Updates on Pearl River Fish Kill + Photos & Video

Field Notes

August 26, 2011

Updates on Pearl River Fish Kill + Photos & Video

By Hal Herring

From Mississippi Sportsman:

A Louisiana paper mill admits discharge caused massive Pearl River fish kill "The company said it believes that an “exceedence” of discharge above the level for which it is permitted depleted the river’s dissolved oxygen levels, leading to the kill that began on Saturday..."

Note that one repeat commenter on this story still claims that the fish kill is due to "summertime heat" even after the mill has claimed responsibility.

DEQ OKs Temple-Inland's limited discharge plan

Pearl River fish kill testing and monitoring are scaled back

DEQ optimistic about the recovery of Pearl River

Concerns over fish kill's effect on endangered species

Pearl River Fish Kill Photo Gallery

from idduckhntr wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Well I have one coment they are a!@holes. All they care about is their money. I hope as sportsmen we can do something about this.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

I'm sure there is a lot of finger pointing that can be done here, but I wonder why the mill does not have to monitor their discharge in the first place? Why do they have to wait until a reporter comes knocking on their door days later and says hey there are millions of dead fish in the river wtf's going on?
I don't think it should be a surprise to anyone that this isn't mineral springs water, so if they are going to dump a "regulated amount" of it into a natural water system they should be responsible for checking for themselves that they are not violating the regulations. Sometimes I don't agree with just going around slapping out huge fines but this could be a good example of how a huge fine could change the practices of this and hopefully other mills so that they closely monitor their discharges.

from rdorman wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

my question is, if the chemical kills by sucking the air out of the water, why are turtles dying which don't have gills...

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago