Debunked: Record 24lb Largemouth Photo a Hoax, Tribute to Late Ryan Dunn

Field Notes

June 22, 2011

Debunked: Record 24lb Largemouth Photo a Hoax, Tribute to Late Ryan Dunn

By David Rose

Rarely do I judge a fish by a picture. I’ve seen some of truly enormous proportions look average sized after the shutter snaps, as well a few modest fish looking massive. So, I just had to delve.

In short, what I found out after nine hours of e-mails, private messaging on Facebook and phone calls was that it was all a prank pulled by Joshua Hand, a young man from Argo, Alabama. And by the way, that’s not even Hand in the photo. It’s actually a photo of fishing guide James Caldemeyer and a big bass about 10 pounds lighter than 24, out of Lake Fork, Texas that Hand pulled from the Internet. Hand went as far as to post it as his profile photo on Facebook.

What got the hoax moving was a short airing on the WBRC Fox 6’s Monday evening news out of Birmingham, Alabama. “During slow news days we ask our viewers to send us photos of their fishing and hunting trophies, and right away the photo and claim from Hand was e-mailed to us,” said Fox 6 employee Brian Pope. Pope admits he and other staff members that first saw the photo are not avid anglers; they knew it was a big fish, but then again so are others like big catfish and gar that often are e-mailed to them. They didn’t realize a 24-pound largemouth would be a world record. And so it was aired.

Since Wednesday morning, after Hand accepted my friend request on Facebook, I discovered the motivation behind his midleading photo via a posting on his wall: “That prank was for you Ryan Dunn.....R.I.P.” (In case you didn’t hear, Dunn, one of the stars of the MTV show “Jackass” and the Jackass movies, died in a fiery car crash early Monday morning.)

They say imitation is the best form of flattery, but I'm not sure this prank is Jackass-worthy.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Rest in peace, Ryan.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

from IceClash wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

I am sick or hearing about Ryan Dunn, Betty Fox, a true Canadian hero who continued Terr's Legacy died and I see no RIP Betty Fox.

from TDC wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Tribute to a person who was operating a motor vechile while being intoxicated at twice the legal limit seems like the real hoax here.

from Siletz Angler wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

@TDC the toxicology reports haven't come back yet, and they won't for a few weeks from what I understand. Wherever you got you're information from it's false. Great job trashin on a dead man with your bull.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from TDC wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

@Siletz Angler
A toxicology report shows that "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn had a blood-alcohol content that was more than twice the legal limit for drivers in Pennsylvania when he and a passenger died in a fiery one-car crash this week.

The report says Dunn's blood-alcohol level was 0.196 at the time of the crash early Monday morning. The report was released Wednesday by West Goshen Township Police.

The legal limit for drivers in the state is .08.

Police say Dunn may have been going as fast as 140 mph when his Porsche veered off the roadway, went airborne and crashed into the woods in a Philadelphia suburb.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/22/police-jackass-stars-blo...

from Siletz Angler wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

@TDC I was going to list a plethora of articles refuting fox but the F&S spam filter won't let me. Just google "Ryan Dunn Autopsy" and the every story on the first page says the same thing "autopsy to be released in 4-6 weeks"

Odd that fox news doesn't site it's source of the toxicology report, seems like that would be a hot story seeing as how all these other sites apparently have it wrong.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from stick500 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

I think the confusion here is that a full toxicology report (ie. cocaine, heroin, prescriptions, etc.) takes 4-6 weeks, but a blood alcohol level (BAL) is relatively quick and easy to get, even from a dead person

it appears Dunn was as drunk as skunk- glad I wasn't on the road that night

from jamesti wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

a blood alchohol test can be concluded in a matter of hours or less. many police departments give DUI suspects a choice of breath or blood when they are taken in. any way, back to the fish. they probably knew it wouldn't take long to find out about the hoax.

from Tony Berg wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Is it just me, or is it scary that these jackass guys have not only become rich and famous, but have people doing tributes for a drunken driver who endangered everyone on the road that day. And for what, last I knew they had no talent, no skills, no work ethic, or no education. They are idolized for being complete losers and douche bags. Way to go, what a country we live in.

from Jimmy Vickers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep

from Jimmy Vickers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep

from Jimmy Vickers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

REST IN PEACE,BETTY FOX

from suzettech wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

That's a big catch, WOW, I am impressed. Thanks for sharing, RIP.
Vacation tips - http://rent-holidayvilla.com/

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Rest in peace, Ryan.

from TDC wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from TDC wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

@Siletz Angler

The legal limit for drivers in the state is .08.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

from IceClash wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from stick500 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

it appears Dunn was as drunk as skunk- glad I wasn't on the road that night

from jamesti wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Tony Berg wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Jimmy Vickers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep

from Jimmy Vickers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep,Yep

from Jimmy Vickers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

REST IN PEACE,BETTY FOX

from suzettech wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

That's a big catch, WOW, I am impressed. Thanks for sharing, RIP.
Vacation tips - http://rent-holidayvilla.com/