Family of Man Killed by Mountain Goat Sues Olympic National Park

Field Notes

August 15, 2011

Family of Man Killed by Mountain Goat Sues Olympic National Park

By Chad Love

The family of a man who was gored to death last October by a mountain goat in Olympic National Park has filed a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit.

From this story in the Seattle Times:
The incident took place on Oct. 16 when Bob Boardman, 63, was hiking at Klahhane Ridge in the park, along with his wife, Susan Chadd and a friend, Pat Willis. According to an incident report filed by Colin Smith, the park's chief ranger, "the goat approached Boardman's party while they were sitting and having lunch. They did not approach the goat; instead when it came up to them they attempted to leave the area.
"The goat then followed alongside or behind Boardman for approximately ≤ to 1 mile until the fatal encounter. ... There is no evidence Boardman committed any acts of aggression towards the goat. ... The goat gored Boardman with its left horn. ..."The wound severed an artery, which caused rapid blood loss and was fatal. The goat then stood over or near Boardman for at least 30 minutes after the goring, keeping any rescuers from reaching Boardman. It is likely that Boardman died within five minutes of being gored."

Rangers shot and killed the goat that afternoon. "...Messina (plaintiff's attorney) said the National Park Service had received complaints about the goat for four years and should have known it was a danger.

Thoughts?

from ckRich wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

It's an unfortunate story, to say the least. But nature doesn't come with a safety rail, it's common knowledge that it can be flat out dangerous. Some people need to learn how to accept responsibility, you can't have someone holding your hand all of your life.

from Arlo269 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Refreakindiculous!!! I know they are in some pain but come on. If they lose, which they probaly won't due to the legal system, do you think they will sue God???

from ggmack wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

so they were supposed to identify a single goat in the entire wildlife area. good luck with that.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

It is a tragedy but money will not bring him back. But hey, somebody might as well try to get rich from it.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from johntalbott wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

The park does not allow hunting. IF what the lawyer maintains is correct, the family might have a reasonable suit. This was not just a random act by a wild creature, the goat likely lost its natural fear of humans; and as the lawyer stated (if true) that the park received numerous reports of aggressive behavior by the goat. The park has a duty to protect hikers from animals who pose a known, repetative threat. The case is full of "IFs", but if it was my father or brother and the park knew of an aggressive goat and did nothing to curtail the animal or warn parkgoers of its aggression, they should be held liable. The same standard obviously would not apply to a fully wild animal or an animal where no threat was known.

from jdwood wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Its a wild animal in a wild place, thats just ridiculous, I'm sorry for the family's loss but lets be serious. Everybody is always looking for the next McDonald's lawsuit, I'm sorry but you can't slap a warning label on a goat.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Truly rediculous, money won't bring him back.

Unfortunately there is now a dangerous precedent, remember the family who sued the Forest Service in Utah because their son was killed by a bear. They won and were awarded some 3 million for it because the FS alledgedely knew about the bear. I guaruntee that case will be cited by the plaintiff attorney.

from Fruguy101 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

The only thing I can't understand is why they didn't try to run the dang thing off. This just proves that almost everybody who lives on the west coast is stupid. I feel for the family's loss, but come on, 'My husband got killed by a wild animal, somebody's gonna pay for that.' is just another scientific example of cosmic dumbassery.(my thanks to whoever wrote that in a F&S blog a while back, the name escapes me.)

from Elmer Fudd wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I get very uncomfortable with the idea of being unarmed in an area that has dangerous wildlife.

Me, I'm armed or I'm not there. Exception: hiking with my wife in ridiculously safe areas that prohibit guns.

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

You can't sue Anheiser-Busch because you got hit by a drunk driver!
Call me crazy but I don't think it works quite like one of these mountain goats is dangerous in the park.....ummmm I think its the white one with black horns, lets kill it. Sh*t happens people.
I don't understand the logic behind blaming or going after the park. We should file a lawsuit against Alaska because people get attacked by bears.....Any moron with half a brain would toss this case!

from CAT22 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Me and a bunch of my friends keep walking into this guys house. We wander thru his living room & bedroom even, but we are starting to get concerned. He is getting very angry with us. So we have contacted the proper authorities to let them know about his viscious behavior. We all hope we can get this resolved very soon because we just love walking around this strangers house so much. I'd just hate to see one of us get hurt.

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Brings to mind a good question... If it were one of us and we felt threatened by the goat, could we get away with shooting it out of self defense? Can you imagine explaining that one to your hunting buddies? So there was this really aggressive goat...

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Fruguy, I believe the credit goes to Chad Love.

This is a tragic event, very isolated, unique, unpredictable and completely natural. We travel to such wild places to witness nature first hand. Mr. Boardman learned the hard way that nature is simply a cycle of death with no sympathy for the dead.

from basman wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

having an adequate caliber firearm with you and knowing how to use it..........priceless

from Oryx wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

This is a tough call. Shoot this goat, and you're in trouble, because goats don't kill people, right? I would probably have a hard time deciding when to go to "Condition Red" on this fellow, not being familiar with their habits.

Sounds like maybe a good dose of bear repellent spray might have been the ticket.

I would think this qualifies for a "freak accident" tag.

from HelloStrega wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I don't understand what the suit is about? Are they suing for having wild animals in the park? For not having medical attendants available within 5 minutes of wherever they were?

This is just as silly as suing the park for stubbing your toe on a rock and breaking your toe.

from hockey86 wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

These kinds of stories irritate me to no end. I wish people like this would stay at home where they belong. These kinds of lawsuits only screw the rest of us. They should create glass tunnels for these idiots to hike in. Kinda like they do at aquariums.

from labrador12 wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

If you can win this suit, then a man who is mugged in a city can sue the city for allowing the mugger to exist. Thaat would put a lot of big cities into bankruptcy overnite!!!

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

I think the law suit is uncalled for. I understand that when something bad happens the survivors want to find someone at fault for something so they can feel better. Its sad for the family. I would have to say thow when I leave this earth I hope Im in the wild and enjoying it when I go. However I wouldn't believe a goat would kill someone.

from Joe Derringer wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

how can you sue a park over a wild animal...that is not right and I bet it holds up which is ashame...

from phillymark wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

To the family who is suing the park: 1) if it's true that the park new of a goat that was aggressive, how would they identify said goat? 2)do you propose that all goats should have been euthanized so that people can't be hurt? 3)since there are no other known cases, anywhere in the US, of wild goats attacking humans, why would they think that an aggressive goat would attack? 4)aren't all wild goats aggressive if they feel you have invaded their territory? 5)why is the dead guy's life worth $10 million? (soldiers who die in war are only worth $250,000 dollars to their families) 6)using your logic, can the families of those goofs who ignored a sign in Yosemite to swim in a river that went over a waterfall, sue because the park KNEW that people ignore signs and therefore should have a ranger posted at every spot where danger lurks? 7)why did the wild goat kill your family member? What did that goat know that we don't know? Maybe God sent the goat to do his work. :D

from BuckAndBass wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

I'm not sure I'm right in saying this, but he should have been prepared. If locals were complaining about THAT goat in THAT area, you should have came prepared, or not went at all. Although, I do think that the ranger service should have done something about the goat.

from MHoffpauir wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I assume Olympic National Park is a "gun free" zone. Too bad he could defend himself. Sad story.

from Boonedog23 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Why is he charging the park with a wrongful death lawsuit, the park rangers cant tell a mountain goat "dont be an animal, or defend your territory!" He probally new about the danger of the goat but ignored it.

from krissygirl333 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Nature...crazy to try and get cash for that....dumb. Stay out of the woods.

from krissygirl333 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Nature...crazy to try and get cash for that....dumb. Stay out of the woods.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from jdwood wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Fruguy, I believe the credit goes to Chad Love.

from Arlo269 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

You can't sue Anheiser-Busch because you got hit by a drunk driver!

from Fruguy101 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from CAT22 wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Truly rediculous, money won't bring him back.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from basman wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from Oryx wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I would think this qualifies for a "freak accident" tag.

from hockey86 wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from labrador12 wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from johntalbott wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from HelloStrega wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from Joe Derringer wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from phillymark wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from BuckAndBass wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from MHoffpauir wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Boonedog23 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from krissygirl333 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Nature...crazy to try and get cash for that....dumb. Stay out of the woods.

from krissygirl333 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Nature...crazy to try and get cash for that....dumb. Stay out of the woods.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago