Difficult Cleanup Continues After Yellowstone River Oil Spill

Field Notes

July 07, 2011

Difficult Cleanup Continues After Yellowstone River Oil Spill

By Chad Love

Workers in Montana are still struggling to clean up after a ruptured oil pipeline dumped thousands of gallons of oil in to the Yellowstone river. Meanwhile, local residents are becoming frustrated at the lack of communications from officials.

From this story in USA Today:
Residents along portions of the oil-contaminated Yellowstone River are expressing frustration over the lack of information flowing from ExxonMobil, state and federal officials following last weekend's pipeline burst. An ExxonMobil pipeline that runs under the Yellowstone River near Laurel, Mont. ruptured near midnight Friday and leaked hundreds of barrels of oil into the river, contaminating riverbanks and flooding fields for miles. Montana Democratic Gov. Brian Schweitzer estimates that the contamination may have spread more than 270 miles downstream into North Dakota.

North Dakota Water Quality Director Dennis Fewless said that he's been in contact with Montana officials and the Environmental Protection Agency. He says officials are taking water samples in the Williston area as a precaution. Company and federal officials said they have only seen oil about 25 miles downstream from the site of the break near Laurel.

Meanwhile, affected landowners are wondering what the short- and long-term effects of the contamination could mean for their families, livestock and wildlife along the river corridor.

Thoughts? Reaction?

from MJC wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

The sooner we get off oil, the better.

from jay wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

Lets hope Exxon has a better response than that pathetic attempt when that drunk Valdez captain ran aground and dumped a freighter full of crude into prince william sound.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Pipelines are the safest method of transporting oil, but not infalible. From the sounds of things it's not that bad, but ya, I'm with MJC, the sooner and less equals better.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I had read the other day that Exxon was sorry and would help where they could. To me they need to foot the bill for all clean up and future claims.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

i had a girlfriend that lived in laurel when i was a kid and fished that area all the time. wonder who exxon is gonna blame for this one.

from Deepwoods wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Sounds like another good excuse to tack on a few more cents to the already over priced gallon of gas. You and I can pay for the clean up the next time we fill up our tanks!

from shane wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Exxon is the most profitable company in the world. They pull in 5 million every hour.

$5,000,000/hour.

So what's the problem?

from tbonzzz wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

maybe they should hire locals on unemployment to clean it up

from Hoski wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Maybe we can up the subsidies going into spill clean up...they haven't gotten past the paper towel stage.

from jrok6661 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I am no supporter of big oil. I think its kinda silly that we still use so much of it. I just want to point out that this article is inaccurate. I have an inside source that said that just about 1000 barrels spilled. Not Thousands or even hundreds. I would just ask that the authors check the facts, or else it takes away from the importance of such disasters.

from Topper wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

My family has not bought one nickle's worth of Exxon products since the Valdez disaster. Who is supporting these maniacs?

from MJC wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

The sooner we get off oil, the better.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago