Iowa Dove Hunting Bill Passes, Goes Before Governor

Field Notes

March 24, 2011

Iowa Dove Hunting Bill Passes, Goes Before Governor

By Chad Love

Remember that Humane Society poll that indicated a majority of of Iowans opposed dove hunting?

Apparently Iowa legislators didn’t get the memo, because a measure creating Iowa's first dove season has passed both houses and will now go to the governor for approval.

From this story on radioiowa.com
Iowa hunters may be able to legally shoot mourning doves this fall. It’s been illegal to hunt mourning doves for nearly a century in this state, but the Iowa House has endorsed the idea of allowing a dove hunting season here....Governor Branstad has promised to sign the bill into law. “I tell you, I know somebody that wants to be here for the bill signing: my son, Marcus,” Branstad said this afternoon during an interview with Radio Iowa. “He is really excited about this. This kid loves to hunt, a lot of different species, and this is one more.”

Then, in a rare speech on the House floor this afternoon, Branstad reminisced about dove-hunting debates of the past. “I also was a state representative in 1973 when we brought the dove bill out of committee. I got more hate mail on that issue than anything else,” Branstad said, with a laugh. On Tuesday, the Iowa Senate passed a bill that calls for a dove hunting season in Iowa and today House leaders used a complicated maneuver to pass that same legislation onto Branstad for his signature. Representative Mary Mascher, a Democrat from Iowa City, accused House Republican leaders of rushing the issue through so Iowans wouldn’t have a chance to voice their objections.

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

As usual those against this bill are using emotion and name calling rather than facts or science to support their claims. I, for one, am looking forward to finally being able to hunt doves in my own state.

from bjohnston wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Doves are tasty pan fried in butter. I wish the Humane Society would stick to domesticated animals and leave the game management to biologists.

from Timthedog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Fantastic now I get to train my new pup to scent doves and pheasants. Not many quail in Iowa but doves should be a fast small target to practice on before my Georgia dove trips.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I think some dove will find my frypan this fall.

from Bushwackers wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

After not even seein a phesant or quail in years (i do hear a rooster cackle while in my tree stand a couple times a year) we finally have something to hunt...YESSSS!!!!

from DaleM wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I can remember looking at the doves lining the power, phone, and fence lines in Iowa when I was a kid and wondering why anyone would want to hunt them. My first dove hunting experience was in South Carolina, late in the season. The doves that came over were high and fast and they'd start evasive maneuvers upon seeing any movement. I fired a box of shells and got one...

Enjoy your hunts.

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Good for Iowa! Doves taste amazing.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Good on Iowa. Down with HSUS!

from stephenah85 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I am all for hunting. I love to hunt deer, turkey, coyote, the works. But why hunt a song bird? Now people will be able to simply walk up to a tree and blast a few birds. That's not hunting. This bill seems to me like a way for a state that is broke to make a little extra money on a bird that doesn't need to be hunted.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from oldgene wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

stephenah85, have you ever tried hunting doves? DaleM is a little more realistic one box of shells = one dove.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from kbn1959 wrote 3 years 5 days ago

You hunters have enough game out there to shoot and kill. Now you have to go out and shoot tiny birds which have very little meat on them.
You're all just hunters for the blood of the kill for this small bird..

from bjohnston wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Timthedog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Good on Iowa. Down with HSUS!

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I think some dove will find my frypan this fall.

from Bushwackers wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from DaleM wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Enjoy your hunts.

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Good for Iowa! Doves taste amazing.

from kbn1959 wrote 3 years 5 days ago

You're all just hunters for the blood of the kill for this small bird..

from stephenah85 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago