Cermele: Grab a Marker, This Needs Some Color

The Lateral Line

September 17, 2010

Cermele: Grab a Marker, This Needs Some Color

By Joe Cermele

Not long ago, I posted about an Oregon lure designer customizing Kwikfish with some killer (and productive) paint jobs. I hinted that adding subtle touches to your own lures isn't a bad idea. Then lo and behold, a good buddy sends me info on the lure below made by Hawaii-based Pili. The bodies are made of an absorbent urethane--kind of like skateboard wheels--and soak in the color from permanent markers, making your custom pattern, well, permanent. My question is, do you see this as a useful angling tool, or kid's art project?

I'm not so much interested in whether the design of the body will catch fish, but am genuinely curious as to whether this is something you might buy for the chance to get artsy. The way I see it, there is a difference between painting stripes on a black plug, or adding glitter to a spinner blade, and taking markers to a white lure. Anglers I know who tweak lures do so because of observations they've made about baitfish in their area, or frequent water conditions in a favorite spot. They recognize that their baits just needed a little somethin,' somethin' extra to match this or that.

Marker ink doesn't flash or reflect, and I'm guessing the absorbtion would cause a minor loss of vibrance, though that's not to say a creative person with a good set of Sharpies couldn't come up with a wicked color scheme. It's also not to say that this isn't a good way to get kids involved in fishing. Kits start at $6, so the price is right.

You tell me: Something that you think may actually catch you more fish, or something that will catch you no more than a marker ink buzz? - JC

from Cgull wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like a great idea to me. We'll be able to match local patterns. Since it absorbs colors, we can apply background shades then the hues as we see fit. +1 for Pili, I'll sure buy a few and hopefully from thier shop!

from Kort Barlow wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Awesome idea, how could you go wrong? I love the ability to create whatever color scheme, baitfish pattern or shading effect that I want & one can always apply a little reflective tape as needed for some extra flash.Looks like it will even produce unfinished as well?

To me that's a fully customizable lure without all of the headaches of needing a ton of equipment or materials. Also a great way to get kids invloved in fishing. Its a blank canvas wrapped in a cool plug design.Very cool.

Nice Post

from Mark Modoski wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I'd put a few in my bag. Being able to customize a lure from the box undoubtedly has its merits for being able to match local forage. I've also found that on bluebird days and on clear lakes, fish will react to baits with little to no color. A couple subtle highlights on a plug like this can make the difference between a few fish and a skunk.

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

There's something to be said of the joys that come from catching fish on flies you tied yourself, on rods you built yourself, or on lures that you've modded or built yourself, I'm all for it.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Can you get the colors to come out metallic/shiny looking like the commercial painted lures? I've ruined lots of lures messing around with paints trying to improve them.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

wow that is awesome i will buy a couple of those it really strikes my curiosity. i am very into fish science and would love to do alittle project of my own on the lakes in the area.

from Ethan3 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I like the idea and I think i can see myself buying some. But it might be more of an art project to me, considering there are tons of lure colors out there so you should be able to find one that fits your needs. Also, i think it would be pretty hard to get very good detail using sharpies to color it. Just my opinion

from jamesti wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

i guess it never hurts to try but i'm not gonna spend half of my day coloring lures. besides i have enough lures to handle just about any conditions i will run into. not that i won't look into it.

from vtbasser wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Not a good Idea. If it is anything like markers on paper it will be flat and unnatural looking especially w/ my skills. We already have plenty of colors. Besides, if you really wan't to match the hatch get someone to custom paint the right lure just right!

from troutbum351 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Not all that inovvative seeing as how anglers have been modifying their baits since the dawn. I would just say that it is wisest to find a scentless marker, to mask it, or to let them dry thoroughly after touch-ups, despite the fact that a hard minnow bait is a reaction-based lure.

from Walleye wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

you could use a metallic spray paint for the base, use the markers for detail,and then put a clear coat on it so the paint won't chip

from dighunter wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I do believe it to be more of a kid's art project. I don't think that the average angler has the artistic ability to make them look realistic although I may be wrong. If others can do it, great for them, but I wouldn't be able to make them look realistic enough.

from Jehnifer Quinn wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I love this idea. We are always fishing going "gosh if it only had such in such color". Great idea for kids too. If my girls were able to color their own lure and then go out fishing they probably would last another 2 minutes into the trip :)

from ILBassin wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

good way to have a large variety of colors of a lure with out having to pay alot. great way to personalize the lure to the type of settings ur fishing in

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 26 weeks ago

I make custom lures and I use markers to add finishing detail on my lures. The markers dont do anything bad to your lure if you choose a good marker such as a sharpie.
Good Article

from RaymondWells wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I have had some pure white jointed Rapalas and did the same thing with them using permanent markers. I think its a great idea and allows you to make the lure for the specific body of water that you are fishing. If you look at many of the lures that you can buy many of them don't have realistic colors or match the hatch like chartreuse but they sure work. Its a great idea!

from Cgull wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago