics aren’t the most impressive, but no one can argue with the historical results.
(5) .280 – Flatter shooting than the .06, but doesn’t pack the same punch, and can’t match the versatility.
(6) .30 Rem AR – The performance of a .30 in an AR platform. It’s not completely mainstream, yet. But watch out.
(7) 7x57 Mauser — Good ballistics make it hard to ignore, but its lack of popularity is carrying it toward extinction.
(8) 7mm Rem Mag – Generates tight groups at long distances, but might be overly aggressive for whitetails.  –Christopher Cogley

Okay folks, check out the bracket  (you can also click here to print out a larger copy if you want to fill it out). Then vote for your preferred cartridge in each matchup below to begin the first round of play for Division I. We’ll follow up with Division II in a couple of days, then move on the Elite Eight, Final Four, and National Whitetail Cartridge Championship in a couple of weeks.

Sweet Sixteen Whitetail Cartridge Tournament: Division I

Have fun!

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Greatest idea ever!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Great fun! A++++++

from Online Editors wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Sorry folks, forgot to add WSM to the first match. It's there now, but those eight people who already voted on that game should cast their votes again if they want to be counted.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

No stuffing the ballot box Chicago-style! LOL

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Hope it's better than my B-Ball bracket

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I'm picking the 30-06 as the champ

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

No! Wait! the .270

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

No, I'll pick the .243 underdog

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is way cool!

from buddyboy25 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

hey Dave, i was just wondering if you got my emails concerning the bow, and i'll go with the .308

from srlarson wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

we need a scenario....where are you hunting....open prairie....round here is Shotgun only...or Muzzleloader...but open prairie vs Big Woods...big difference in gun....by I'm taking the 30/30...gotta luv the old lever's!!

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Great idea, stir up some more reasons for this gun being better than the other gun.

from Hilltop 2 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I have a 30-06 and thinking of changeing my 243 for 25-06 I thnk it may be a better light weight all rounder?

from spiaailtli wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is almost too cool! I cannot wait to see which one wins.

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

i have a .270 and it shoots nice so im going with the .270

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Now if only we could make friendly wagers on this somehow...

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This should prove interesting... Come on 6.5 X 55!

from jbird wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Got to go w/my baby, the .270. This should be fun to watch unfold though, a helluva lot more interesting to me than college bball.

from MNhunter23 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

My .260 has to go up against the one seed

from seadog wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

30-06 might be hard to beat but I like the #2 seeds in both divisions, edge to the .308.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

.260 Rem an 8 seed? What's up with that, Cogley? No .35 Rem? No .300 Savage? Honestly! And the .270 has a cakewalk to the championship game, for crying out loud!
(Kidding, kidding. Just busting your chops, brother.)

My Final Four picks: .25-06 vs .270 and .30-06 vs .308
My Championship game: .30-06 vs .270
My Whitetail Cartridge Champ: .270

Buddyboy25,
Yup. Just sent you a reply.

srlarson,
What and take all the fun out of it? Sorry, my friend

from Bryan01 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

There's always one team with a great record that gets left out because of a lack of glamour - in this case, we're talking about the humble shotgun slug - responsible for more whitetail entries in the B&C record book than any other cartridge.

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

.260 Rem is falling back big time. If any .260 owners are suddenly feeling caliber envy and want to sell your guns please let me know.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is a suberb idea. Personally, I own about half of the calibers in the tournament so I'm eager to see what others think.

Take this one to the bank: The championship match is going to be a slug-fest between the .270 Win and the .30-06. Doesn't matter to me who wins the final; both are champs who have thrilled their fans over many years.

ps. Pun intended.

from thunderdog512 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is sweet!!! Great idea. Cant wait to see what else they ( the editors ) come up with. This is one of the coolest ideas on this site since i became a member!!!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Great idea! Nothing beats the 25-06 for great all arond Whitetail cartidge. There are more popular rounds but not better for the job rounds.

from Christopher Cogley wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

.260 Rem an 8 seed? What's up with that, Cogley?

Yeah, I was actually going to leave the .260 off, but then I heard that some editor was claiming it was the best whitetail round in history, so I figured I had better include it. I forget who it was that said that, though. Anyone remember?

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Ahh. There you are, Cogley. I was hoping to draw you out of your lair.
Now you're in trouble. Big trouble....

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is great! I'm sure it will all boil down to the a fight between the .270 and 30.06 but you never know. That's why they play the game.

from copperhead wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

great idea!!!!!! i have several 30.06's would not have it any other way for mississippi hardwoods,but if I were to get a new cal. 270wsm all the way. Couple of my hunting partners got them shoot flatter than regular 270 plenty of brush cuttin power to.

from Christopher Cogley wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

ohh, I think I've probably been in trouble for awhile, now. Bring on the bus!

from wlewisiii wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

7x57! Best all arounder out there. Though I need a .257 Roberts too.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Just goes to show that the masses don't really know what is good for them! NO WAIT! That's Pelosi, Reed, and Obama's line!

from jamesti wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

you guys are really keeping this site interesting. i thought for sure i'd see the .300 savage on the bracket somewhere.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I am voting no upsets in this bracket.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I can't believe you let 30 Rem AR into the tourney.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

i predict the .243 won't make the final four with all the rest of the competition it has.

from ADKHunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

thats fun i like this because you can get an idea of the prefect cal. ffor deer season

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

based solely on the 270 already huge whitetail fanbase etc. i predict the 270wsm is gonna go out the champ. followed closely by 3006 :P

from ARhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

30-06

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

cool bracketology

from Themasterdan wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

257 Weatherby vs 270 Winchesther. These are two of my favorite rounds, that was a close one. I will say this about my 257 Weatherby's: I have never had to shoot at an animal twice with my Weathery. From 90lb does at 40 yards to 600lb elk at 400 yards it has flattened every animal it has come in contact with. There is no flatter shooting medium game rifle out there. The only downside to the cartridge is the cost point. However if you reload you can neck down 7mm mag or 264 win to make 257 Weatherby, so cost is not really an issue. The two 257's I have are definitely my go to guns. Also anyone who has ever seen the end result of a 257 Weatherby has always said "I need one of those." Animals hit the ground like lightening has struck them. Take that for what it's worth.

.257 Weatherby Magnum
87 gr (5.6 g) SP 3,825 ft/s (1,166 m/s) 2,826 ft·lbf (3,832 J)
100 gr (6.5 g) SP 3,602 ft/s (1,098 m/s) 2,881 ft·lbf (3,906 J)

.270 Winchester Short Magnum
90 gr (5.8 g) JHP 3,700 ft/s (1,100 m/s) 2,737 ft·lbf (3,711 J)

I think the 270wsm can compete with the lighter bullets though, even if a smidgen lower in ballistics with the same bulletweight, it still wont make Any difference inside usefull range ;P besides it can shoot much heavier bullets for bigger bulkier game too :) win win win :D

from Nic Meador wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

still cant pick the 243. because of to many yuppies think they know what they're doin and buy varmint bullets.

from fng wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Come on, 6.5x55! Kudos, Beekeeper, I love that round!

from NyBigGameHunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I love my 30-06 but wouldn't mind a gun with less kick if it packs the same punch and improves accuracy. We'll see who wins.

from Vanny wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I've shot several different calibers- but my opinion and the Best all around cartridge is the 270 without a question !!!!!

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

the champ is going to be 30-06 or the 308

from 007 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Great idea, guys, thanks. This will be fun.

from platte river rat wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I like the 260Rem and25-06 for whitetails, with the 243Win on the bench. I recuited Barnes and Hornady SST for all MVP,s.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

This helps contend with cabin fever, thanks.

from jenks wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Congradulations! I think you have come up with one of the most clever and fun ways to have the debate of "best cartridge" wait i guess it would have to be favorite. This awesome idea makes it both fun to have the debate and nobody can dispute the conclusion becuase the numbers are there for everybody to see! Congrats on coming up with an innovating and entertaining way to keep the campfire debate alive!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

30/06 150 gr

from supratax wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dang, I hope something I already own wins, I don't know if I can afford a new rifle this year.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

It looks like the .270 is pulling ahead. If the .25-06 can catch up, it will be a "buzzer-beater" ! Good fun!

from Blacktail wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

A lot of great weapons in there but I'm tending to lean towards the 270 wsm. Ammo's a bit more spendy but it sure shoots nice! We're getting great groups at 416 yds and we're going to take it out to 637 soon.

from Skycop wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

My opinion for Whitetail deer: #1- 30-06, #2- 30-30 (Bushwacking), #3- 7mm Rem Mag (distance w/punch), #4- 270 WSM

from Mike Plotner wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

no .35 remington?

from Jonathan Ratcliff wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Actually, this seems like a waste of time. Since we did not specify the environment where the gun would be used, one can only vote on data and the preceived availability of ammo. I have a 30-06, 30-30, and a 7x57. If I'm in East Texas with very short distances (45 yards shots or less) I'd take the 30-30; if I'm hunting the hill country west of Austin, or the South Texas brush, the 7x57 seems right; and last, if I were to be hunting in the open plains of West Texas I'd drag along the 30-06. Personally, my favorite is a slab-sided lever action 30-30 in the deep woods.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,

Make sure you set up a loosers bracket so some really good cartridges don't get tossed out with the "bath water"!!!!!!!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Bee

Looks like all the real heavy hitters are in the Division II bracket.

WMH

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

i can't believe i have yet to own a 25-o6. don't laugh! it's no longer funny!

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

GREATEST idea since sliced bread GO!!! 30-06 all the way, shot 2 bucks in 2 years one being a 154 2/8

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

270wsm kicks like a 3006, reaches like a 257 weatherby mag and is gaining popularity and can do the job of ALL the other calibres here :D win win win :P

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

genius

from autoloader wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Once again, no love for the .35 Remington. The 200 grain .35 Remington has proven itself to be one of the greatest deer cartridges in the last hundred years. You should remove the 7x57 Mauser and put the .35 in it's place.

I guess I'll vote for the 270Win.

from huntnfishnut wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I am thinking this is going to go on my wall...

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The .35 remington is top seed in the "NIT" tournament.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

jamesti

I have yet to own a .25-06 or a .270 anything and it has not handicapped my deer and elk killing one bit ! LOL

I have 4 of the players in Division II !!

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Thermasterdam what weight bullet are you using in the .257 Wby Mag?

from Themasterdan wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dr.Ralph,
In my Accumark I'm running a 110gr Accubond at 3550, and in my Rem 700 Im using a 100 gr Barnes TSX at 3620. Both rifles are primarily set up to be Mule Deer/Antelope rifles, but I have also used them on elk and black bear with no complaints. I have lent the rifles to friends who have used them on sheep and mt. goats. Also to everyone I have a 270 weatherby that was my fathers so I have no need for a 270 wsm (I do have a 300 wsm that is a tack driver though). I just can't seem to find a niche for a 270 wsm in my battery.

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Final 4: 30-06 .270 .308 30-30
Championship: 30-06 vs .270

WINNER: 30-06

from mountaindew732 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

This is an awesome idea. I am a big fan of the 7mm-08, and I hope it goes a long way

from mightylilhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

You should do it with guns next, but great idea. 270 win all the way

from shane wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

What about .300 Savage? Yeah, I know, no one has one anymore. So .308 then. The ammo is anywhere that has ammo. It has tons of proven deer loads, the bullet variety is vast, and it's a handloader's dream. It fits in a short action rifle. It performs well in short barrels. You can shoot most other things with it, too. It doesn't kick much. It's absolutely devastating on deer. It and the .25-06 are the two cartridges that seem to kill way out of proportion to their. It's good enough for US military marksmen. If this thing doesn't have enough range and flat shooting for your deer hunting, you have a serious problem.

I would like to say .30-30 is the best, but many on here would freak out. I get the feeling if given a .30-30 carbine with iron sights, some folks wouldn't have much for success. They need their Gunwerks model Seven Million Super Long Range Series in 7mm ROM (Ridiculously Overbore [unless you get the 36" barrel option] Magnum) with Huskemaw super dialer calculator any range turret scope to hit anything. Brush? What's that? A deer you can see with the naked eye? Impossible!

from Tim-Fro wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

man i am really hoping for it to come down to the 308 and 30/06 in the division 2

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

This may be the chance for the most underated cartridge of the century, the mild recoil, super accurate, available in almost any rifle, can be had in light mountain rifles or heavy beanfield rifles, huge selectiion of bullets to reload, can be reloaded with bullets to kill almost anything ,the do almost everything plain jane 308.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

All:

I'll stick with cartridges that always performed well for my stepfather and have always performed well for me, regardless of the game animal he or I took, including elk:

In equal measure, with equal votes to all:

.257 Roberts, 7x57 Mauser, .270 Winchester.

A well-aimed handload with a good bullet at any sane range with any of these cartridges will quickly and humanely take any deer (or pig) anywhere. Same thing with the 7mm-08. Certainly the same thing with the Ackley Improved versions of the Mauser and Roberts.

While I have no issue with those who hunt deer with the Weatherbys or WSMs or Remington Magnums, for me I see no point in using such cartridges. I'm not going to take a 600-yard shot on a deer under any circumstances, nor a 500-yarder, and possibly not a 400-yard shot either, although I might if I had a good rest and wind conditions were mild or calm. As such, my picks--the .270, 7x57, and .257 Roberts, all handloaded, of course--are tied for first place in my mind, because each of them will do the job at hand as well as the other two, and no other cartridges, in my view, can do so better, at least not under my real world conditions of 400-yards or less.

TWD

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

so why not an improved 270 win?? the 270wsm should be your choice then, and not kick your bootay like the 270 weatherby :D;)
handloaded the casings needs less resizing than the 270 win u know, less neck streching etc. higher max pressure too T.W. ;)

from YooperJack wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Might actually be a dumb question, but, why is a .308 more accurate than a 30-06?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

YooperJack

Less recoil, more practice maybe? The only reasonable assumption I can come up with is that the velocity and pressure behind most .308 loads is ideal for stabilizing a 150-168 gr bullet in a 1:10 twist bore. That may not be true either. I find that my moderate .30-06 loads shoot better groups than most hot loads. I'm not a long range competitor, so that's just my guess.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Did I miss some data? When is Division II coming out?

from seadog wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I was thinking the same thing, Myles. If they drag this out long enough, it could be next basketball season before we get to the National Whitetail Cartridge Championship--I'm on the edge of my seat.

from Themasterdan wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Yes ingebrigtsen the 270 wsm sounds like a great round. Now if you can convince my soon to be wife that I need 4th rifle in .277, then I will declare you a man amongst men. Maybe I'll get one for next years BC Mt. goat hunt (She gets a huge diamond, I get a hunt. I don't know how I end up ahead because I paid for both? Sounded like good logic at the time..)

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Happy Myles and seadog,
Division II should go up today.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave Hurteau

Can't wait for the 'tip off'!

thanks

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Will three of the final four share the same parent case, i.e., .30-06, .270, and .25-06? Very interesting. Are y'all trying to keep me from ever getting any work done?

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Themasterdan tell your wife in a genuinely conserned tone that u need this to feel better with yourself. that u need it for your selfworth, and show her the weatherby vanguard syntetic that retails for bout 450 bucks in 270wsm and ask nicely withouth whining and if she loves u she will let u have it. Your a man and dont need her permission really, but u ask her out of respect for her and do so nicely withouth pleeding. do it right and u shouldnt have any problems. your wife or future so wanna make u happy, really she does. and she will not deny u this one little thing if thats what it takes to make u happy. (and yeah i know its a bit manipulative, but u really think most women arenth semi-experts on this subject already??:P )
Im planning to marry this year too and my woman wont deny me anything outside a threesome, that i could possibly ask for cos i share my problems with her withouth asking her to help me with anything. im the man, the strong one and she is the woman and like that im the strong leader in our relationship cos i dont ask much but expect to be respected in my wishes ;) if u still cant convince her, its all your fault and u r whipped even before u get hitched :P just kidding offcourse, but asking nicely cos of "respect" is gonna make her feel important in your life and a co-leader in your life.. good luck with your marriage and get that 277 :)

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,
This is fun so far and please post more of this in the future!!!

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

the only rightful winner here was the .243 in my oppinion. in several other article on field and stream alot has been argued that the .25s are the best deer cartridges so i cant figure out why they lost so bad. the .257 weatherby beats the .270 in every way. its just very obscure and has no popularity.

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

.243 for the win! since since anything better was already eliminated

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

270wsm isnt really beaten by the 257 weatherby sven (sweedish??) cos with the lighter bullets it performs on the same level with the same ammount of recoil.. :P

from WesMcCormick wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Man the .257 Weatherby got under rated

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

This is a great idea, the 257 weatherby seams to be under rated though

from ginnycrandall wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

This is awesome! It's funny what you come across when looking for egyptian papyrus paintings for sale, but I'm glad I found this. Can anyone tell me who the winner was?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

No stuffing the ballot box Chicago-style! LOL

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

No, I'll pick the .243 underdog

from buddyboy25 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This should prove interesting... Come on 6.5 X 55!

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

(Kidding, kidding. Just busting your chops, brother.)

My Final Four picks: .25-06 vs .270 and .30-06 vs .308
My Championship game: .30-06 vs .270
My Whitetail Cartridge Champ: .270

Buddyboy25,
Yup. Just sent you a reply.

srlarson,
What and take all the fun out of it? Sorry, my friend

.257 Weatherby Magnum
87 gr (5.6 g) SP 3,825 ft/s (1,166 m/s) 2,826 ft·lbf (3,832 J)
100 gr (6.5 g) SP 3,602 ft/s (1,098 m/s) 2,881 ft·lbf (3,906 J)

.270 Winchester Short Magnum
90 gr (5.8 g) JHP 3,700 ft/s (1,100 m/s) 2,737 ft·lbf (3,711 J)

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is way cool!

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

i have a .270 and it shoots nice so im going with the .270

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Now if only we could make friendly wagers on this somehow...

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

ps. Pun intended.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Ahh. There you are, Cogley. I was hoping to draw you out of your lair.
Now you're in trouble. Big trouble....

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from wlewisiii wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

7x57! Best all arounder out there. Though I need a .257 Roberts too.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I can't believe you let 30 Rem AR into the tourney.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from ADKHunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Nic Meador wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from fng wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Come on, 6.5x55! Kudos, Beekeeper, I love that round!

from Vanny wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from supratax wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

no .35 remington?

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Final 4: 30-06 .270 .308 30-30
Championship: 30-06 vs .270

WINNER: 30-06

from shane wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Happy Myles and seadog,
Division II should go up today.

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Greatest idea ever!

from Online Editors wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from srlarson wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Hilltop 2 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from spiaailtli wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is almost too cool! I cannot wait to see which one wins.

from jbird wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from MNhunter23 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

My .260 has to go up against the one seed

from seadog wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Bryan01 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from thunderdog512 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Christopher Cogley wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

.260 Rem an 8 seed? What's up with that, Cogley?

from copperhead wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Christopher Cogley wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

ohh, I think I've probably been in trouble for awhile, now. Bring on the bus!

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I am voting no upsets in this bracket.

from ARhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

30-06

from Themasterdan wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from NyBigGameHunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Great idea, guys, thanks. This will be fun.

from platte river rat wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

This helps contend with cabin fever, thanks.

from jenks wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Blacktail wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Skycop wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,

from jamesti wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

i can't believe i have yet to own a 25-o6. don't laugh! it's no longer funny!

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

genius

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Thermasterdam what weight bullet are you using in the .257 Wby Mag?

from Tim-Fro wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Did I miss some data? When is Division II coming out?

from Themasterdan wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,
This is fun so far and please post more of this in the future!!!

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

cool bracketology

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

30/06 150 gr

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Jonathan Ratcliff wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Bee

Looks like all the real heavy hitters are in the Division II bracket.

WMH

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from autoloader wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I guess I'll vote for the 270Win.

from huntnfishnut wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I am thinking this is going to go on my wall...

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The .35 remington is top seed in the "NIT" tournament.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

jamesti

I have 4 of the players in Division II !!

from Themasterdan wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dr.Ralph,

from mountaindew732 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from mightylilhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

You should do it with guns next, but great idea. 270 win all the way

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

All:

In equal measure, with equal votes to all:

.257 Roberts, 7x57 Mauser, .270 Winchester.

TWD

from YooperJack wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

YooperJack

from seadog wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave Hurteau

Can't wait for the 'tip off'!

thanks