Humane Society Poll: Iowans Oppose Dove Hunting Season

Field Notes

March 22, 2011

Humane Society Poll: Iowans Oppose Dove Hunting Season

By Chad Love

There are—to paraphrase an old saw—lies, damned lies and polls. And a new poll commissioned by the Humane Society of the United States finds that a majority of Iowans don't want the state to create a dove hunting season. Shocked?

From this story in the Des Moines Register:
A majority of Iowa voters oppose opening a dove hunting season here, according to a survey funded by a group lobbying against the proposal. Asked if they support or oppose allowing dove hunting, 54 percent of Iowans said oppose and 25 percent said support, according to a survey commissioned by the Humane Society of the United States, a Washington, D.C.-based animal protection group. A substantial number of Iowans, 21 percent, are undecided, according to the statewide survey conducted by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc.

A bill before the Iowa Senate would authorize the state Natural Resource Commission to establish a dove-hunting season. A vote on Senate File 464 in the next week or so seems likely, senators have said. A majority of Iowa Democrats, Republicans and independents all share opposition, according to the survey released Monday. Women share stronger opposition than men: 63 percent of women are against dove hunting while 44 percent of men are opposed.

Perhaps Iowans should just give up on the notion of ever having a dove season? We all know polls don't lie, omit pertinent information or contain leading questions that help affirm the political desires of the organization commissioning the poll, right?

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

The legislature in IA passed a proposal for a dove season in 2001 but the governor, Tom Vilsack (current Sec of Ag under Obama), quickly vetoed it. I don't think a majority of Iowans really care one way or the other and I wouldn't trust the Humane Society as far as I could throw them. I think it has a 50/50 chance this year this year with a Democrat controlled Senate. Bottom line, I am for it but my wife, not so much.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

how do you represent 100% of iowans if 100% were were not polled? And I don't beleive you can take a portion of the people and get an acurate picture, it depends too much on where the people you ask live. I was never asked to take a poll, nor was anyone i know. I'd guess they just polled humane society members. I'll vote for a dove season to open. I know pigeon tastes good, doves will too.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I would be hard pressed to believe anything that HSUS says other than that they will gladly take my money.

from rock rat wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

HSUS says it all.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Consider the source. Is an HSUS poll as credible as a health safety review of cigarette use from a Tobacco Lawyer? Probably not.

from seadog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I'd love to see the actual questions. If HSUS funded the survey, you can bet it was a push poll.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Just hope that hunting season by ballot don't become common place across the nation. If they do one can certainly expect more of this. If the Iowans don't want to hunt them send them south where we do!

from bass bomber wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I support hunting but the HSUS isnt really that bad. They don't really support hunting but they save lots of pets from abuse which sadly is common.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckhunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Bass Bomber,

If you go to the HSUS Website you will find their 990 tax form as required by IRS law. Upon careful observation you will find that approximately 1.5 cents out of every dollar goes to animals. The rest lines the pockets of the so called "good people of HSUS".

In my opinion, there is nothing more despicable than an organization stealing money from individuals under the ruse of helping animals.

Just my opinion.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Bass Bomber,

If you truly want to see what HSUS is about, go to humanewatch.org and scan thru the posts. HSUS is a scam, preying on many well meaning but misinformed individuals only to raise funds to further their political agenda, force their beliefs on others, and harass law-abiding citizens by magnifying the misconduct of few to become the false representation of many.

Not just my opinion, but facts.

from shane wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Thank you, Buck and ckRich.

Next up, NRA poll - 99% of Iowans want to shoot 50 doves a day.

from Bushwackers wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

I get my hopes up everytime this topic comes up but i dont see it passin

from JohnR wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Bass bomber I think you have the HSUS confused with the SPCA and the many independent Humane Societies (who do predominantly work with stray dogs and cats) around the USA. These are not to be confused with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) which is another extreme animal rights group similar to PETA.
It is a common enough mistake for people get the two groups mixed up.

from bass bomber wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

I just got the two goups mixed up. I kinda knew I would get some negative comments.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

damn humane society, same people that want to take away my meat on mondays on my university campus!!!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Bass Bomber,

Just my opinion.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Bass Bomber,

Not just my opinion, but facts.

from shane wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Thank you, Buck and ckRich.

Next up, NRA poll - 99% of Iowans want to shoot 50 doves a day.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

It is a common enough mistake for people get the two groups mixed up.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago