Video: Master Bladesmith Bob Kramer vs. Coke Can

Field Notes

May 25, 2011

Video: Master Bladesmith Bob Kramer vs. Coke Can

By David Maccar

Thanks to the folks at Popular Science for this video that will appeal to my fellow knife nuts. Check out their original post here.

This is master bladesmith Bob Kramer, whose chef's knives sell for over $10,000 each, or more. They are so saught after and beloved by chefs, there's a lottery to win a spot on the years-long waiting list just to shell out those ten Gs.

But...for the rest of us...Kramer announced a new partnership this months with Zwilling J.A. Henckels and has just put a line of Kramer-designed knives into production, made from the same high-carbon and chromium 52100 tool steel as the basic line of their handmade counterparts with a Rockwell score of 60. They will sell for about $300.

Check out the video below for an explanation as to why Kramer's knives have such a keen edge and you'll see some impressive water bottle and Coke can beheadings as well.

from jbird wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

That is a heckuva sharp knife. I don't know about $10,000 sharp, but very sharp none the less.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I've sharpened a knife enough to do the paper thing, but not any of that other stuff. My wife is going to be mad at the mess I'm about to make trying that.

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Well you gave the DiamondBlade away today...maybe one of these could be the prize in your next contest.

from Redneck Rockstar wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

So apparently my substandard living as a helicopter mechanic in the military has been wasted. The correct career choice was master bladesmith so that I could craft 10,000 dollar knives... or even chef, then I could afford a $10,000 knife. Cripes, I don't even think my truck is worth ten grand!

from copperivet wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

@Proverbs: "more useful"? Useful to who, a cook or a hunter? A skinning knife could not be more *useless* to me, no matter how pretty and sharp and reasonably priced. It's kind of like seeing an expensive hand crafted ball-peen hammer, and commenting "you can get a hammer just as strong for half the price" and linking to site selling roofing hammers. It's a complete non-sequitur.

Also, the crazy sharp knife in the video IS a $300 knife, which should be clear if you either read the article or watched the video.

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Copperivet: This blog is in a forum devoted to hunting and fishing. I think you can figure out who the intended audience is.

from copperivet wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Presumably, the intended audience is hunters and fishers who enjoying cooking and eating the animals they shoot/catch, and would appreciate a really sharp chefs knife for $300.

from Redneck Rockstar wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago