Video: Tarpon Catches Kid

Field Notes

July 12, 2011

Video: Tarpon Catches Kid

By Chad Love

Ahh, the time-honored but somewhat dubious tourist tradition of hand-feeding the fat, lazy, half-tame dockside tarpon. I vividly recall watching these torpedo-sized panhandlers cruising alongside a floating restaurant in Islamorada and wondering what it would be like to catch one (I'm still wondering). But the kid in this video now knows what it's like for a tarpon to catch him...

From this story on the Huffington Post:
We were down feeding the giant tarpon from the docks. The tarpon were extremely aggressive this day and jumping up trying to grab the dangling fish. This kid was using his jacket to cover his hand to try to prevent the tarpon from scraping up his hand. (Tarpon have very abrasive inner mouths that will leave your hands bleeding). This kid dangles the fish and the tarpon jumps up to grab it, but also grabs his jacket. The kid has super fast reflexes and grabs his jacket. It was cool to watch!

Anyone ever "be one with the tarpon" like this?

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

That restaurant wouldn't be the Islamorada Fish Co., would it? I had such a hard time taking my eyes off the mounts that I barely noticed the fish, until they came out of the kitchen to toss the scraps to the fish and the water just exploded. Very cool place.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Is it Harry's maybe at m.m. 78 i think, right by the bridge? People pay to go out on the dock and feed the tarpon. We chose not to but watched from shore for free. They are some beggars, the tarpon, at every marina it seems looking for handouts. neat to see though. This one almost got a jacket instead of a free lunch, which could've proved hard to swallow.

from 45acp wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

thats robbies marina

from smallgamehunter25 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Ah, this has happened to me many a time... with my cat.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

very lucky.

from 45acp wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

thats robbies marina

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

very lucky.

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from smallgamehunter25 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Ah, this has happened to me many a time... with my cat.