New Reports Show Why Fish and Wildlife Protections Should Not be Compromised

The Conservationist

November 21, 2012

New Reports Show Why Fish and Wildlife Protections Should Not be Compromised

By Bob Marshall

The facts keep coming in on the debate between energy development vs. fish and wildlife protections--and the argument for protections keeps scoring points.

By now, sportsmen, like most Americans, have heard the argument that we must drill-now-and-drill-everywhere because we need to help the struggling economy by lowering the price of gas, and to protect America's national security by making her energy independent.

Well, last month you read about the non-partisan economic studies clearly showing (once again) that more oil production in the U.S. would have little impact on the price of gas at the pump. That's because oil is sold on the world market, which the U.S. has little control over.

Now come two more reports supporting the argument to protect fish and wildlife.

First, we don't need to open more land and issue more drilling permits to make us “energy independent” (if that's even possible). The U.S. is already a net exporter of gas, and the latest report shows "U.S. to Be World’s Top Oil Producer in 5 Years.”

That's even more reason why the nation should continue to adhere to the reforms for energy development on public lands implemented at the beginning of the Obama Administration--and which closely follow recommendations by the Sportsmen for Responsible Energy Development. And that same group released a report last week showing that shale oil development in the mountain west will lead to a water disaster for fish, wildlife and humans.

“An economically viable technology to turn kerogen – a precursor to oil – into a usable fuel is unproven, and the scope of the potential environmental impacts is unclear. But the Government Accountability Office estimates that industrial-scale oil shale production could require as much as 123 billion gallons of water – enough water for a city of more than 750,000 homes. Roads, new power plants and transmission lines would have to be built, causing significant land disturbances and further carving up wildlife habitat already pressured by oil and gas drilling.

“The risk of water quality degradation from this intensive development is high and will require significant oversight…other potential risks include competition between current and new water users. The diversion of water from agriculture to industrial use could harm fisheries because between 10 and 40 percent of the water diverted for farms and ranches eventually flows back to the streams."

So when friends and neighbors tell you we need to "drill-everywhere-drill-now," give 'em the facts.

from Mike Diehl wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

The "drill everywhere" people aren't interested in facts. It's better to give them a boot in the butt as you toss them out the door into the gutter.

from hhack wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

The two reports you mention aren't talking about drilling. They are talking about open pit mining of tar sands and oil shales. I would agree that the technology has not come far enough to make oil shale and tar sands a viable or responsible source of energy.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

If I ever make enough money to be able to go off the grid, I plan on it. I wish the people who already had the money would do so. Reduce, reuse, recycle...we need to adhere to these three simple concepts more than ever before we have nothing left to conserve and protect.

Call me a hippy, tree-huggin' SOB, I really don't care. Our country's economy is dangerously dependent on oil and there's not an infinite supply. We will run out, and then what? Our generation is ruining the future the generations to come.

from Gsquare wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Mr. Diehl,you can't win them over with that kind of talk. Besides, I know some roughnecks who would take you on for kicks, no pun intended.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

People aren't interested in facts. They want to hear what they want to hear, and they want it while they pump $1/gallon gas. Period.

from rock rat wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Where is a good place to drill for oil?

Are other peoples places to hunt and fish ugly? Should we be polluting them?

I don't want cheap gas, and I don't want oil drilling to make jobs, but I do think we have a responsibility not to export our pollution and disruption that energy extraction brings.

What can we do? I'd say make oil drilling and gas production as regulated as possible, as clean and the least destructive as possible.

And even before that reduce. Reduce the amount of gas we burn. Underpowered pick ups and cars. Reduce the distance you will travel to hunt or fish. Never fly to recreate. Reduce the "stuff" you need to have. We need to go on a diet.

from Kybill54 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

We have so many ideas on energy resources.But aslong as the companies have their lobbiests in Washington and offer stock to them it will be a hard fight.Look how the oil companies have dominated our energy resources.Coal companies have done the samething.Look at the Appilacian Mountain tops.The land and water below has been destroyed when they bulldoze the reminnices to the bottom of the mountains.The streams no longer excist.The coal being taken is going over seas.We need to put our 2 cents in.We could in time be facing another dust-bowl era.

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Am I the only guy who lives in a country where the water and air is cleaner than it was when he was growing up? Am I the only guy who sees more deer, formorly extinct species like turkeys and osprey and eagles and peregrine falcons spreading both in geographic area and in raw numbers? If I lived in the country you guys live in I might be concerned. The country I live in has resisted devastating the economy for the benifit of urban elitists. Remember folks, there are people in this country who will show a picture of a dead spawned out coho salmon to a uninformed voter and blame the death on Big Oil. Do your own research, don't rely on professional propaganda experts to inform you.

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Lotsa deer, turkey and game where I live. Quail are down due to heat and drought. Lotsa oil production too!

Upset over oil production?
Boy, are you guys gonna be tic'd at Owebama in a few years!

www.thirdterm10.com

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from wisc14 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

lab: the reason we had the recovery of osprey and bald eagles is due to things like the clean water act.

bubba: deer and turkeys can live anywhere. contrary ruffed grouse and brook trout cannot

from Davidd wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

I live in Ohio and I am on the fence about drilling for natural gas. Our governor open state parks for drilling and there is a natural gas boom. After seeing the movie Gasland,I am concern about the watershed and the environment. However, i have seen a boom in job creation. Construction, the steel mills, and even the local stores where workers buy supplies are seeing an increase at the economic end.

from Davidd wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

If it wasn't for the Cuyahoga River catching on fire back in the 70's, and it wasn't the first time. There would be no EPA. Now i kayak it and see rowing teams from the local universities.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from hhack wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Where is a good place to drill for oil?

Are other peoples places to hunt and fish ugly? Should we be polluting them?

from Davidd wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from Kybill54 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from Davidd wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from Gsquare wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 20 weeks ago

Upset over oil production?
Boy, are you guys gonna be tic'd at Owebama in a few years!

www.thirdterm10.com