200-Pound Alligator Gar Sets Record For Texas' Trinity River

Field Notes

May 17, 2011

200-Pound Alligator Gar Sets Record For Texas' Trinity River

By Chad Love

A massive 200-pound alligator gar from Texas' Trinity River is a new rod-and-reel record.

From this story on khou.com:
A Cleveland man set the rod-and-reel alligator gar record for Trinity River when he caught a 7-foot, 9-inch fish in April. Joseph Williams said when he set out to go fishing in the river below Lake Livingston dam on April 14, he was prepared to catch the biggest freshwater fish in Texas.

"I was out for a big fish," Williams said. "I caught several and lost several that day. I had some that I couldn’t turn that broke off. I think they were bigger than the one I caught—I have sure seen bigger." He eventually hooked an alligator gar, one so big it had to be weighed at a truck stop, where it was officially recorded as an even 200 pounds. "We did weigh the fish on uncertified scales we know to be reliable that showed it to be 230 pounds," Williams said, "but the truck stop scales only read in 50-pound increments, so that was the weight we had to use for the record." Williams said he hoped to release the fish alive and capture the state catch-and-release record for alligator gar, but it could not be revived when put back into the water. Regardless, it’s now the rod-and-reel record for the Trinity.

from wisc14 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

awesome to see these fish making a comeback. i believe they were killed off in many parts of the country

from rugerlady wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Awesome fish!!! And, kudos for the attempted catch-release. Sometimes they just get so worn out from the fight, there is nothing you can do, regardless of your good intentions. (And, I admit, I'm jealous!!)

from jbird wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Awesome fish! Would like to hear the story.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

very nice! an ancient fish.

from GarHunter wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Lmao! There's a big "TEXAS TALE"! Look at the guys blue gloves. The gloves indicate the spread of his arms holding the fish. The left pictured arm is close to the body. Now move your hands that far apart. That's about 3 feet. The guy is holding the fish near the dorsal and anal fin which is right next to the tail. That fish is NO LONGER than 4.5 feet and 200lbs...the guy doesn't even weigh more than 170. What a joke!

from wisc14 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from rugerlady wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Awesome fish! Would like to hear the story.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

very nice! an ancient fish.

from GarHunter wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago