Alabama Angler Finds New Giant Gator

Field Notes

September 13, 2011

Alabama Angler Finds New Giant Gator

By Chad Love

'Tis the season, apparently, for giant Alabama reptiles. First, Alabama got a new state record gator now comes word of another large alligator, this time from Lake Eufaula.

From this story on myfoxal.com:

It is all the buzz around the Valley: a local man pulls a massive alligator from the waters of Lake Eufaula, and it was his first time gator hunting! News Leader Nine spoke with Zach Moore about his first big catch, and what the people of Eufaula think of this monster swimming in their waters. "We shot him one time and he came up on the bank and he was standing up and that's when I realized how big he was, and it knocked my socks off because I didn't believe he was that big," said Moore.

Moore and his father wrangled with the 12 feet long gator for about 9 hours on the first day of Alligator Season. Moore explains they had to use a bow and arrow to connect a wire to the beast before shooting it with a gun. He says that was the easy part. Then, they had to get the animal in the boat. "I tied him and strapped him up. I had to get in the water with him. And, I pulled a couple back muscles. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be," said Moore.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

So, what do you do with them? Eat 'em?

from pudgexl29 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

i've heard of people making alligator jerky before, but i dont know how good other cuts of alligator are

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

It's a lot harder than you thought it would be to get a 12 foot alligator in a boat?? Really?? Did you think it would be a walk in the park?

from country road wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Alligator meat is pretty tasty, especially the tail, and I'd love to have the back skin cured to hang on the wall. ---And what about the bleached skull in your den? Nice trophy.

from GERG wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Lots of meat in the tail. On a gator that big probably over 50lbs.Tastes kinda like frog legs to me. The skin can be worth a considerable amount too.

from Justin Engelman wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I agree the meat in the tail is in my own opinion, delishous.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

The "back" skin is like deer antlers, a neat trophy but "kinda" useless except to "look" at! LOL!!!
The "valuable" part of the skin is the smooth underbelly!
That's where the "fashion" stuff comes from!

Bubba

from SifordOutdoorz wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Tail is excellent fry it up and put some barbeque or hot sauce on it! Congrats on the gator by the way its a dandy!

from Derek St.Romain wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

the front shoulder meat is sweet, sweet! I use it in Aligator Sauce Piquante recipes, like a gator marinara almost for those that don't know what it is. Most places frill gator, but to me that is ruining it. Gets very tough because it is very lean, now gator sausage!!!!!that is my favorite!

from Paul Gozzo wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

That thing is a beast. Some monsters being taken down here in Florida too....what hte heck is going on?

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Sorry to piss in your puddle, but I had some at a restaurant in Daytona Beach one time years ago and it was awful chewy. Didn't think I would ever get it down.
But of course, this place might not have known how to properly prepare it. I know preparation of the meat is extremely important with wild game.

from bsg53md wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Can't tell yall how many times ive swam in those waters. We see gators around there all the time especially on the north side of the lake but they pretty much keep to themselves. The have zero compatition and tons of food(Efaula is known as the bass capital of the world) so they grow pretty big down here. We caught one not 40 yards from my pastor's dock that was about 11 feet. That was a week after we had a youth retreat where we was swimmin all around there

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

So, what do you do with them? Eat 'em?

from pudgexl29 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from country road wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from GERG wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

from Justin Engelman wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I agree the meat in the tail is in my own opinion, delishous.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

The "valuable" part of the skin is the smooth underbelly!
That's where the "fashion" stuff comes from!

Bubba