Cermele: I Don't Get Paddle-Board Fishing

The Lateral Line

August 12, 2010

Cermele: I Don't Get Paddle-Board Fishing

By Joe Cermele

Below is a video of one Mr. Carl Schroderer hooking and fighting a striped marlin from a stand-up paddle board off Baja. Apparently, this is the first documented marlin catch from such a vessel. It seems fishing from stand-up paddle boards is the new craze slowly creeping in, particularly in the inshore saltwater scene. I have to be honest, I just don't get the appeal.

So you've caught a marlin from a surf board designed for standing. OK, that's cool, but to me it's purely novel. I'm not quite sure what it is you can do standing up on a paddle board (except get tired of standing and balancing all day) that you can't do in a kayak. Yet sites devoted to tricking out your board for fishing are popping up left and right.

I don't do that much 'yak fishing, but I enjoy it very much when I get the chance. It's stealthy and gets me places no one else can go. However, I enjoy it most when I have one rod and a small box of lures. Nothing else. Digging through storage compartments, reaching around for one of five rods, rigging fishfinders, dragging an anchor...it all takes something away from the quiet simplicity of gliding across a back-bay flat or down a country river. So transferring all that gear to a giant surf board I can't even sit on comfortably? Sorry, I don't get it.

Maybe you do. Am I missing something with paddle boards? Is there really an advantage or is this the next fad? - JC

from Bookie12 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I think thats pretty badass. To see the dude getting pulled along with the marlin right below his board..thats pretty cool. Your right though it is a bit novel and kinda pointless, but I can see the application in fly fishing. Could be a poor man's flats boat.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I remeber my 2 older brothers and their friends all constructing boards like that out of 2 sheets of foundation foam glued together about 20(?)yrs ago. At a $1000+ they seem over priced and idiotic to own for that much $. It looks fun only if I was using someone elses overpriced board!

from santa wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

In this world of looking for new energy sources, he has came up with a novel way to power his water craft. And after his little joy rid, he can reduce the carbon foot print of his drive system by eating it. Fishing is fishing and no matter how you do it just ENJOY. Remember, Christ was a carpenter but he chose fishermen to follw him and hang outwith.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I'm with you on this one JC. It's a novelty and probably cool to be able to say you did it. But considering how many perfectly servicable utility boats can be had for $200 off a front lawn at the moment, I don't think economics comes in. It's certainly not for comfort.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Stuck...you make a good point about seeing farther, but if we're talking tailing fish (bonefish, reds, etc.) then we're talking super-skinny water. I don't believe a board would be necessarily be quieter. Besides, hitting fish in skinny water is hard enough when all you have to do is cast, not paddle into position, switch the oar for the rod, stay balanced etc. Wind and current also don't move you when your feet are planted.

I'd argue that on a day with any breeze, you'd get more shots on the flats on foot than you would on a board.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

He might have hooked it but he surely didn't bring it back to the dock on that thing!

from Paddleboarding wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Paddle Boarding is not a fad, it is an emerging trend.

Stand up paddle boarding is the fastest growing water sport in the world. The versatility, health benefits and fun factor is why people all over the world are getting hooked on the sport.

When snowboarding started 20 years ago, it also appeared to be a fad.

Today the Bonnier Corp. owns TransWorld SNOWboarding right?

Good chance they might own PaddleBoarding.com as well.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Thanks for the comment Paddleboarding...but for the record...

I'm not knocking the sport as whole. Sure it's healthy and I bet it's a lot of fun to paddle around. But this is a fishing blog, thus I'm speaking only to the paddle board as a means of pursuing fish.

I noticed on your site that actress Kate Hudson is into paddleboarding and I think that's swell. I don't doubt that the sport will get big. Kind of how jet skis are huge, but I can't say they are killer fishing vessels.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Sounds great, have at it, just don't expect tax payer dollars to come rescue you like we do for mountain climbers.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I saw a lot of that in La Jolla last summer. It looks like fun for the young kids.

from seadog wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Part of me thinks that's pretty cool, but the sensible rest of me knows how old I am, so it would probably be wise to leave this passing fad to the young bucks.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Paddleboarding,
You may be right, but I remember having college and H.S. friends who said the same things about ultimate frisbee and frisbee golf.
In the end, whatever floats your boat. I've gotten out in a yak more than my V this year.

from iFished wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I will stick with the kayaks!

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Wasn't the Marlin caught by the Old Man eaten by sharks?

Reckon I'll stay on board the Yacht!

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Looks like it would have been a lot of fun 25 years ago. Not so much anymore. Same thing with motorcycles. I loved them and now I just hurt in a bunch of places when it gets cold because of them.

Just standing on one of those boards takes a great deal of balance and this guy is a pro to do what he is doing. He could get that line wrapped around him with a larger fish and be in big trouble fast. I take my hat off to him and hope the fish is alive and well.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Can't marlins jump from the water and gore you? I kind of laugh at this because the other day there was an artical asking what you would use to go after that huge croc in austrialia and i said a surf board and a harpon gun. I was joking but who knew it was already being done.

from Renegade1 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I think that this method of fishing is completely ridiculous. And furthermore, he cut the fish loose, so A) he hooked the fish, but he didn't catch it; and B) the fish has to swim around (for at least a while) with a lure in its mouth. How can this be good for the fish?

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I think it's cool! Whats wrong with it, it certainly seems more fair than dropping 10 lines and just trolling along and calling your self an angler.

from idduckhntr wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

So what happens when he hooks a killer sharkfish.

from paddle board wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

The appeal of Stand up Paddle Fishing is that you feel fully engaged in nature in a way that is not possible when your cocooned in a kayak.

The feeling of peace and unfettered freedom, the enhanced visual perspective into the water from a standing height,and the smoothly balanced gliding across the water make for a feeling of closeness with nature that is unique to the sport.

On a paddle board you feel one with nature and balanced and connected with the natural environment. Because you must remain balanced on the floating board, you become a part of the flow of nature.

It is a truly zen way to fish.

from kyka1865 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Seems a little like a new deal for the adrenaline junkies. I'll keep my wading boots, canoe, kayak or whatever else can get the job done a little more comfortably

from Cgull wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

What happens when a big marlin pulls the rod from his hands and the velcro strap around his ankle gets hung? Shark bait. I'll stick to my kayak and boats for blue water fishing.

from camuso wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

i love the paddle board for fly fishing. because you keep to a standing position casting is a breeze. also the boards lay very high in the water with their large surface area so you can work into the tight spots. by standing you also have a great view of the water so your ability to spot fish improves.

nice catch

from camuso wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

nice catch

from luca brasi wrote 3 years 6 days ago

The thing about paddleboard fishing is exactly what you say about kayak fishing. With a kayak you can take everything and the kitchen sink. With a paddleboard you are limited to a box of lures and a rod. Of course a small cooler also. Must have some refreshments for the journey. You can keep loading up the kayak with rods, tackle, electronics, etc. and the simplicity is gone. How more simple do you get than a plank and a paddle. Lay dowm take a nap, sit back and drift around and the best way to travel on water. After one season I am hooked and am 50. Give it a try. As good as it gets. And a great easy on your body excersize.

from capt.rsj wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Gentlemen:
Most are correct in that SUP fishing is not the potted meat and Budweiser fishing experience some of us grew up around. However, I also grew up in board sports (surfing/skateboarding) and can tell you that this is absolutely the purest form of fishing one will ever experience. It is the best core body workout, requiring unusual skills, foreign to most. I currently hold a USCG Master Captain's license, and have tournament fished all over the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. But this SUP fishing is more pure and exciting that anything else I've ever done. With no noises, fuel smells, mechanical issues, or annoyances common to the sportfishing tournament scene around, it becomes therapeutic. I now have three boards and spend all my spare time stalking fish from my board. Catch a fish from one of these boards and you will instantly understand the appeal. With regards to it being a fad, I'm pretty sure they said the same about surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding all still going strong after sixty years. Lastly,take my advise and the advise of Cermele, by keeping it simple (one rod and a plano tray) for the purest experience. Tight lines to all and be well.

from santa wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Bookie12 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Paddleboarding wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Paddle Boarding is not a fad, it is an emerging trend.

When snowboarding started 20 years ago, it also appeared to be a fad.

Today the Bonnier Corp. owns TransWorld SNOWboarding right?

Good chance they might own PaddleBoarding.com as well.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Paddleboarding,

from iFished wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I will stick with the kayaks!

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Wasn't the Marlin caught by the Old Man eaten by sharks?

Reckon I'll stay on board the Yacht!

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from paddle board wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

It is a truly zen way to fish.

from camuso wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

nice catch

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Thanks for the comment Paddleboarding...but for the record...

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Renegade1 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

So what happens when he hooks a killer sharkfish.

from kyka1865 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago