Chef Ludo Lefebvre Tags Colorado Buffalo, Eats Animal's Still-Warm Heart

Field Notes

August 15, 2011

Chef Ludo Lefebvre Tags Colorado Buffalo, Eats Animal's Still-Warm Heart

By Chad Love

Here's a man who brings new meaning to the phrase "be still my beating heart"...

From this story on the Huffington Post:

Television chefs always seem to be pushing the limits, but chef Ludo Lefebvre really takes the cake, or heart, rather, this time. This week on his hit cooking show “Ludo Bites America,” chef Ludo visits Denver on the hunt for the ultimate Rocky Mountain dining experience. Ludo begins with Denver’s legendary Biker Jim’s Gourmet Hot Dogs and is so inspired by Biker Jim’s reinventing of the bread and sausage dish that he wants to take it a step further -- by creating a high-end menu of wild game meats, starting with the Colo. buffalo. Out in the plains, Ludo goes buffalo hunting, shoots one himself and eats its still warm heart while the buffalo carcass hangs next to him. It’s extreme, but it’s also Ludo paying his respects to the Native American cultures that used to do the same as a way to honor the slain beast.

Two thoughts. One, I think we need to get Monsieur Draper, our resident Wild Chef to whip us up a recipe for warm, raw bison heart (should be fairly simple, right?). Two, I'm all for honoring the kill and all, but unless Chef Ludo rode alongside the bison on a pony and killed it with arrows from a hand-made selfbow, methinks his eating of said heart has less to do with honoring the kill than it does with good television...

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

When an Indian killed a buffalo it meant he and his family will live to see another day so showing respect is warranted. Killing a buffalo then eating the heart for ratings does not even come close.

from Arlo269 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Lady GaGa of the Cooking World!!!

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Whatched a friend of mine do that to a deer he shot...i didnt join him.

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Disrespectful to the animal in my eyes.

from Kenc7971 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I've eatin the heart of a deer many times, though not raw, as well as the liver and kidneys. Very healthy with lots of nutrition. The majority of people in America, including celebrities and even most hunters, are far removed from traditional values for celebrating a wild animal's spirit after the kill. A celebration of the harvest, food to nourish the soul and body, and to bring about good health. The Native Americans knew this and practiced this religiously and never took any animal without paying respect, for it was that animal that kept them alive. Since we as modern Americans don't have to worry about starvation, we are more conditioned to put more emphasis on the non-edible portions, like antlers.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I eat elk heart, but it's seen batter, butter and a grill first. My guess is buffalo would taste pretty good that way, and off camera.

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Nothing like paying homage to the god "Nielsen" after a great kill while out bison "hunting" on the vast plains of a game farm.

What. A. Jackass.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Sage Sam I couldn't have said it better.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

did he have a tag for it? wither way, ludo is an as*!

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I have never eaten the heart raw before, but for my first deer and elk I did partake in eating the raw liver as is tradition in my family. My wife also got to partake in eating deer liver for her first deer that she shot with me on a hunt in central Montana.

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Oh and a lot of my indian friends that I hunt with eat the liver raw everytime as they say it is the best tasting when it is raw. It has nothing to do with disrespecting the animal, if you like the taste that is. If you are doing it for tv rating it is for the wrong reason, if it is to try it for the first time or because you like it then it is fine. Utilizing what we shoot is a good practice for all.

from j-johnson17 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Is this really the image we want to portray as hunters this day in age? I mean really, come on...

from blackjac wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

This "chef" is doing a copy cat of the tv show on the discovery channel--"Bizzare Foods" with Andrew Zimmerman.This whole show looked staged, including the "Buff" which was most likely in a fenced area. I'd imagine the Indain Chef" will make PETA's poster boy of the month!!! I aware of the tradition, it's usually done with an air of respect, this fool made a mockery of the tradition.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

What. A. Jackass.

from Kenc7971 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Sage Sam I couldn't have said it better.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

did he have a tag for it? wither way, ludo is an as*!

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from Arlo269 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Lady GaGa of the Cooking World!!!

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Whatched a friend of mine do that to a deer he shot...i didnt join him.

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Disrespectful to the animal in my eyes.

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago