Would You Download a Fishing App?

FlyTalk

February 25, 2010

Would You Download a Fishing App?

By Tim Romano

Imagine you're driving to your favorite river for a day of float fishing. It's an hour and a half drive from your home. It's spring and the weather and water flows (CFS) are temperamental. The problem is you forgot to check the conditions before you left. In the past you would have kept driving and crossed your fingers.

Now, there's an App for that. All you have to do is pull out your Iphone, and viola realtime data at your fingertips. At last count there were close to 360 fishing applications over at the Apple "App" store. Granted, most of these are simply games, but many others compile real time data helping you decide where to fish, what to fish for and the best way to do it. There's information from tidal buoy's, gaging stations, and weather stations. Forgot how to tie a surgeons loop? There's an app for that. Curious about matching a hatch on a specific river? There's an app for that.

The point is, there's a wealth of data for fishing situations one button push away. Never before have you had the ability on the water to have so much powerful info in your pocket.

I'm curious, are you using smartphone apps for fishing? If so what do you like or dislike?  What kind of features are helpful or just superfluous?

from jay wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

If I had a smartphone I probably would use it if it put me into more fish. If a guy could plug in the lake/reservoir/river he was fishing, temperature, species, etc. and provide hot spots where historically these fish may be and at what depth I'd be interested.

I'm old enough to remember when "fish finders" where new to the industry. I remember the fierce debate that ensued between anglers. Some thought it was the best invention since sliced bread while folks on the other side of the fence had utter disdain for those electronics. Now, you cannot hardly find a boat without a fish finder.

from Gregesque wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Absolutely, I do a random search for a fishing app at least once every other week but I get nothing good really. I'm also on an android phone so if you are thinking of making one, make one for android. :D

from ckRich wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I've already got a fishing game on my phone, to help pass the time. I've been looking for an app to check local water conditions for a while, but haven't been able to find one that will work for my area.

from hi_tail wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Come on, what's next a sonar fish-finder app? Keep your technology....

from hudtxsportsman wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I started a message on the board section about F&S coming out with their own smartphone applications. I typically don't buy apps but I know I'd purchase any app that F&S came out with from fishing, hunting, survival, pics, recipes etc. Possibly even a line of apps for each topic? I do wish they had something that moved a little faster than trying to access the website from my Iphone when I don't have access to a computer.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I find the more I rely on technology the more it lets me down.

from hengst wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

There's an app for that??..Now I have a good reason to get an Iphone. But then I am notorious for dropping phones in the water or being clumsy and away I go down the Arkansas with a wet phone afterwards. Had one phone 1 day old and whoosh thru the ice with me. Maybe a waterproof Iphone??

from wgalliso wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I have an Iphone and do use apps for fishing purposes. Weather channel app give weather anywhere, and live radar, I have a few river flows bookmarked on the USGS website, I have a tide app that tells the tides anywhere in the US, and sunset and sunrise (shooting hours). And I a TOPO map that is probably my favorite, I can download any topomap grid from US and Canada for free to my phone and the GPS on my phone will show me where I am on the map. All these things are things that can be checked before I leave the house but its nice to have it at your finger tips. And the TOPO maps app has saved me some time and dough.

from wgalliso wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

And otterbox makes a waterproof box for the phone, although its kinda expensive.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

With the up-to the minute weather forecast on the APP's, they would be a great tool for fishing tournaments knowing that a front is coming through.

Anything that gives the angler the edge, works in my tackle box!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Years ago, if you told me you used a GPS to get around; I’d probably would have called a Girly Man! Since then, I became wiser and my Father was giving hell to show him on the map where I would be at, that’s a Father who cares! Since then I’ve purchased two types of units I carry now regardless where I go and if not there in the truck. The first one is the Lowrance iFINDER® Hunt™ C Handheld GPS and the second is the “SPOT” “Emergency Positioning Locator Beacon” known to me years ago as “EPRB” and I’m sure they have changed the name to a much more fancier name. For years afield, I relied on my TOPO Maps and compass and yes it’s always in my pack a GI issue Model. But when I started using my Lowrance iFINDER® Hunt™ C Handheld GPS with the downloaded maps, I didn’t relies all the information I had at my figure tips I didn’t have another way. Places I’ve been all my life and been so close or passed right through a historical place, school house or cemetery which been there since Adam and Eve. As for my “SPOT”, don’t need to tell the Wife or anyone except I’m going out and be back at O’Dark Thirty! Jumps online and tracks my every movement and where I’ve been and if I’m headed home. If I need emergency help, press the HELP or 911 buttons and the Calvary is on its way!

So what’s my bottom line?

Ya ‘sure, all this WIZZ’BANG electronically gadgetry takes a lot of guess work out of getting there and back in one piece and what your best choices are. But the real truth to the BOTTOM LINE, you still must have the skill to make it all happen!

That Hell Bender can be sitting behind that rock giving you the fin! and when you cast? you got one shot! But are you sure your using the right lure for the conditions at hand???

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

i'phone, don't have one yet, don't think I need one. Recon I'm still and Old Fart!

YA" I herd that WAM, BAG OF OLD FARTS! B)!!

73's YALL!

from jbird wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

My daughters got an ipod touch, which is basically an iphone w/o the phone, and she has a fishing app that she plays sometimes. If one comes out w/real time fishing conditions, you can bet I'll check it out before I head out. Why not?

from Damon619 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I like to try and cut down on the technology i use in my hunting and fishing.

from seadog wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I've got mixed feelings--I love the old school low tech stuff--I started scuba diving before most of today's "absolutly necessary" safety equipment was even invented. But sometimes the technology comes in handy. One night we took shelter in the truck to wait out a nasty storm that interrupted our gator hunt. One of the young guys picked up the satellite signal on his fancy high tech whatchamajigger thingy & showed me the line of thunderstorms behind the one we were enjoying at the time. We called it a night & went home to a beer & a warm bed instead of sitting in the truck all night like idiots.

from MLH wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Late last season a friend changed plans mid-stream (a pun!) and called me on his way to a different river - asked me to check the conditions on-line. He now has an iPhone He might not call me for conditions anymore, though he probably will, to bug me for being stuck in the office. There is probably an app for that, too.

No matter how much info you have before getting to the river, especially with flyfishing, it's still fishing. Conditions change quickly - rain and lightning swing in, clouds clear up, hatches and runs start and stop, trout key in on another bug. You have to be there to know for sure. There's just no guarantee.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I only have the ipod touch so I can only get online via wifi. However, if I had 3G I would use many apps outside of school buildings (if there was service). Most places I have gone hunting you are not going to get cell phone service. Fishing well depends where you are. Anyone who does use a smart phone while fishing should get a waterproof case. I have one for my ipod it is an otterbox. It is bulky but I can still use the touch screen with it.

from REP wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I've looked for a fishing app on both my BlackBerry as well as my wife's iPod Touch. Nothing found...I sure would use one...

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

seadog

Speaking of scuba diving and technology. A fella went on vacation down in the Bahamas and his brand new high tech dive computer went TANGO UNIFORM! He filed a law suet against the company saying it ruined his vacation and wanted restitution and of course he lost hands down. Why? As a certified diver, he should have been able to use a capillary gauge and figure out his dives and bottom time using a certified dive chart that is readily available in any dive shop world wide!

My point?

Technology vs skill cuts both ways!

from capino wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I use River Guide. It's made for kayakers, and reports flows. I also have the Orvis fishing report site bookmarked on my home screen.

from cesar wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

For the iphone

"The Hatch" (hatch charts), "Fishing knots", and "fish head" (weather, river levels, tide info)

from seadog wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Clay, I agree. I still keep a dive table in my dive bag just in case. You shouldn't have to stay in the boat just because your computer malfunctions.

from TeakPhillips wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I have an iPhone and use FishHead, which gives me real-time weather, water flow, water level sunrise/sunset/moonphase for locations I pre-determined (USGS level monitoring stations). It can also do tide information for saltwater fishermen.

I also use Bento, a database app that synchronizes with Bento on Macintosh. I created a basic fishing journal where I record weather and water data and the basics of what I caught and on what. The information can be recorded on the Bento app on my iPhone and then sync it on my home computer.

The idea, of course, is that I can track fishing results by time of day, weather, moon phase, fly, water conditions, etc. The reality is that I end up fishing and forgetting to record the stuff most of the time.

FisheHead is still a good app for having a central report of the stuff fishermen care about (except for what they're eating). It's a litle slow to load, though, because it loads info for every pre-saved location every time you launch it. 5 or 6 locations is OK, more than 10 and it's gets pretty slow.

from shenvalley wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

It's no surprise that technology is going to try and improve everything. I've seen a few fish apps for my iPhone, none really worth anything. I find the best information in books, REAL books and well, actually being on the water.

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

no thank you for the i phone or the apps because of i would like to know the data on a interpretive level

from RedSnake wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

We've launched an new iPhone app called iSolunar Hunting & Fishing Times that provides users with solunar tables for the best fishing and hunting times. It alos provides realtime worldwide weather data. More information can be found at http://i-solunar.com

from broadheadkillah wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

If you want to see a GREAT Fishing Lure app for the iphone that showcases a bunch of good lure brands, check out "Fishing Lures" on the app store. You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Transeyemedia

from RedSnake wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Check out iSolunar Hunting & Fishing Times -- it provides solunar tables for the best fishing times based on your location.

from sharkhunter wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

FishNotes by Jimmy Houston is pretty kewl. I can save all my fishing information and create instant fishing reports for my friends while on the water. It shows me the best fishing times, moon phases and it even shows me where other people have caught fish. Very awesome IMO.

from fisher10 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

my mom has a fishing game on her droid called fishing to go its the funnest fishing game in the world

from Andysknots wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

As an avid fly fisher I have produced a very helpful knot tying wallet sized booklet showing all the knots you will need from the reel to the hook.

These have been recreated as an iPhone app.
I have had many very positive reactions from the users..

Andy

www.anglingknots.com

from jhenry wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I've used a couple of different apps. and FishNotes is the most complete app I have found. It's a bit pricey but well worth the money. Support is quick and improvements come often. http://www.fishnotes.com

from disaster wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

i fish all the time without technology and catch a lot of fish so i dont think that i would use it

from azflyman wrote 3 years 6 days ago

For Android
I have downloaded the Orvis app. As a novice I find it very useful in reminding me how to tie knots, how to match a hatch, what fly to use under various conditions when there is no current hatch (AZ is notable for that) multiple podcasts on a variety of subjects can be loaded. Extensive library on every fly you can imagine and the uses, and hatch it matches. The cost was $15 and you get a $10 Orvis gift certificate.

from Jon Walmsley wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Theres a cool fishing app coming out on both Andriod & iPhone.

Its called Boxfish. You can create a profile, make friends, share tips, show off catches, find current hot swims, rate and check into ponds via Googlemaps API, see whos visited, what fish have been caught on what baits. Chat to friends and anglers throughout the country. Theres even virtual trophys to be won!
theres a demo on the website

from nathanjb wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I don't use any app for fishing except for maybe a GPS app but my favorite game on my ipod touch is Field and Stream Fishing. It's awesome, I only wish it would come out on Android!

from hooked82 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I own an Android phone and am constantly searching for a great fishing app. There's a couple out there already, but none that were that great and easy to use.

I just came across a new app called My Fishing Companion, and it looks like it's going to be perfect. Will have to try it out on the water, but it looks to have great potential.

from rqsulfates wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from yhwl2009 wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Red Corner Stage Properties Co., Ltd is a export corporation, specializing in the manufacture of magic props.

The predecessor of Red Corner Stage Properties Co., Ltd was Guangzhou Baizhit Paper Product Factory, which had rich experience in researching, developing, producing and selling for paper products, focused on quality and the management in after-sales service. The specialty paper of our company is a great hit in both domestic and foreign market.

from bbcall007 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

christmas coming! merry christmas!

from monoseo1 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

[url=http://www.shenyinrb.com/EN/product.shtml]air source heat pump[/url] [URL="www.shenyinrb.com/EN/product.shtml"]air source heat pump[/URL]

air source heat pump

from monoseo1 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

air source heat pump

from diandian wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

i like the post very much and learn a lot from your articles

from jishu5 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

Ever since the original homesteaders moved across this country for free land after the civil war, The barbed wire fence was very cheap and it became more and more popular. Support wire mesh fence posts could be placed in the ground every 10 to 20 feet and then the wire attached to the wire mesh fence posts.

from baiyangwz wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago
from baiyangwz wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

bathtub

from Scitex wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

I live in Missouri and do quite a bit of trout fishing. I recently found an app called Show Me Trout. It provides good information and gps info on spots to fish. It also has maps and weather which is nice.

from Bellamy White wrote 2 years 11 weeks ago

It's awesome!

from Ellen wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago
from Henderson123 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

It's awesome!

from Jim Speaker wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I was so interested in such applications that I wrote one that rolled all the features a serious fisherman wants into one...

fishing.smarttripmap.com

Google Map, GeoLocation, Weather, River Flows, Tide Predictions and Moon Phase.

Register free with no personal information and it saves waypoints, allows you to create notes on waypoints, set up trips, journal about the trips, and share journal entries on Facebook with a single click.

Hope y'all like it. Tight lines.

from WaterM wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

IPhone make job easier? But it may be lose fun fishing should be.

from hermesbirkin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

good work

from hermesbirkin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

hermeshandbagsdiscount.com

from deng wrote 2 years 4 days ago

Thank you for sharing good articles. It is very interesting. Where can I find more related information about it?

from deng wrote 2 years 4 days ago

www.esaletop1.com

from lipumaoyi1234 wrote 2 years 3 days ago

dfyfgjhgfhjfgjfggjh

from Rella wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Hi! This is a good article.
Girlsindress.com provide the most popular prom dress,cocktail dress,homecoming dress and graduation dresses.All are at cheap price and in high quality!

from 3dgames wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

www.3dgames77.com

from Taobao agent wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I had downloaded it and deleted it because I am really don't good at playing games.

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Theres a cool fishing app coming out on both Andriod & iPhone.

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

www.vogue-tec.com

from sky225 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

je suis fans des

from xd617550 wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Buy Cost strapless beaded evening gown by la femme Effective strapless homecoming dress by night moves 6487 Rave Clothing From the Online Market

The economy of our great country might be on the path lace prom dresses of recovery; however, financial normalcy is still a distant dream for the average Joe. We may blame it on the billions of dollars drained by our able government on corporate cs-md-61041rbailouts or the phoney paper money being used for international trading, fact remains the same that the cost of everything we need is going higher at a remarkably rapid rate. In contrast, if we talk about the online marketplace, the scenario is entirely different. The incredibly low costs of maintaining online retail stores allow the owners to offer their products at much lower prices than their rates in the physical market and the same can be said about rave outfits. Hence, it is safe to say that the web space an ideal platform to find discount deals on rave clothes. In addition to letting offering premium quality rave clothing at sherri hill cocktail dresses unbelievably low rates; the online market promises to give you an exhaustive array of clothes and accessories to choose from.

from maggie092 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Football is a very good sport, but motion of protection is necessary. Professional football clothes can provide you with sports very good protection.movement to bring you joy.

from kingofbirds wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

www.szvap.com
Hi! This is a good article.

from cheap soccer jerseys wrote 10 weeks 1 day ago

I would like to fishing alone

from cheap soccer jerseys wrote 10 weeks 1 day ago

I would like to fishing alone

from hi_tail wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Come on, what's next a sonar fish-finder app? Keep your technology....

from jay wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from wgalliso wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

Anything that gives the angler the edge, works in my tackle box!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

So what’s my bottom line?

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

seadog

My point?

Technology vs skill cuts both ways!

from deng wrote 2 years 4 days ago

from Gregesque wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from hudtxsportsman wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I find the more I rely on technology the more it lets me down.

from wgalliso wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

YA" I herd that WAM, BAG OF OLD FARTS! B)!!

73's YALL!

from jbird wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from Damon619 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I like to try and cut down on the technology i use in my hunting and fishing.

from seadog wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from REP wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from RedSnake wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from RedSnake wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from disaster wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

from bbcall007 wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

christmas coming! merry christmas!

from diandian wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

i like the post very much and learn a lot from your articles

from jishu5 wrote 2 years 17 weeks ago

from WaterM wrote 2 years 6 weeks ago

IPhone make job easier? But it may be lose fun fishing should be.

from Rella wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Hi! This is a good article.

from maggie092 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from capino wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from cesar wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

For the iphone

from seadog wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from TeakPhillips wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

from shenvalley wrote 4 years 4 weeks ago

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 2 weeks ago

from broadheadkillah wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from sharkhunter wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from fisher10 wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

from Andysknots wrote 3 years 25 weeks ago

These have been recreated as an iPhone app.
I have had many very positive reactions from the users..

Andy

www.anglingknots.com

from jhenry wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from azflyman wrote 3 years 6 days ago

For Android

from Jon Walmsley wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Theres a cool fishing app coming out on both Andriod & iPhone.

theres a demo on the website

It's awesome!

from Ellen wrote 2 years 10 weeks ago
from Henderson123 wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

It's awesome!

from Jim Speaker wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

fishing.smarttripmap.com

Google Map, GeoLocation, Weather, River Flows, Tide Predictions and Moon Phase.

Hope y'all like it. Tight lines.

from hermesbirkin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

good work

from hermesbirkin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

hermeshandbagsdiscount.com

from deng wrote 2 years 4 days ago

www.esaletop1.com

from lipumaoyi1234 wrote 2 years 3 days ago

dfyfgjhgfhjfgjfggjh

from 3dgames wrote 1 year 45 weeks ago

www.3dgames77.com

from Taobao agent wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Theres a cool fishing app coming out on both Andriod & iPhone.

from kingofbirds wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

www.vogue-tec.com

from sky225 wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

je suis fans des

from xd617550 wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from kingofbirds wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

www.szvap.com
Hi! This is a good article.

from cheap soccer jerseys wrote 10 weeks 1 day ago