Cermele: Sufix Takes Braid to the Next Level

The Lateral Line

June 30, 2010

Cermele: Sufix Takes Braid to the Next Level

By Joe Cermele

Perhaps you caught yesterday's guest post by F&S Editorial Assistant Ashley Day. In it, she describes her first-ever fish fight with a couple giant bluefish on my boat. What she did not know at the time was that she was also testing the latest in braided line technology. People say a lot of negative things about bluefish, but when it comes to gauging just how tough tackle really is, I find monster blues to be ideal test subjects. They have teeth and they pull hard. Last Friday, I pitted a big school of 15-pounders against Sufix's new 832 Advanced Superline in 20-pound-test.

832 is formed with an 8-fiber weave. According to my buddy Dave James at Sufix, the weaving process is so technical, it takes more than a minute to spin one foot of the stuff. That's over 8 hours to make a 150-yard spool. But the real advance is that 832 incorporates Gore fibers. You know that Gore-Tex jacket you have that never absorbs water? The one the raindrops bead on and roll off? Yeah, that's the same Gore in this line, which helps reduce water-logging and keeps the braid slick and dry.

The Gore fiber, however, is more for added strength and abrasion resistance, and during our bluefish battles, this line got rubbed. Blues ran under the boat and rubbed the hull. Around the engine and rubbed the skeg. One even wrapped my prop. The fish fought free, but the line never broke. Now, does this all mean 832 is unbreakable? Of course not, but I was damn impressed with the beating it took. Anyone who's ever been in a bluefish blitz knows those buggers are hell on your gear. This line also casts beautifully, and unlike some other braids, Dave tells me it loosens up and gets better with age. The fine wine of braided lines.

So what about the price? It's only going to cost a couple bucks more than average braid, with 150-yard spools running $20 to $22, and 300-yard spools somewhere in the $36 to $40 range. Right now, Sufix plans to release everything from 10- to 80-pound test. Look for 832 on shelves near you in mid-December.

And just remember...you saw it here first. - JC

from countitandone wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

I'm not complaining about the price point, not at all. How can Suffix produce a foot long piece of product that takes a New York minute to weave and sell it for that MSRP?

Mid-December? Sounds like a stocking stuffer to me...

from senkoman12 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

i will have to give that stuff a try, the price isnt abd i thought it would be outrageous

from roadhunter wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

I have been one of the field testers for Sufix 832. I will guarentee that you will be impressed. It is 30-40stronger, casts farther, is more abrasion resistent and quieter than any braid i have ever used. Supposed to be in stores by October.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

So, it's "by October" now?

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

cool! But I think I'm going to try fireline when I re-string my rods this year. Or mabee one of the other brands tested in one of the recent F&S articles (I think it was the may Issue?)

from rjw wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Without question, hands down, SUFIX is the best braid I have ever used, and I have tried them all. It will be well worth the cost for a spool.

from curt88 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

As a very dedicated user of Suffix lines (i have yet to a find better line) i will say i am intrigued by this, however a couple of side notes regarding the use of Gore fibers, first after looking at the Gore website (Suffix does not yet have any data available for 832) i am pretty sure the fiber used in this line is some form of their Omnibend fiber, which is designed for use in high performance ropes and similar applications (fishing line would apply here), not the material used in Gore-Tex (a textile fiber). Also seeing as Gore specializes in and Omnibend fiber is PTFE (same basic polymer used in Teflon) fiber and the fact that all braids i know of are UHMWPE fiber (a high performance polymer also used in body armor) as well as the fact that UHMWPE is significantly stronger than any PTFE i know of i am a little skeptical of the improved strength claim, this doesnt mean that the Gore fiber addition doesnt improve abrasion resistance or gives an extra hint of stretch and flexibility that improves castability and such, more than likely it would help in these aspects, i just dont see the strength improvement, with this being said i am very curious to see how 832 compares to the current performance braid (which is made entirely of UHMWPE)

from CPT BRAD wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Wish I'd read this 2 days ago I just went and spooled up on trilene transoptic and fireline. I have tried the spider wire and liked it I have yet to try the sufix (Ignorant) hadn't heard anything about it. I will be due for another spooling before fall I'll check it out then!!

from jbird wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Sounds like tough stuff.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

I will try it as i seem to be testing lines myself lately each pole seems to like a different kind of line. i will have to test this judging by the time it is released next spring i will have a spool.

from vtbasser wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

I am sticking with PowerPro until I have any reason to replace it. Thus far its been great to me. That said, the new 8 or more strand lines (Suffix is not the first), are supposed to be pretty great.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

i've always like suffix lines so i'll give it a try. it better be good for that price.

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

to all those whose attention spans are that of a sparrow: you better quit smoking that stuff. it obviously kills brain cells by the billions.

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

you can count on me to get a spool of this during my upcoming trip to cabelas, if only i had that new baitcaster I wanst to go with it.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Is it like superline is the diameter much smaller than mono?

from Kinzuakid13 wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love sufix, and this look's very impressive, and I need to refill my line by november so this looks's good.

from roadhunter wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from Kinzuakid13 wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Mid-December? Sounds like a stocking stuffer to me...

from senkoman12 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

So, it's "by October" now?

from rjw wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from curt88 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from CPT BRAD wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Sounds like tough stuff.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from vtbasser wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Is it like superline is the diameter much smaller than mono?