You Can Rent Anything These Days, Even a Goat

Field Notes

August 24, 2011

You Can Rent Anything These Days, Even a Goat

By Chad Love

A few weeks back there was a lively discussion on the Man's Best Friend blog about the ethics of leasing a bird dog with the consensus among most being that no, you wouldn't and don’t much care for the idea.

But what about a goat or llama? Heck, according to this Craigslist ad you can even sign up for a goat "rent to own" program...

Trained Packgoats and Llamas for rent. Horned goats and non-horned goats to choose from. $25 per goat per day for goats, $50 per day for llamas, includes saddle and panniers for each goat and llama. They are great for hunting, backpacking, meat packing, etc. Easy going animals, friendly, and a joy to be around. If you have a shell on your pickup you can easily transport them in the back, or I have several small trailers you can rent for a small additional fee.

If you know you will use them a lot this season, ask me about my Goat and Llama Ownership Sharing Program that will enable you to use the goats more frequently for even less money out of your pocket. Great for backpacking, Boy Scout trips, hunting, etc. I also am thinning down my herd a bit, so I have several trained goats and llamas for sale.

So say you've got a backcountry elk hunt planned, but you're not an outfitter and you don't own any pack animals of your own. So you rent a goat or a llama for the duration of your hunt. So the question is, is that any different than leasing a bird dog? And if yes, how so? Thoughts?

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

The next time you're hunting in the Andes, these should work out really well.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

There's something very hippy-ish about using llama's and goats, I personally don't think I could bring my self to do it.

I don't see anything unethical about it, but I think you should have to leave your man-card with the renter as collateral.

Just pack it out yourself, or use a mule or two.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

I've seen hunters using llamas once in a while in Wyoming. I have to say though that $25 a day for a goat seems pricey.

from shane wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

If a llana can carry as much as a mule, then mules are fired. Biggest advantage to a llama? Not a mule. Infernal creatures...

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

When I go to Lowes, people are looking at mowers.

Goat on a rope is the best mower around, I tell them!

from Pacific Hunter wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

NEVER take a goat into sheep country, they carry pneumonia the same as domestic sheep and have been blamed for a few major disease outbreaks that killed a good portion of the populations. There is discussion on outlawing their use on public ground where wild sheep are present

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

The next time you're hunting in the Andes, these should work out really well.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Just pack it out yourself, or use a mule or two.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

When I go to Lowes, people are looking at mowers.

Goat on a rope is the best mower around, I tell them!

from Pacific Hunter wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago