Texas Lawmakers: Universities Should Allow Concealed Handguns

Field Notes

February 25, 2011

Texas Lawmakers: Universities Should Allow Concealed Handguns

By David Maccar

While students at the University of Iowa  are being trained to survive a violent incident while unarmed in response to the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings and similar incidents, Texas is taking a different approach.

More than half the members of the Texas House have signed on as co-authors of a measure directing universities to allow concealed handguns for students and teachers. With 38 public universities and more than a half-million students in the Lone Star state, that’s a lot of potential firepower.

Those supporting the measure argue that examples of gun violence on campuses show the best defense against a gunman is students who can shoot back.

From this story in the Huffington Post:
Texas is preparing to give college students and professors the right to carry guns on campus, adding momentum to a national campaign to open this part of society to firearms. More than half the members of the Texas House have signed on as co-authors of a measure directing universities to allow concealed handguns. The Senate passed a similar bill in 2009 and is expected to do so again. Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who sometimes packs a pistol when he jogs, has said he's in favor of the idea.

Texas has become a prime battleground for the issue because of its gun culture and its size, with 38 public universities and more than 500,000 students. It would become the second state, following Utah, to pass such a broad-based law. Colorado gives colleges the option and several have allowed handguns.

Supporters of the legislation argue that gun violence on campuses, such as the mass shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007 and Northern Illinois in 2008, show that the best defense against a gunman is students who can shoot back.

"It's strictly a matter of self-defense," said state Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio. "I don't ever want to see repeated on a Texas college campus what happened at Virginia Tech, where some deranged, suicidal madman goes into a building and is able to pick off totally defenseless kids like sitting ducks."

Until the Virginia Tech incident, the worst college shooting in U.S. history occurred at the University of Texas, when sniper Charles Whitman went to the top of the administration tower in 1966 and killed 16 people and wounded dozens. Last September, a University of Texas student fired several shots from an assault rifle before killing himself.

Similar firearms measures have been proposed in about a dozen other states, but all face strong opposition, especially from college leaders. In Oklahoma, all 25 public college and university presidents declared their opposition to a concealed carry proposal.

"There is no scenario where allowing concealed weapons on college campuses will do anything other than create a more dangerous environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors," Oklahoma Chancellor of Higher Education Glen Johnson said in January.

University of Texas President William Powers has opposed concealed handguns on campus, saying the mix of students, guns and campus parties is too volatile.

So what’s the verdict? Do you think that handguns, students and the college environment is a potentially disastrous mix or a necessary preventative measure?

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I don't see a problem with it if the students have to still go through the concealed permit course and all of that.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

arm them and let them defend themselves!

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Right on! The only thing those laws do is prevent good people from being able to really, truly protect themselves. Any crazy fool can bring a weapon onto campus "illegally" and wreak havoc, so let's even up the playing field!

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

the state of colorado is also considering such a law. and it has been proposed that coloradoans can legally carry concealed without a permit. at least there are still a few in this country who respect our constitution's second amendment.

from Kenton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

The UT President has makes a good point. Even with training of the "carrying" students theres a lot that could go wrong. There are lots of open doors during parties. Drunks and firearms are a bad combination.

from dneaster3 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I am for it.

I will admit that the idea of 21-year-old fratboys in Austin packing heat is enough to make me nervous, but it'll also make the criminals nervous, which is the point.

from jeffo52284 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

In Idaho there is no required class to get your concealed weapon permit. in my opinion i think there should be a university class in gun training required if you want to carry a concealed weapon on campus so that not everyone with money to buy a gun is out packing one around with no knowledge of how to shoot it and be safe. we dont want another plaxico burress situation where someone accidentally shoots themselves in the middle of a large crowd.

from egildone wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Blackdawgz, you're too funny and faceous, errr facetous, err, facetious.

Ed

from weswes088 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I've been wrestling with this issue for quite some time. I honestly still don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, people should be allowed to defend themselves. On the other hand, it can result in more problems (accidents, incidents, too many people shooting if something does go down). Too many things can go wrong with it, but things can go wrong without it as well. I guess the only way to tell for sure will be for some universities to try it out and see what happens, but good luck to whoever turns out to be the guinea pig in that experiment.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

So far, (knock on wood!) legalizing firearms in these settings has not increased, but "decreased" illegal firearm activity!!!
How many college students, living off campus, do you think are armed?

Bubba

from rose0660 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I am a college student at the U of M (Minnesota) And there is nothing I would be more opposed to. In Minnesota all one has to be is 21, can't be a "gang member, or be convicted of certain violent crimes", must have taken a fire arms safety class, have a copy of your driver's license, and have a state ID card/ passport photo and pay a application fee...In my opinion just about anyone who goes to U of M or just about any college in this nation could ubtain all of the listed above...just my opinion, and please prove me wrong. What happened at VT was terrible and I hope no one will ever go through that again, but allowing more GUNS on campus is just ridiculous and WILL NOT solve the problem.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

It has been proven time and time again, that where guns are present, these "crazed" gunmen refuse to go.
Why?
Their intent is to inflict as much damage as possible without interference. The eventual end, suicide most of the time, is just a cowards way out of the delimma. They are cowards, therefore have NO desire to confront other armed people.
That's why they select schools, churchs and other places they feel there are a collection of unarmed victims.

Bubba

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

the right of the people to KEEP and BEAR arms shall not be infringed. what part of that do the hand wringers not understand? someone once said that to be perfectly safe one would have to stay in bed all the time and hope the roof doesn't cave in. but if you do that you might as well be dead anyway. the fact remains that no government or no law can keep anyone safe from anything. the very idea of safety is a myth. in the end, we are all responsible for our own safety.

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

roseo660: You are right anyone who fits your description can get a permit. Those wanting to do harm don't need one. In a situation like this I worry about the responsibility of the gun owners. They must keep their guns out of the hands of other students and securely locked up when not in their possession. I think the idea of arming teachers and students has merrit. But it only takes one unguarded moment to cause a tragedy.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Regardless of the opinions on this forum, the Texas State Legislature will be the deciding authority on this question. Prohibition of arms is unconstitutional, as neither the U.S. nor Texas Constitutions places any restriction on places where arms may be carried.
All applicants for a Texas CHL must pass a background check and a range qualification course, and the CHL course itself is made up largely of law regarding the carry and use of concealed firearms.
We allow 17 and 18 year olds to carry M-4s, Beretta 9 mms, and some really heavy weapons in defence of our Country, why not allow them a concealed weapon to defend themselves, and possibly others?

Kenton, you are an inveterate nebbish.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

SEC. 23. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power by law to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

Quoted from the Texas Constitution of 1876.

from Big Country wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I'm in Austin Texas as I type this and I carry a gun every day (at least week days) I'm traind and I'm ok with students and Teachers being able to carry a handgun concealed. Like others the 21 year old frat boy scene does pose some questions but I'm still okay with the idea. As far as to many people shooting back at one time, i doubt that would happen. Is it possible? Yes it is. Is it likely? No not realy. You figure that most people will not do it because it is a huge hassle to dress for concealment and maintain permits and the gun itself, (in Austin) there are a lot of those "crazy Liberals" that don't agree with firearms and want to take them away from those of us who do fallow laws and understand that the police are a reactive force that is not reponseible for our 24 hour protection, and most of those that will cary will not be (mentaly) in a state that they will draw and fire on an actacter right off the bat. Most will hide first and then will open fire from cover or concealment in the (god forbid) event of a mass shooting lik at Virginia Tech.

from jhorton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I am all for "responsible " citizens owning/carrying firearms. I have worked on a college campus for 23 years and believe that this would be like pouring gas on a fire to allow students to carry guns on campus. We must consider we are talking about people that are not getting enough sleep, are not eating right and in some cases benge drinking and for the most part dealing with an extreme amount of presure on a daily basis.I have seen these young people get into brawls over pickup basketball games as well as knock down dragout fights over a parking place.I can deal with breaking up a fight but throw in a couple of Glock 40's and this situation will get tragic quick.It is sad to say but in the world we live in there will always be some nutcases out there that are going to do some bad stuff but we must not help by arming a population that is not ready for that responsibility.Most university campus's are destinations for not only college age people but high school kids as well as middle school and elementary age children. We host camps, conferences and sporting events on a regular basis. If this sort of legislation passes we will be subjecting basically the whole population of our educational system to a very dangerous situation.

from jackie_treehorn wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

jhorton says it best.

just step back for a minute, put the constitution down. college should be a place where students can freely be creative and learn, not worry about who is carrying a gun. The priority should be to create an environment that is conducive to making stand-up citizens, not people living in fear of each other.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from PigHunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

This year my son will start attending a University located in a major city nearby. He will commute through higher crime areas and sometimes will need to walk to his car after dark. It would make me feel better if he could legally carry on campus. I attended the same University for an advanced degree eight years ago. Yes, I carried concealed to class and no one was the wiser. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

whats this? use the rights our forefathers entitled to us? wow! what an idea! maybe it will catch on....

from apape720 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

As a college student at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, I am in favor of this kind of measure. The campus cops are not always around the corner when you need them. Although my university is very safe, it is not immune to crime. The "bad guys" will do what they may, regardless of the law. Giving those who would be allowed to carry off campus the ability to carry on campus is a logical extension of their rights. Of course, we still need to get CC in Wisconsin to begin with...

from apape720 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

jhorton,

In nearly every state, one must be 21 to get a CC permit. They have gone through the required processes and have been found to be responsible enough to carry a firearm all the time. Why would these same people suddenly become violent and irresponsible by walking onto a college campus? Of the 18 campuses across the nation that allow students to carry, there has been not one altercation involving a student legally carrying a firearm.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Well, I have lived in both worlds. Grew up and got my BA in Montana. Also a disabled American vet. Graduate degrees and present residence is in Canada. There is no such thing as a concealed weapon up here except for law enforcement ... and only rarely for them. And we have undoubtedly the lowest crime rate in the Western Hemisphere and probably one of the lowest in the world. Is adding more concealed weapons to the brew going to lower the crime rate? I doubt it. I'm inclined to believe it will only aggrevate it. My daughter is not going to college any place where they actually encourage everyone to be armed. No way. The cure to this problem has nothing to do with guns. It is cultural. But to romanticize or essentially mandate gun possession is not going to fix what's wrong with a violent culture. It will only make things worse. That's just common sense.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Hoski wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Watched a Texas Senator or House Rep. interviewed the other day on this subject. The Interviewer, like all media types, tried his damnest to portray the interviewee as some gun totin wild west lunitic. The interviewer proposed all manner of "what if" scenarios and "what would happen if". The interviewee calmly answered each question and idiotic "what if" scenario very well.
I firmly believe an armed society is a polite society.

from PigHunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Ontario Honker Hunter, thank you for your service to our country and I'm sorry you are now disabled. I am happy you now live in Canada where it's safe.

from Sharkfin wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I've said this time and time again. They are not talking about letting everybody just start carrying gun. They are talking about those with a conceal and carry permit. That means the folks that the universities don't want on campus for fear of crazed gunfights on campus streets are the same people carrying a gun every where else they go. I could see some logic behind this if we constantly, or ever, saw some report on how much trouble people with conceal and carry permits were causing, running around shooting up every where they go. That just doesn't happen, we are the responsible ones. The ones that jumped through all the hoops to get to exercise our rights. The Right To Keep and Bear Arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!! What am I missing? Why are we even having this discussion, the law of the land tells me I have the right and no one can take it away. Any law, rule, legislation that infringes on someone who has not done something to have his rights taken away is UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!

from scratchgolf72 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

im somewhat torn on the issue. being in college, ive met alot of functioning idiots who i wouldnt want to see packing a handgun in there waist. on the other hand, if for some reason i ever were to find myself in a situation where there was a derranged student on my campus shooting people, id like to have a gun with me.

from crazycrell wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

As a college student in Utah, Concealed carry is legal both for students and staff, and if you have your concealed carry permit it is currently legal to open carry on campus as well. While I do not agree with open carry on campus, concealed carry is perfectly acceptable. I see several individuals everyday that you can see the outline of their sidearms under their shirts, and I have seen a revolver in a professors briefcase on several occasions. There hasn't been the "bloodbath" that has been predicted. Yes some people will be legally carrying concealed firearms who shouldn't, but in some cases they are already doing it. If my only options were a frat boy with a concealed permit legally packing, and a criminal illegally packing (which they already are), I would always choose the frat boy.

from Carl Huber wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I've had my three children in college. My only questions would be. How do you tell the difference between the crazy guy and the person shooting the crazy guy. Since the college allows firearms on campus are they liable for an innocent bystander being shot by a good samaritan. If the police are called to the school and forty students have their pistols in hand; in that life and death situation who do they shoot. Couple that with half of these shootings where done with rifles done from a hide or rage inspired where the perp did not expect or want to survive. Well I believe a better fix would be regular police on campus instead of campus cops.

from jjcz75b wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I am supportive of this measure.

If I'm not mistaken there's another Texas bill that would allow CHL holders to open carry their firearms. Such a thing would be a HUGE distraction on a campus so I hope that proposal would disallow such a thing on a university campus. Apart from that, I hope Texas passes gets what they want.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

How many college students, living off campus, do you think are armed?

Bubba

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Why?

Bubba

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Kenton, you are an inveterate nebbish.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Quoted from the Texas Constitution of 1876.

from dneaster3 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I am for it.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

arm them and let them defend themselves!

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jhorton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from weswes088 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from egildone wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Blackdawgz, you're too funny and faceous, errr facetous, err, facetious.

Ed

from Kenton wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Big Country wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from apape720 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

jhorton,

from jjcz75b wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I am supportive of this measure.

from jeffo52284 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from Hoski wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I firmly believe an armed society is a polite society.

from crazycrell wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago