Canadian Caribou Season Postponed Indefinitely

Field Notes

August 02, 2011

Canadian Caribou Season Postponed Indefinitely

By Chad Love

If you had a caribou hunt in Labrador, Canada booked this fall, you might want to call your outfitter about getting a refund...

From this story on thetelegram.com:

The provincial Department of Environment and Conservation is postponing the opening of the caribou hunting season in Labrador, with no date for when hunting caribou might be allowed again. The season was scheduled to begin Aug. 10. According to a statement issued by the department, the stability of the George River caribou herd is in question and has led to the change of plans.

“Ongoing research and monitoring efforts by the provincial government and its partners since the 2010 census suggest that a further population decline is occurring, despite major restrictions on harvesting that were implemented last fall,” stated a government news release. In 2001, the herd’s size was estimated to be 385,000 animals. A census in July 2010 estimated the herd size had dropped to 74,000 animals.

from jbird wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

That is a heck of a drop. Did the department have any theories as to why?

from jay wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

A google search for "canadian caribou decline" reveals quite a few articles. I read this one: http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/nd07/indepth/decline.asp

That's too bad; I had always planned on a boo hunt in my lifetime. Looks like I may miss my chance.

from elkslayer wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

the article I read on the population decline mentions that caribou populations undergo significant drops every couple decades, the herds peaked ten years ago and we are apparently in a natural decline.

from huntinhuntinhuntin wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I would like to know why the herds fluctuate so much. It seems interesting.

from turkeycreek91 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

that many that quick that dont seem right

from jamesti wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

that's a big difference. i think someone sh*t the bed on this whole study.

from Proverbs wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

This was news to my family in Canada. Several uncles think something is fishy - as in stinky politics. Such late notification reeks.

Caribou hunting in Quebec has been a gamble for several years now. This is due "native" guide services who were given exclusive rights by the Quebec politicians (who are in a defunct class by themseves) and who failed to perform in several ways, including dropping pre-paid hunts with no refunds, no explanation. The province of Quebec seemed to ignore the claims from hunters trying to get help.

I sure hope Labrador isn't going the way of Quebec. It sure stinks when politics gets in the way of enjoying our hunting heritage, something my family in Canada wishes they had fought to preserve more than they did. (They all thought it couldn't happen to them.)

from jamesti wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

that's a big difference. i think someone sh*t the bed on this whole study.

from jbird wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

That is a heck of a drop. Did the department have any theories as to why?

from jay wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from huntinhuntinhuntin wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I would like to know why the herds fluctuate so much. It seems interesting.

from turkeycreek91 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago