Hurteau: Sweet Sixteen of Whitetail Cartridges, Division II

Whitetail 365

March 29, 2010

Hurteau: Sweet Sixteen of Whitetail Cartridges, Division II

By Dave Hurteau

With nearly 600 votes cast, we have our first-round Division I winners. And unlike this weekend’s basketball games, the results are all chalk. The closest match (I don’t mind pointing out) was between the 1 and 8 seeds, in which the .260 Rem (claimed by one prescient commenter to be radically under-seeded) gave the .270 WSM a mild scare, but couldn’t pull out a win (with such a blatantly unfair draw).

Moving on to the Elite Eight with the .270 WSM are the .243, .25-06, and .270 Win, which pretty much embarrassed the .257 Weatherby. Now we shift to the Division II matchups, featuring some very heavy hitters in the .30-06, .308, and .30-30—not to mention the sleeper 7mm-08. SHOT Business contributing editor Christopher Cogley has seeded the contenders as follows:

Division II:
(1) .30-06
– It’s hard to argue against the 06 being the greatest hunting cartridge of all time. Deer included.
(2) .308 – Not quite as much speed or energy as the .30-06, but arguably more accurate.
(3) 7mm-08 – Flatter trajectory and more long-range energy than the .308, but with less recoil. Because it’s not as popular as the .308, however, ammo is slightly less available.
(4) .30-30 – Its ballistics aren’t the most impressive, but no one can argue with the historical results.
(5) .280 – Flatter shooting than the .06, but doesn’t pack the same punch, and can’t match the versatility.
(6) .30 Rem AR – The performance of a .30 in an AR platform. It’s not completely mainstream, yet. But watch out.
(7) 7x57 Mauser — Good ballistics make it hard to ignore, but its lack of popularity is carrying it toward extinction.
(8) 7mm Rem Mag – Generates tight groups at long distances, but might be overly aggressive for whitetails. –Christopher Cogley

You know the drill: Vote for your preferred cartridge in each matchup below to begin the first round of play for Division II. After a couple of days I will announce the winners and we will have our Elite Eight. Later we’ll move on the Final Four and National Whitetail Cartridge Championship in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy.

from lovetohunt wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

My bracket is right so far...

from DANO wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

7mm Rem Mag got a bad seed. It should have been seeded higher than Mid Majors like .280 and 7X57, and definatly higher than the Cinderella .30 Rem AR.

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I was wondering when we would get to the next round, the anticipation was killing me.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Very unfair putting the 30-30 and 30-06 in the same division! Those 2 should be in the championship game against each other!

from seadog wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I agree with Dano--not sure how the 6 seed got past the bouncer--wasn't there anyone at the door to check ID's? LOL I'm still rooting for the 2 seed.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

My two dawgs are runnin' neck n' neck!

from jbird wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Boy the 7 mag. crowd is gonna be ticked. Not much of a chance butting heads w/ the .06. I think the 30 rem.ar vs. the 7mm-08 is a battle of 2 "never will be's" in my opinion. If AR hunting is gonna 'explode", as has been predicted, why wouldn't you just get a .308 AR, instead of some new (as in- hard to find,afford ammo) cartridge altogether? Still a fun bracket. I'm still calling the .270 vs. 30.06 for the championship.

from Jason Hart wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I think we will see a darkhorse in the championship game against the 30-06 and it will be the 270 WSM.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

This is a lot of fun. Must confess am puzzled over the huge lead of the 30 -30 over the 280. Have used both calibers most successfully over several decades they are not even in the same class, even on Eastern Whitetails. Ouch, don't throw too many rocks. Best to all.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Oh boy...I can see it now we will end up with the .270 Winchester Vs. the 30/06...

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Happy Myles- I vote the .30-.30 because it is just a more historic and "cool" cartridge in my eyes. I can't imagine anyone shooting a 94 styled rifle and not having it in .30-.30

This bracket is really just a popularity contest and since the .30-.30 is one of the most beloved cartridges I imagine it will do well based on that fact alone. That's how I voted through this whole thing. Whichever cartridge I want to own a gun in the most gets the vote.

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

It is only right that the 30-06 and the 308 square off against each other. The only problem is that they are the two finest rounds to deer hunt with and it is extremely hard to make a choice.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Spartan 88,
Those are all good reasons for the 30-30. You won't find me knocking the thurty thurty, especially in the 94. But shucks, the 280 is pretty neat. This is a lot of fun. Best to all.

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

This is too good not to continue. PLEASE do a bracket for elk and one for varmints.

from MLH wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

.35 Rem must have fallen in the prelims. .280 is too unknown. .30 Rem AR, the newbie, is bound to go down. Logically, I think the 7mm-08 is the best of Division II for whitetail - it does the job near and far without over or under gunning. But, who says picking a deer caliber has anything to do with logic.

I get giddy hoping the .30-30 goes against the .308 or .30-06. Get enough lever gun voters and there could be an upset ... followed by tears and cries of, "Foul!"

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

If the 7mm Rem. Mag. had been named the .284 Rem. Mag. would it still get a bum rap? Don't get me wrong, the 06 is a great round but the 7mm has better ballistics with evenly weighted bullets. Just my theory! Like everyone else, my predictions are the .270 v. 30-06 with the 06 winning by a respectable margin.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

7mm mag a no. 8 seed? Dude, that round totally KILLS the 30-06! Don't get me wrong, the '06 is a respectable cartridge and all...but the 7mm mag still totally owns it!

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Myles. I know you were not knocking it. Just explaining my thought process when going through voting.

from ADKHunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

my bracket is alright

from Elliott Balthazor wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

the 30-06 is probably the best round developed for long didtance and hard impact as long with overall a good round

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Wish I had seen this post earlier. In Mo the 30-30 is all that's needed but this blog forgot the .35 Rem., it's better than the 30-30 on whitetail for 100yd shots or less. Not my opinion but fact. Ha! Beyond that the 7x57, 7-08, 280, &30-06 (my beloved and only needed cartridge in the n.american continent and pretty damn good in africa especially on leopard) will perform just fine. Forget the magnums on whitetail, even on long shots.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

dikkiller,
Have you been knocked around to much by the unnecessary recoil and blast from that 7mag? The 7x57 or 7-08 will penetrate just as good with proper bullets. Don't let the 'man' factor persuaded you. Dead is dead and that is an unmitigated fact. We are talking about whitetail!!

from shane wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

.280 vs. .30-30 is a no good draw as well. Very dissimilar, both very good. .30-30 is THE deer cartridge, but .280 might be the best there is, despite its lack of popularity.

from jenks wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I am loving this bracket! As for those who think the magnums should be both better represented and win hands down, I ask do you think that deer are now wearing flak jackets in the woods? There is nothing in North America that can withdtand a 165gr 30-06. Any of the "men" who say we "need" to use a magnum and toughen up, we all know that your shoulder hurts after a few shots at the range even though you won't admidt it.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Jim,
I was comparing it to the 30-06. A 140 grn 7mm mag has a flatter trajectory than a 165 grn 30-06, with almost the same amount of recoil and ft lbs of energy. Yes, it's overkill, but between the two cartridges the 7mm mag is the clear winner.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

jenks,
Here in Mo. I shoot my .35Rem with factory loads and my 30-06 with handloaded 165gr interlocks. The 165 gr is wonderful from an '06 on whitetail.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

dukillr,
almost the same amount of recoil? The 7mag is really bad for what you get and why shoot one with such a light bullet (140gr). To use one I wouldn't consider a less bullet than a 160gr or more for elk moose or bear. And yet I'd take the '06 making a bigger hole with a heavier bullet, 180-200gr. JMO but it's a fact that speed doesn't kill.
I'm not really arguing just stating a different point of view from younger people buying into the magnum craze. Speed really doesn't kill.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Nothing here tops the 25-06 for whitetails. It has light recoil, is very flat shooting, has sufficient ft pounds, is accurate and ammo is easy to find.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Jim,
Why shoot a 7mm mag with such a light bullet? Well, for starters, if my shots are going to be under 200 yards then I'm using a 30-30 with LeverEvolutions - light recoil, and I've practiced enough with those bullets to make the shot with confidence. If it's beyond 200, that's when I step up to a longer range gun, and the 7mm mag just does the job better than the 30-06. I'd use 140 grns because there's no need to use anything heavier on whitetails. Arguably, a 165 grn 30-06 would do roughly the same amount of damage...but the 7mm shoots flatter, which is why I opt for it. The 25-06 would probably outperform both of these for whitetails, but if we're just talking about the 30-06 vs. 7mm mag, then the 7mm mag wins.

from fng wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

As my venerable pater would say, "Thurty-thurty; if you can see it, you can kill it!!!". Haveing done some unholy things to moose at extreme ranges, his first comments were "Hey, I didn't kill it with the first shot, but its still f****ing dead!!!"

from fng wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

first off: alot of peeps are saying the 7mm mag is too much gun for a whitetail. i will agree that this is true. but by the same reasoning the 30-06, .308 .270 and the .270wsm are all to powerful.(take the weight of the bullet, multiply by its velocity then divide by 1000 to get a general power coefficient) second the 30-30 vs. a .280 is apples and oranges. not even close to similar and with the 30-30 cult on the prowl of course it will win. same as the 30-06. these cartridges are the oldest here so they will be the most popular. but it doesnt mean they are the best. also its getting awfully old hearing people knocking the mags. sure you dont "need" a mag to kill something but just cause someone is using one doesnt mean he is using to show how tough they are or to make them more a man than someone shooting a .223. the only reason you would be so defensive against a magnum shooter would seem to indicate that u want to knock them cause you cant handle one.

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

im sure eveyone will hate me for this but here goes....
the 30-06 is the most overrated round ever. im not argueing that it isnt a good round but it isnt leaps and bounds ahead of everything else out there like people claim. its a pretty slow round by todays standards. and i know alot of people will come back saying "speed doesnt kill".
true. otherwise a 30-30 wouldnt kill anything. but slower cartridges drop faster and lose energy faster than a bullet the same weight going faster.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

im still claiming the 270wsm is THE best cardridge out there. if u want less meat damage etc. and can handle a bullet with less ballistics then the 160 grain bullets with round nose is up for grabs, in addition it will fire light bullets really fast and withouth more knock than the 3006. ive used both 308 and 30-06 and id attest to theire effectiveness any day. but to make tiny holes in "the meat" id rather take the 270wsm with 150 grainers barnes-x any day.. :D

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The 7mm mag is overkill? The bullet is not gutting the deer and dead is dead. As for the recoil, I don't know what you guys are shooting but mine has little more recoil than a .270. I know many of you guys have shot everything coming and going but I think some people are speculating about the reoil just because it is a magnum.

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

how come the 30-30 and the .308 get stuck on the same side of the bracket. If one was on the other side that would be your championship game...division 1 has no chance in this tournament there are three cartridges in division 2 that would murder all the division 1 cartridges combined...dont know if i need to name them...30-30,.308,30-06

from steve182 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The .280, like the .260, suffers because it isn't widely chambered or loaded commercially. Both are awesome deer rounds. I was disappointed to see the .257roberts exit so early. Bad draw.

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I think I'm going to side with huntnow about the recoil as well. While it's more than a .308 or a 30-30, it's not excessive at all. A standard 8-9 lb gun with a scope cushions the blow easily enough. Magnum doesn't necessarily mean excessive "recoil and blast"...

from uplander12 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The .257 Roberts got a bad seed. I was disappointed to see the .243 move on and ol' Bob get beat out in the first round.

from Pacific Hunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

While the 30-30 is a historic deer round and has done the trick on probably more deer than any other round other than maybe the 06. Before you boot the .280 think of every reasonable whitetail situation that could be encountered in hunting. There are no instances that I can think of that a .280 couldn't handle, the 30-30 is a different story. Just because you don't ever shoot over 80 yards doesn't make the gun you choose to do it with better than a .280

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

How about this. The .30-06 and 30-30 are the most UNDERrated rounds today? They are so popular and do their job so well people are constantly trying to knock each round. I don't give a hoot if its trajectory looks like a rainbow. Dead is dead and both are time tested and still stand strong. They are the most underrated cartridges today.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Also how the heck is the 30-30 a 4 seed? I guess it is just the MSU of the bunch.....

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

The 06 is the most underrated? On this site? Please. Seems like the answer to every question asked, "06". I know it's a great round but it is certainly not underrated on this site.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

huntnow-it is the most loved cartridge but it is also the most hated on here. Just look at everyone trying to knock it.

from EMN wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I have a savage model 10 chambered in .270wsm i would not trade that gun/cartridge for anything. the .270wsm is capable of pinpoint accuracy and for that reason has my vote.

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Spartan, what can I say? We love the underdog but we all know the 06 will win. I am guilty of being one of those speed guys that has been criticized as of late. That is why I prefer the 7mm but I will stand by what I mentioned earlier about the recoil, it is very manageable.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

This is fun. I missed one in the first round, thinking that the .260 Rem would beat the .270 WSM.

Ultimately I think it's going to come down to .270 Win vs. .30-06. One interesting match-up, however, will be when the .308 faces off against the .30-30.

from MLH wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

There's not a bad round in the bunch. Not a one I wouldn't enjoy hunting with.

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

i think that 30-06 and the 30-30 should be paired and the 308 and the 7mm-08

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

the 270wsm and the 270 win are going to kill the 243 and the 25-06

from PPD wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

17 years and over 25 deer later my 7mm-08 has never let me down. I have never had to shoot a deer more than once and have never had one go more than 40 yards after the shot, most just fall over. I shoot 140 grain Nosler partitions and have never had a hard time finding ammo.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,

You gotta build that looses bracket, we need a few flies in the ointment!

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Sorry, ...thats "loosers bracket" @#$% sticky key board...

from wlewisiii wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

7x57 remains my favorite. My next build will be a .257 Roberts though & .308 is a distant third.

30/06? What's that, some dinosaur? ;)

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Also, I refuse to vote for the 7mm because it uses mm give me inches! And any cartridge with a x in it belongs in an assault rifle not a deer gun. How is that for stirring the pot?

from bullseyedb wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Hard to beat the 30-06! 180 grain power points have been the main staple in my whitetail harvests since beginning this great sport in 2006.

from hunt and fish wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

30-30 and 30-06 should be on different sides of bracket and in the finals

from Mactrager wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

I Dig this, However, are we talking Handloads or Factory ammo. The 6.5 Swede if using Handloads it is by far on of the best calibers around. I like the .308 since I Handload and have taken a lot of deer with the .308, and since I handload, I can the same performance as a 30-06, I also shot a 25-06 in a Ruger #1, that I have had some great success with.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

While I know this is a personal preference and popularity contest, it does show that a significant number of folks prefer some really superior cartridges that aren't leading their brackets (excluding the .30 AR - why is that chump in the race?).

from 007 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Has anybody checked with Vegas to see what the spread is on this bracket? haha

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

been using the same WINCHESTER 94/ 30-30 FOR ABOUT 48 YEARS NOW, Its almost a part of me. GOT TO LOVE IT.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

where is the 35rem? it may be the best brush cartridge ever created!

from JermZ260 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

I can't belive F&S chose the .30ar over the awsome 6.8SPC

from DANO wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from fng wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Jim,

from Jason Hart wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WeatherbySven87 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

im sure eveyone will hate me for this but here goes....

from MLH wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

There's not a bad round in the bunch. Not a one I wouldn't enjoy hunting with.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from lovetohunt wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

My bracket is right so far...

from Elliott Balthazor wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from uplander12 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Jim,

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from ADKHunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

my bracket is alright

from EMN wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

My two dawgs are runnin' neck n' neck!

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from huntnow wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from WhitetailHunter706 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Pacific Hunter wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from wlewisiii wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

30/06? What's that, some dinosaur? ;)

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

i think that 30-06 and the 30-30 should be paired and the 308 and the 7mm-08

from david.clark45 wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

the 270wsm and the 270 win are going to kill the 243 and the 25-06

from jenks wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from hunt and fish wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

30-30 and 30-06 should be on different sides of bracket and in the finals

from MLH wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,

You gotta build that looses bracket, we need a few flies in the ointment!

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

Sorry, ...thats "loosers bracket" @#$% sticky key board...

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from fng wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from PPD wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from Mactrager wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from bullseyedb wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

where is the 35rem? it may be the best brush cartridge ever created!

from JermZ260 wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago