Montana and Idaho Wolf Hunts to Continue in Fall

Field Notes

August 05, 2011

Montana and Idaho Wolf Hunts to Continue in Fall

By Chad Love

Montana and Idaho can continue with plans for fall wolf hunts after a federal judge refused to overturn the law allowing it.

From this story on wkzo.com:
A federal judge refused on Wednesday to overturn an unprecedented act of Congress that removed some 1,500 wolves in Montana and Idaho from the endangered species list. District Judge Donald Molloy sided against environmentalists who argued Congress exceeded its authority when it passed legislation in April to lift federal wolf protections, giving the two states largely unfettered control over the animals. The decision by Molloy allows Montana and Idaho to carry on with plans to open both states to extensive hunting of the iconic animals as a way of reducing their numbers to levels they see as better balanced with human interests. Wyoming on Wednesday also moved a step closer to joining Montana and Idaho in seeing its 300-plus wolves removed from Endangered Species Act safeguards.

"It looks like there will be a lot of wolf killing now," said Michael Garrity, director of WildEarth Guardians, a Montana-based conservation group. "If we do appeal the ruling, I hope we can get the case resolved in favor of wolves before the vast majority are killed in the Northern Rockies." Wolves have been at the center of a bitter debate since they were reintroduced to the region in the mid-1990s over the objections of ranchers and commercial outfitters, who said the animals prey on cattle and compete with hunters for elk.

Reaction?

from rock rat wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Malloy worded his decision in the most sour grapes possible. He can't over rule precedent and neither can the 9nth circuit court I'd think.

I doubt hunters will kill enough to reach desired numbers.

A victory for the elk and for hunters in any case.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Congrats to Idaho and Montana, and shame on wkzo.com for printing such biased 'news'.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Really?
I am not a wolf expert by any means, but I sincerely doubt that,"The vast majority"of wolves could ever be killed just by shooting.
Good news for Idaho and Montana and for the rest of the states that are infested with wolves. Goodluck to all of those who draw wolf tags.

from Cowiche Buddy wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I really think we should control the wolf populations, so I hope to see seasons open again. Maybe some day here in Washington we will have a wolf season...

from shane wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Last time they had a season they couldn't even meet quota, and quota was only a small fraction of the population. So I think this Garrity cat is full of lies.

from Bioguy01 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Just to give an idea on the impact of 1,500 wolves, 1 wolf needs about 2.5 lbs of meat/day to survive (that is the bare minimum just for survival...it's about 7lbs/wolf/day to reproduce successfully). Anyhow, 2.5lbs meat/wolf/day x 365 days x 1500 wolves = 1,368,750lbs of meat. That's a lot of prey! I think reduction efforts are completely justified :-)

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from jeffo52284 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

This garrity guy needs to get his facts straight. no one is proposing that we kill the vast majority, we just want a properly managed population and a balanced system. @NM its not a draw anyone can buy tags there is just a quota on how many can be killed in certain parts of the state

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I am so glad we get to hunt wolves in Montana Again, I can not wait to fill my tag.

from craftsman wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

To begin with, the wolfs were Canadian Grey Wolfs that they stuck in our states not the native Timber wolfs that were here. The Canadian is a killing machine compared to the native specie. The 300 plus figure he talks about is a scam some estimates in Idaho say we have around 2000 here now. I've had paw prints in my yard that could not be covered with the palm of my hand. Wolfs are a very hard animal to hunt they're very clever and learn very quickly to avoid humans. The forest service said a couple of years ago that near the Clearwater 60% of all new born elk were killed by the wolfs.

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

gonna have to pass that along to my uncle who lives out there

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I'm all about conservation, but part of that is smart management of animal population. An expolsion of wolves, or any A pex preditor, causes other problems in elk and deer population. I love seeing the wolves, but at the same time they have to have a population management also. Plus the non hunting environmentalist can look at this as a big victory too. Ten years ago, the wolve population was no were near huntable levels. But we know they won't.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Really?

from shane wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I doubt hunters will kill enough to reach desired numbers.

A victory for the elk and for hunters in any case.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago