The Only 3 Bass Lures I Need

The Lateral Line

November 29, 2010

The Only 3 Bass Lures I Need

By John Merwin

Bass lures, basic and beyond. I got to thinking about them over the weekend in also remembering a late friend who I once took bass fishing. She was a complete novice. Once we got into my canoe on a bass pond, the instructions were simple: “Here’s a plastic worm and a hook. Put the worm on the hook and cast it over there. Then twitch the worm slowly.”

She caught lots of bass, partly because the fish would hang on to the scented worm long enough for her to feel a tug and then set the hook. “Wow!” she exclaimed. “I had no idea bass fishing was this easy. If everybody knew it was so simple, the whole huge bass-marketing world would fall apart!”

Well, it’s not always that easy, of course, but sometimes it is. And in thinking about what lures and baits I want to get for next season--meaning those absolutely essential for at least some fishing success--I came up with three that I think are the most important.

A white spinnerbait with silver blades. A 6-inch (more or less) green-pumpkin plastic worm. A Zara Spook topwater. Armed with those three lures, I know I can catch at least some largemouths just about anywhere.

So is that knowledge going to slim down my grossly overweight tackle bag? Of course not. There’s always a chance that something else might work even better than those standards. And as long as there’s that chance, I want to have whatever it might take along when I go bass fishing. I can’t completely predict what I might want for some special bass-fishing circumstance, which is why that tackle bag weighs 30 pounds instead of three pounds.

On the other hand, most of that stuff gets used fairly seldom. Spinnerbait, worm, and a Spook are still my basic choices. What am I missing?

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

A standard bass crankbait with rattles like a bomber or a rattle trap

from Brian Jackson wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Good picks, but I would substitute a buzz bait or popper for the spook. Living in North Alabama and calling Guntersville my home lake a spook can be difficult to work around the grass. A popper or a buzz bait (white with gold or silver two bladed prop) is more consistent here and seems to be more versatile.

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Here in Colorado, I'd take the worm off the list and add tube jigs, nothing like matching craws anywhere you go for success.

from IowaGuy wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

My three

1) Hook, float and nighcrawler
2) Jig with a 3-4 inch tail
3) Mepps spinner #3

from Cody Las-Vegas wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I always have my best days on night crawlers. I did have an awesome day with marshmallows and night crawlers, but was never able to repeat it.

from erik450 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I would probably have to go for a green salamandor, a black buzzbait with a trailer hook and some type of a fake minnow with a little bit of wight added to it for longer casts

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I only need a worm.

from rdorman wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

a deep diving crankbait...in a natural color...o and a rapala super shad rap! and minnows lindy rigged on windy days

from PSU_Bassboss wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Good call on the spinnerbait - it's the most versatile bait out there. You can fish it slow, fast, high, and low.

I always have a tube tied on, but that's more of a smallmouth thing.

Number three for me is a shallow diving crankbait with a square bill - something I can wade through timber, rip around grass, and scrape shallow rocks.

from arlis13 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

1-6inch culprit worm
2-Silver/Black Rapala
3-Bandit Crankbait

from KJ wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

A Super Fluke
A Rapala original
A Zara Spook

from santa wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

An original wooden Zaragosa Spook is pretty darn good but a Heddon yellow plactic Vamp Spook is better. The soft plastic worm needs to be in black and I would replace the spinner bait with a Snagless Sally sporting a yellow and black skirt pulling a piece of Uncle Josh pork frog. You still have the three same basic type of baits, but you have what I like to carry in my box which has worked for me for almost forty years now.

from DMJ wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Believe it or not, my first choice would be an 8' Creme Scoundrel in "live" color t-rigged. My second is Arbogast Jitterbug in black. My third is a lipless crankbait. Sounds old school I know, but I am confident on any water I fish with one of these three lures.

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

3) Mepps spinner #3

from Cody Las-Vegas wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from erik450 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I only need a worm.

from PSU_Bassboss wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I always have a tube tied on, but that's more of a smallmouth thing.

from arlis13 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago