It's Not Delivery, It's a Drugged Elk...and A Free Meal for a Mountain Lion

Field Notes

February 25, 2011

It's Not Delivery, It's a Drugged Elk...and A Free Meal for a Mountain Lion

By Chad Love

--Chad Love

There are lucky days, and then there are lucky days. For one South Dakota mountain lion, last Saturday was definitely the latter...

From this story in the Rapid City Journal:
Talk about an unlucky elk. And a lucky lion. The two got together Saturday in Custer State Park as a helicopter crew was shooting sedation darts at cow elk to drug them so they could be handled in a research project. One elk hit by a dart staggered over into some vegetation to lie down. It never got up, thanks to the lion, which was waiting nearby.

"It was a nice sunny day, and I guess that lion was sitting out there sunning itself when an elk staggers up and tips over," said Gary Brundige, resource manager in Custer State Park. "Well, what's any top-of-the-line predator going to do in a situation like that?" It killed the elk and prepared to have dinner. The action was over in a hurry. The helicopter crew made sure the elk was dead and moved on to the next one.

Someone needs to buy that mountain lion a lottery ticket...

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

This is just like the marlin getting attacked by the shark lol. Nothing you really could do if an animal is slowed in the wild other animals take advantage granted if this happened more than once to the same crew they may want to rethink there tactics. I would think the mountain lion should have been scared of the helicopter but i guess not. Should have sedated the lion to lol.

from huntnow wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

If you're going to be killed and eaten by a mountain lion, I guess that is the best way to go.

from Bella wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Being a "cougar" myself,I just have to laugh at this. Yay! Free Lunch!

from MaxPower wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Bella I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little.

from jbird wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I agree with huntnow, if you gotta get ate, I'd rather be asleep. I wonder if the lion got drowsy and took a long nap after his meal?

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

another instance of humans interfering.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Casey Walker wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

If it weren't for human "interference" neither of those animals would be populated enough to even be in existence right now. Its ok to be passionate about something but you should also be educated about the subject enough to make an intelligent remark.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

i'm educated all right. let's see. we put it to sleep and it gets eaten by an animal that isn't. we did that! get it? that isn't natural no matter how you put it. get educated before you start giving negatives. did i give you one for your view? learn to navigate on here.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

oh, and one of those plus 1's is from me.

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Both of you have valid points, just opposite sides of the spectrum. Human interferance has its upsides and downsides (Hopefully more ups than downs!). At best this is a strange story and at worst an unfortunate event. Unless, of course, the lion did fall asleep shortly thereafter like jbird wondered - that would be hilarious!

from buckshot89 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

we, as in humans have to do our studies and lions must eat. unfortunate for the elk? yes. not to sound ignorant, but there are more elk out there and her death freed up resources for another elk. i see little difference between a human shooting this animal with a dart or bullet. dead is dead.

from Don Mitchell wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I don't think think the chopper crew ment for the kitty cat
to eat there research project for supper,jamesti,you jumped the gun on the one.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

And why didn't they drug the lion too or land the chopper as they would have and scare it off? Somethings missing from this story or some idiots were in charge.

from Team Outdoor Ad... wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I'm no Marty Stouffer, but the only human interference that I see, is waking the lion from his cat nap. Or is it that Mountain lions have never killed elk before? Maybe the only Elk meat they have ever tasted is hand fed by humans. Oh wait, that's right, they are out in the "wild" these things have occurred before........ I think, anyways?????

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I think every guy that hunts wishes he could get as lucky as this cougar

from MaxPower wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Bella I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little.

from huntnow wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Casey Walker wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

oh, and one of those plus 1's is from me.

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from buckshot89 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Being a "cougar" myself,I just have to laugh at this. Yay! Free Lunch!

from Don Mitchell wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I don't think think the chopper crew ment for the kitty cat
to eat there research project for supper,jamesti,you jumped the gun on the one.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Team Outdoor Ad... wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I think every guy that hunts wishes he could get as lucky as this cougar

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

another instance of humans interfering.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report