Cermele: Sushi Push Pops...Anyone?

The Lateral Line

May 26, 2010

Cermele: Sushi Push Pops...Anyone?

By Joe Cermele

I don't know about you, but when I'm rushing out the door in the morning headed for the boat, I've always been very upset that there is no convenient way to bring along a spicy tuna roll. Not really, but Lucas Furst and Evan Kaye are trying to convince America that sushi has a place in the grab-and-go category right there with beef jerky, sunflower seeds, and granola bars.  I, however, am not so sure about this. Here's the story from AOLNews:

Furst and Kaye have developed Sushi Poppers...tubes of sushi rolls pre-dabbed with wasabi. I know, I know, what about the soy sauce? Don't fret, there is a stick of it attached to each tube. Simply push the bottom of the tube to pop the next hunk of sushi forward.

Given that I am a sushi snob, always seeking the restaurants that stock the freshest of the fresh, I'm not so sure I can get behind Sushi Poppers. You store them in the freezer, thaw, and consume. But maybe you can see some Sushi Poppers in your cooler right next to the beer and bait. What do you think? Are you digging the idea of salmon rolls in a tube? - JC

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Sushi is near the top of the list of things which you make and eat the same day. Have you ever considered frying an egg and saving it for tomorrow? I hope not. Each roll should come soy and a roll of toilet paper.

On the flip side... Where was this idea when we were fighting the Japs in WWII?

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

They need to do that with fishbait, no mess powerbait applicator with option gulp liquid attached to the side of the tube.....

from TJ wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I'd be hesitant to try them.

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

this just seems soo wrong in soo many ways. I like sashimi, but this? No, just No.

from seadog wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Clever idea, but I think I'll pass. I prefer sashimi or ceviche anyway. So a little soy sauce or a lime in my pocket and a clean knife is all I need--today's fresh catch may never make it back to the dock.

from MLH wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Always handy if you run out of bait.

We have a few sushi bars that sell fresh sushi to go in small plastic trays. I prefer eating mine with chopsticks - unnerves the person in the next car. Can't imagine eating frozen and unfrozen sushi rolls (doesn't that mean the tuna is frozen twice?)

from Bob81 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Ick. I can only imagine what kind of condition that thing would be in when thawed: mushy nori, mushy rice and mushy vegetables...

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Next time you post info on a food item, try it first, that is like writing about a safari and never been on one-like this-Walmart sushi-if you like California rolls there c.rolls are almost as good as anyone's else, if you enjoy sashimi, or any sushi that has a raw fillet in it then don't get it at walmart in the interior states. On second thought it could double as logger head snapper turtle bait, if your into that.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

NO WAY in HE double hockysticks! RAW fish that has had a good opportunity to spoil? Not ME!

from countitandone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

JC, Dude...I would never belittle anothers' preference, especially when it comes to groceries...but you set yourself up for this one. If you look up Sushi in my dictionary, the definition is raw fish. I fish the inland salt water of Puget Sound, it's river inlets and the Chartered Deep Waters off the coast of Washington State. I use raw fish, in other words...BAIT. 'NUF SAID.

from KyleKortright wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

No thanks!

from squirrelgirl wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I will try everything at least once (twice if I've been drinking and can't remember I already did) but this is odd. I like the powerbait idea though. THIS REMINDS ME WAAAAY TOO MUCH OF A TAMPON nothanks.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

For chum perhaps... Nein danka.

from jbird wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

YUCK! 'nuf said.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Squirelgirl I thought that but did not DARE say so, GOOD FOR YOU!!!! ;)

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Squirrelgirl...OMG!

from Creek Chub wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I'm 23 and have little regard for what goes in my body. I could easily see myself eating many of these. Throw a couple frozen sticks on the dashboard while stream fishing for smallies. Come back a few ours later and have lunch. I need to drop a few pounds anyway, maybe food poisoning has it's advantages.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

we have all heard the stories of bad sushi and food poisoning its not a guarantee but this really just begs to live up to this stereotype of sushi getting you sick. I bet if it stuck together it would catch cat fish like crazy. lol so many things that can be made quick and on the go sushi is not one of them.

from scott powers wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

i would never eat it unless it is fresh and if not it gos bad! if i go camping, fishing, hunting, ect... i would not wount to take sushi. i would want to take stake, chiken, wild game, hardy foods. none of this crap that people how dont have any food to eat eat. i do eat sushi sometimes but never when im at home. i would only eat it if it is from a restront.

from seadog wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Squirellgirl's comment cracked me up, but i'm not going to take that comment to the next level! LOL Maybe some other time--adults only after a few adult beverages for lubrication. My humorous contemplations would be inappropriate in this context.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Koldkut,you have a great idea there!!As for sushi pops how long would they keep rolling around the floor boards of my truck?Ill stick with jerky thanks.

from Sue Melus wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

In Michael Pollan's latest book he makes a really great point, "If your Grandma wouldn't recognize it as food, then it probably isn't good for you or the planet." In this case, I think our planet is the one taking the hit.

Don't get me wrong, I love sushi, but seems like pretty energy intensive food considering the state of our world's oceans.

from Izod wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

For those of you who won't eat sushi or sashimi in the "interior states" because you think it can only be "fresh" in a sea port....I have news for you. I live in Tokyo and can tell you that the most expensive sushi in the world is FROZEN. Yes, frozen. It really doesn't matter where you are so long as the refrigeration doesn't quit along the way.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

if you keep it frozen and eat it the same day you thaw it, it might be pretty good.

from kyka1865 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I absoloutley love sushi but am not sure I could do this. JUst sounds to "iffy". I agree some of the other good sushi is all about being super fresh, this seems to ruin that concept.

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

koldkut hit it head on, that power bait is such a mess but with the ease of squeezing a tube it'd be no problem to apply to any lures. And one more good use would be catfish bait, it's already cut bait with a nasty stink and comes in a tube that all you need to do is press the bottom and it dispenses without leaving the stink on your hands.

from seadog wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from squirrelgirl wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from scott powers wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

On the flip side... Where was this idea when we were fighting the Japs in WWII?

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from TJ wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I'd be hesitant to try them.

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Always handy if you run out of bait.

from Bob81 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from KyleKortright wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

No thanks!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

For chum perhaps... Nein danka.

from jbird wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

YUCK! 'nuf said.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Squirelgirl I thought that but did not DARE say so, GOOD FOR YOU!!!! ;)

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago