Oklahoma Family Launches New Deer Hunting Competition

Field Notes

May 28, 2010

Oklahoma Family Launches New Deer Hunting Competition

By Chad Love

From the Tulsa World:

Family, dedication and hunting are three things inextricably tied in the life of Greg Koch, and now the Broken Arrow man is taking it all on the road to find America's best 40 deer hunters. The Kochs will hit a different store roughly every other day from Texas to Florida to Wisconsin and all points between the next two months. But it doesn't end there. The competitions will follow and then there will be field video work. This kind of deer hunting competition — using gun scopes that take a photo when a blank shot is fired — is a new concept.

From the kickoff tour to overseeing the first of the competitions, to creating educational deer hunting videos, it will be no small task launching the new organization, dubbed the American Whitetail Authority. Save a week here or there, Greg and Kim Koch and their four children, Colt, 13, Samantha, 7, Mackenzie, 4, and Tucker, 2, will be on the road through December.

If the idea sounds odd to you, you're not alone. Koch has met some critics, but he said most people like the idea once they learn more. "Deer hunting competition is going to happen," Greg Koch said. "It's just been a matter of time and finding the right way to do it."

Reaction? Good idea or a travesty? Do you agree that "deer hunting competition is going to happen"?

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Inevitable. Not for me, but who am i to say how others should waste their time and money.
SBW

from MLH wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

That should educate some whitetails before season starts.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I knew it would soon happen but everyone jump on me because I am an old fogy and I don't believe hunting should be tied to any type of competition. I think that Dream Season is disgustinhg on the Outdoor Channel and that is just one example why that is not one of my favorite channels anymore just like the competition of the long range shooting called western extreme. You can call it what you want, but its competition. I don't like it I don't think it has any place in hunting. Fire away at me. I am a big boy I can take it.

from Don Mitchell wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

sarge01,my sentiments also

from rex in MO wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Sarge, I agree with you completely. The tv,video,competetion thing has gotten way out of hand.Target shooting at those distances is fun,but shooting at a live animal is just unethectal.To big a chance for a wounded animal. What happened to just good ol boys goin out an enjoying the outdoors. The same thing is happening with all these food plots that are put out for the sole purpose to feed and harvest Mr. big buck. What happed to hunting at farmer Browns corn or bean field that he put in to earn a living.I hope MY son or I never get caught up in all that crap just to harvest a deer.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Why is it, no matter what the topic, right away someone starts pissin and moanin about food plots being the damnation of hunting. To each his own. As for the competition, seems harmless enough to me. Your hunt doent always have to end in a dead deer. I enjoy videoing on my many food plots as much as finally takeing an old giant buck after watching him for several years. I do find the long distance shooting at game very offensive also.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Hank111,
I said I am against competition just to kill an animal and I will always be against long range shooting just to see who can kill an animal the longest distance. Too much chance for error. They can try to make you believe what they want you to believe but they don't always kill an animal at 900 yards every time. I was born in the dark, but it wasn't last night.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

sargeo1- I totally agree on both counts.

from Reynosajake wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Good evening to all...I came across this topic looking for information on the new deer rifles for 2010...competition in its most basic form has been around since the good Lord put clay to form...I don't intend to get biblical here but in any of the history I have ever read or theology that I have been exposed to...and I have been all around the world...culture, religion, worship or whatever competition has been there...to boil it down the strongest shall survive....now I have been hunting since I was a little fellow with my grandfather holding a 22 so I could shoot a squirrel that I had to clean and eat....we weren't in a financial situation that required us to harvest game...I had many friends that did...but my grandfather explained that we have encroached and we are dominant therefore we have devised a responsibility that we have generated by the reduction of the habitats that we once those of the animals....I am a professional engineer that comes from a family that grew up in the dust bowl scratching from the land to meet those demands of feeding a family...I hunt, and I enjoy it! I was raised in the church and spend my time now in the church of Mother Nature where I realize that based on the growth of humanity and many other rationalities hunting has become a sport for many and some still believe that pulling the trigger or snapping the release is a responsibility that we have made our own....I have never brought my deer to a tag station for the local gaming for who shot the largest deer...I spent over 9 years in the infantry as a grunt and later a sniper..."competition" is a slur on hunting....if those out there want to "compete" I suggest that they go to the local paint ball range with their buddies...don't slander the phrase "hunting"...I could go on for hours on this subject....but, I am against it...I don't watch OLN or any of the other so call outdoor channels anymore...just my opinion.

Best to all!

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

They are catch and release deer hunting. Just snapping pictures thru the scope, so what. Its better than killing every mature buck that crosses their path. If they can do an informative show, and let the buck live to see another day, great.

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

I like shows like dream season, it takes deer hunting to a family tradition between other families around the country and answers some of the most basic questions of deer hunters, like where's the best place, what's the best way to hunt deer, and shows who the top hunter is at the end of the season along with helping a good cause, (catch a dream) foundation. The idea of this competition though doesn't sound like something that will stick because it's based to solely on competition.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

SBW

from MLH wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

That should educate some whitetails before season starts.

from Don Mitchell wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

sarge01,my sentiments also

from rex in MO wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Hank111,

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

sargeo1- I totally agree on both counts.

from Reynosajake wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago