Aussie Guide Baits 18-foot Croc For Tour...Yes, The Photo is Real

Field Notes

July 13, 2011

Aussie Guide Baits 18-foot Croc For Tour...Yes, The Photo is Real

By Chad Love

A jaw-dropping picture of an Australian saltwater crocodile leaping from the water is apparently real, but is raising some questions about tour guide behavior on Australian rivers.

From this story on ninemsn.com:
Concerned observers said the image of the 5.5m saltie, named Brutus, attacking a slab of meat demonstrates a worrying trend among some operators who want to give tourists a closer experience with nature. The photograph, taken by NT News staffer Katrina Bridgeford, first appeared on the front page of the paper under the headline "Yes, it's real". Despite the claim, there were questions around its legitimacy and whether it had been doctored electronically. But the newspaper insists the photograph is genuine. Tour operator Tony Blums, owner of the Jumping Crocodile Cruises on the Adelaide River, said the leaping crocodile stunt was staged in a way that was irresponsible and risked lives.

"What they are doing is quite dangerous," he told ninemsn. "They are very gung-ho. The croc is far too big for the size of the boat they are approaching it with. "It is disturbing. A croc that size can fully flick itself up onto the boat from there, and that would cause some panic."

Brutus, believed to be an 80-year-old crocodile who lost his front leg in a shark attack, is one of the dominant males in the waters of the Adelaide River. And Mr Blums claimed it would have been safer for the guide to have used a longer pole to keep the monster creature further from the boat.

"You don't play with big crocs. They are big, strong and dangerous," he said. "If they get it wrong, it will go wrong terribly."

But the company which arranged the tour, Adelaide River Cruises, defended its safety record, saying they are focused on providing a unique experience for their guests.

Foolhardy stunt or exhilarating communion with nature? Would you choose to get so close to Brutus?

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Ya know, it's fascinating having a big pet. Most days I'd go to feed the bulls and I got into being close to them, so I'd feed them by hand so they would be more comfortable around me. I soon learned that they would get testy and mean when I would be around and I would not feed them......which led me to change my behavior around them for fear of my own safety, and that of others who did not show up with a treat for them every time someone was around them. I see this as being the case here as well, once the expectation of food or treats is established, it sets the bar for anyone else, regardless of intent, it creates a potentially serious problem.

from luke_striegel wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

You are absolutely correct Koldkut. The people that choose to go on this cruise are aware of the dangers. It will be a learned behavior for this Croc, and it will bring him close to all boats looking for a snack. Some fisherman is going to get a surprise from Brutus!!

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Holy Jurassic Marine Reptile, Batman!!!

from MJC wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Why on earth would you mess with a predator that big? You could drop that beast in among the dinosaurs and none them would think it didn't belong there. If people want to get close they can use a zoom lens.

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Like Koldkut says, they are going to run out of "bait" and that thing is just gonna pluck someone off the boat one day. Yikes!

from dukkillr wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Shame Steve Irwin's out of the picture. Love to see him tackle that big boy.

from jbird wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

It may be irresponsible, but I have to admit, I would LOVE to see it from the boat.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

One of these days that croc will get sick of the meat and grab a passenger instead!

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I would pay to see that at a good distance.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..."

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

what have they been feeding him i feel like chickens would just be a tease to this big guy.

from Hassan Abdul-Wahid wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

There's no way in hell I'd pay money to go out on a small, crowded boat, and bait something that big. One day he's going to figure out that knocking the boat over will ensure him a better and bigger meal.

from Brian W. Thair wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

As a really juvenile exercise in conditioning, it certainly worked well! Soft on the outside and crunchy in the middle. Yes, indeed!

from whitetailredneck wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

id love to have the opportunity to hunt a beast like that

from RJ Arena wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Stupid and foolish. I have lived in Florida off and on for over 20 years and have a healthy respect for big gators, and I would never participate in an event like this. For those who do not live among big reptiles, would you go to Yellowstone and try to pole feed a 900lb grizzly or a 1200 lb Alaskan brown? I think not. You all would say how crazy and risky that is. So why would anyone who knows better do this with a 18ft croc?

from jamesti wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

what a bunch of idiots!

from GMonson wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

So when will the Aussie government pass a law against this behavior, like the law against standing on stranded whale while it is being attacked by sharks?

from shane wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

If you thought the photo was faked, well, don't go to Australia or Africa. Horrific surprised await.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I'd visit Australia. I just wouldn't go on one of those crowded croc-food tour boats. Darwin Awards waiting to happen there.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

See, the thing is, that croc is not entirely stupid, and some day he's gonna grab someone who's reaching out over that rail, with some sideways jerk of his head, and the last sight of that person is gonna be them locked in a big mouth and being dragged under. No one's gonna find a body.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..."

from luke_striegel wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Holy Jurassic Marine Reptile, Batman!!!

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Shame Steve Irwin's out of the picture. Love to see him tackle that big boy.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

what a bunch of idiots!

from jbird wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Hassan Abdul-Wahid wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from GMonson wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from MJC wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I would pay to see that at a good distance.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago