Miami Bankers Haul In 1,000-Pound Mako

Field Notes

June 23, 2011

Miami Bankers Haul In 1,000-Pound Mako

By Chad Love

What is it with white-collar dudes and massive man-eating beasts this week? First it was the Dallas attorney who shot a monster 14-foot gator. Now, a group of Miami bankers taking part in a fishing tournament have hauled in a giant thousand-pound mako shark.

From this story on wptv.com:
A group of Miami bankers has quite the shark tale to tell after reeling in a one-thousand-pound, twelve foot, mako shark 16 miles off of Elliot Key. ''I don't have to watch Jaws any more, I lived it," said Oscar Fernandez. The Ocean Bank team he was on was participating in an FIU alumni fishing tournament. They were out scouting schools of mahi-mahi, but instead saw a dorsal fin in the distance. That's when the cat and mouse game began. First they worked to hook the giant predator. Then they watch in awe as it jumped out of the water about 10 feet. It would take seven men more than four hours to reel it in. Boat captain John Dudas has been fishing for more than 30 years. He called it a fish of a lifetime.

What's next, economics professors noddling up giant flatheads? Anyone care to make a prediction which white-collar profession will catch or kill which beast next?

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

Yikes, I wouldn't have brought that thing on the boat....I'll stick to trout and striped bass, they wont try and eat me.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

It must be legal to take mako sharks? I wonder how they taste and if it even worth keeping them.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

they have the money to get all the best gear and guides. we take what we can get. edge goes to the white colllar folks.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Mako tastes great-almost tastes like swordfish,used to catch one once in a while when fishing offshore in N.C. the gulf stream is real close to shore there-(Outer Banks)

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

"edge goes to the white colllar folks."

Last summer, all the guys who spend their summers trolling for muskies at the nearby reservoir (West Branch)with their boats that cost as much as my house-had to just shake their heads when I caught my 51" muskie from my 1964 Lonestar boat,with a 1963 Johnson outboard.

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

"edge goes to the white colllar folks."