Indiana Proposing New Catfish Limits in Response to Commercial, Sport Fishing

Field Notes

February 28, 2011

Indiana Proposing New Catfish Limits in Response to Commercial, Sport Fishing

By Chad Love

The state of Indiana is proposing new limits on catfish in response to what it sees as increased pressure on big cats from both commercial and sport anglers.

From this story in the Evansville Courier and Press:
Indiana is proposing to increase the size limit on all catfish (channel, flathead, blue) from 10 to 15 inches in inland rivers (but not the Ohio) and to limit sport anglers and commercial fisherman to a daily limit of one large catfish of each of those three species, which makes the possession limit two. The DNR's release tsaid the proposals are in response to public concerns regarding increasing harvest pressure on catfish, recently completed catfish research in the Wabash River and "fish management discussions with other Ohio River states."

The size limits would soon (30 days after the rule change is filed) be one channel cat in excess of 28 inches, one flathead longer than 35 inches and one blue cat longer than 35 inches. At least one commercial angler, Roy Elder, is not happy about it. "The state's just trying to push this through on us," said Elder, of Evansville. "It's going to make a tough living even tougher. It's already dog eat dog out there."

Thoughts? As trophy hunting for big cats gains in popularity, do you think more states will take a look at restricting limits? Should they? Has it already happened in your state?

from jamesti wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

this is the firsy i've heard of this. one per person? ouch! how many fish do the commercial fishermen take? i like to keep at least 3 for the freezer so i'm not for it. i can't fish every day and i like to stock my freezer for winter. hard to do it this way.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

I live a minute or so walk from the Wabash river and in the summer I walk down there 2 or 3 times a week and fish for 3 - 4 hours as the sun goes down. Maybe I am just a terrible catfisherman, but I may strike out 5 or 6 times before I catch a keeper. So in that respect I would guess I would support the new regulations.

But it seems like they could do a bit more though than just limiting the number of big fish taken. Like the bag limit on rivers is NONE in Indiana and (not on the wabash but) I have seen people with a truck bed full of catfish and its like did you really need to take all those?

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

So how many cats could you catch and keep between 15 inches and the top end of the slot (28 in, and 35 in for flathead and blue)? Surely it isn't one cat of eaxch spcies over 15 inches, is it?

from ejunk wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

what exactly is a "commercial angler" in the context of this conversation?

yrs-
Evan!

from jamesti wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

what i was wondering evan but i was afraid to look stupid by asking. thanks. plus 1.

from tkbone wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

There's about 70 million more people in the USA now then when I started fishing. The population will continue to increase rapidly. I think slots and low limits like those imposed for stripers, redfish, and other species on the east coast are by far the best compromise to allow ever increasing numbers of anglers to put food on the table and give the breeding-size fish a chance to spawn. I would be happy to see blue cats and flatheads made a game fish species in my home state with slot limits to protect their future. With digital cameras on just about every electronic device, there's no need to keep a big fish anymore just to remind yourself or others that you caught it.

from bass bomber wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

Right now here in Indiana the size limit is none for bullheads; none for channel, blue, and flatheads in lakes, and 10 inches for channel, blue, and flatheads in streams. Its been years since ive caught a catfish but my dad caught 4 last year.

from ejunk wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

what exactly is a "commercial angler" in the context of this conversation?

yrs-