China: The New Adventure Hunting Hot Spot?

Field Notes

August 09, 2011

China: The New Adventure Hunting Hot Spot?

By Chad Love

Is China the next hot destination for American adventure hunters? Maybe, according to this article on Chinadaily.com:

China could reopen its doors to international hunters after an expert team approved several applications by United States citizens to shoot blue sheep and Tibetan gazelle in Qinghai province. The country's top wildlife management authority will take that decision into account when they debate lifting the ban on foreign hunters.

The State Forestry Administration is expected to reply to the applicants within 20 working days, said Bi Yanying, an associate professor of law at the Beijing-based University of International Relations. Bi was among the 12 experts who gave their approval on Friday. Permits for overseas hunters have not been issued since 2006 due to public pressure. By the end of 2005, the industry had brought in more than $36 million from 1,101 foreign citizens, who captured 1,300 "trophies" on the Chinese mainland, according to official statistics.

According to the story, China's wildlife protection law prohibits hunting animals under national protection unless it is for a "special purpose" such as research, education or exhibition. But that didn't stop some 130 foreign hunters between 2002 and 2006 from shelling out $7,900 to hunt blue sheep and $1,500 for a Tibetan gazelle, although the story says those prices are sure to rise.

So what do you think? Would you pay to hunt China, or would you stick with a more traditional exotic hunt?

from huntinhuntinhuntin wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

It's a crock. If your looking for adventure, go to Africa...or New Zealand. Better yet, stay in the U.S. The lower 48 and Alaska. No need for China.

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

To be honest, going to China for any reason is a little sketchy in my book, especially with a gun. Too much unknown about what really goes on in there. I'm sure it would be fine, but it make me nervous enough to explore other options.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I have been to China. You couldn't pay me to go back.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Being a conservationist as well as a hunter I don't have enough faith in the Chinese authorities to allow harvest in a sustainable manner.

I spent a year in China back in the early 90s over by the Burma border. They are crazy over eating weird things like owls and what not. They were shipping out logs so big it took a truck to carry one, 24/7. I like the Chinese people but they take some getting used to. Beautiful mountains and rivers.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

nope i would like to hunt in exotic places china just isn't one of them especially for that price, i could see if it was cheep like everything else they sell us.

from shane wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Fuhgeddaboudit. No way no how. I might change my tune as far as fishing goes, but I am in now way interested.

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Shane:
If you have the money fish thailand instead I know some great freshwater and sea fishing areas.

from calapp wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

NEVER. The ba****ds would kill the last unicorn! Among many other things they are responsible for the rape of the Asian and African rain-forests. Where do you think all that tropical hardwood goes?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I have been to China. You couldn't pay me to go back.

from huntinhuntinhuntin wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago