How To Punk Your Buddy's Trail Camera

Field Notes

September 29, 2011

How To Punk Your Buddy's Trail Camera

By Chad Love

Here's one from the "Why Didn't I Think Of That?" files...

Everyone knows that punking your hunting buddy's trail cam with fake creature photos is a real time-consuming pain, what with all the getting in and out of fake Bigfoot suits, leprechaun knickers and alien bodies and such. So don't. If you've got even marginal Photoshop skills then don't bother taking the creature to the camera, instead just take the camera to the creature...

From this story on thechive.com:

Brilliant! But seriously, would you be angry if someone were to do this to one of your trail cameras, or would you get a laugh out of it?

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

LOL. That's hilarious. I doubt all do this, but the picture above would definitely mess with someone's mind for awhile.

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I'd think it was funny. I'm sure there are people who'd be royally torqued if you did it at all as they lose a day, or it's within a week of or during the season.
If you're brilliant with the software and there's some shots of old mossy horns already on the card, doctoring a photo with a predator about to pounce on or dragging off (more difficult) a distinctive buck would be a heartbreaker. The photo above is brilliant btw.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

if i saw that on my trailcam i would probably be pretty nervous walking out of the woods at night by myself!!!

from Camp Dog wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I've done this similar thing to a friend of mine...He's never hunted that stand again.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

That is GREAT! I love it!

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Gonna have to try it on my father-in-law!

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I once talked a nephew into "mooning" a trailcam after urinating under the guys "feeder"!
It was hilarious!
Of course, the delay prevented the "shot" from being recorded!
His grandmother "demanded" we retrieve the cam to have the "pic" removed! LOL!!!

Bubba

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Chad, There is going to be guys all over the country upset with you very soon.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Being as dumb as I am, I'd just be freaked out. Until I was told. Then I'd laugh and wish I'd thought of it first.

from Bass2Buck wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Im pretty gullibe so seeing that on my trail cams might just scare me out of the woods.

from Bass2Buck wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

love the idea though

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Oh, this sounds like more fun than should be allowed!

from Drover1 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Couple years ago my neighbor put a trail cam on his back fence overlooking a natural area behind our properties. I pointed it out to my son, who was 15 at the time, and explained what it was. Then I said: Tomorrow’s April Fools Day, right?
“Yeah.”
You have a giant full-body chicken costume from Halloween, right?
“Yeeeaaahhh.”
Later that night there were some very unusual shots on the trail cam. The neighbor loved it.

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I'd think it was pretty funny... but I'd find it funnier if I were the one punking and not the one punked. I guess that's always how it is. Of course you could get really convoluted and hide a cam behind the cam, and get a pic of your buddy doctoring the decoy, and then photoshop that with a big lion or something crouching behind him. But that's a stretch.

Nah... I'll stick to mooning every cam I find.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

My trail cam is in bear country and we have to bear proof boxes to keep our trail cams in and mine happens to be locked with a heavy master lock. I have the only keys so it would be extremely shocking if I found something on my card.

from Nic Meador wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Or have an SD card ready when you go to find his trail cam.

from wp wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I would get a kick out of it if my hunting partners would do something that creative instead of just mooning my trail cam.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I don't use them but this gives me ambitious ideas for those who do!

from JohnR wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Unfortunately if that happened in my neck of the woods, I would be blamed by default. That and the fact that I mess around with Photoshop and similar programs and the reputation of being a practical joker.

from ALJoe wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Instead of photoshopping some off the wall creature I would photoshop a giant buck into the picture. At least this way you would know exactly where your buddy is going to be the rest of the season. Then you'd have the rest of the property all to yourself.

from BobGWI wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Camp Dog has the right idea if you can spook your buddy off a hot stand then use it yourself.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

GOT TO DO IT!

from GENO wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

inappropriate use of troll face. go back to tumblr.

from GERG wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Punking trail cams would be a great contest for F&S. Might start a few fist fights though.

from russ1222 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

haha. thats great. just make sure you bring the card back

from FishnFast wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I would be pissed. I take my bow hunting very seriously, to the point everything I touch is wiped with HS fresh earth, clothes washed and bagged and I dress in the woods, even my truck is wiped down inside. To have anyone spread human scent in my hunting locations would make me totally move to a new spot. Years back I quit using my wooden platform tree stands I built because smokers used them, now I use self climbers and only self climbers.
Don't go near hunters trail cams or hunting areas, it's like your wallet is to you

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from brendanfagan wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Awesome idea. Can't wait to go out and find myself a trailcam

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

FishnFast-- Sounds like you are a prime target for this type of activity, do you reside in Michigan by chance???

from lococabra3806 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

i saw this some where else, this is hilarious i wanna do it. but i only hunt my property, and cant find any trail cameras

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from pudgexl29 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

thats a awesome idea! definatly gonna have to try that one!

from rdorman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

i'm not good enough with photoshop to make it look that realistic

from milsky24 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

That would be pretty fun to do. I like the photo above

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Sounds like a way to get featured on www.yourassbeatenlikeIwasyourdaddy.com

from jcurtis3266 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

from Desiree Harmon wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

That would be a funny prank to pull on a friend. I do like the idea of putting a monster buck on there instead of a crazy creature. Definitely wouldn't go pulling random people's camera's though. I might have to do that to my fiance haha

from suchasportsman wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

that is pretty funny ! I am not that talented with photo shop ! So I would put on my overalls an dance with some decoys ! With a bottle too ! ha ha

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Lol, happened to a buddy of mine last year. He called me all excited because he got a picture of a moose in PA...I told him to better examine the background. He did and found out one of his buddies who went to main on a moose hunt slipped in a picture in the correct place in the photo sequence to get the right time stamp. It was a great prank!

from Nyflyangler wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Photoshop, a shot of the animal facing the camera, a still from an adult film and a picture of the camera owner's head. Priceless. ;-)

from Island_Time wrote 41 weeks 1 day ago

Great idea! I'll have to give this a try

from BobGWI wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Chad, There is going to be guys all over the country upset with you very soon.

from ALJoe wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Camp Dog wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

That is GREAT! I love it!

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Gonna have to try it on my father-in-law!

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

It was hilarious!
Of course, the delay prevented the "shot" from being recorded!

Bubba

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Oh, this sounds like more fun than should be allowed!

from Drover1 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

“Yeah.”
You have a giant full-body chicken costume from Halloween, right?
“Yeeeaaahhh.”

from Nic Meador wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Or have an SD card ready when you go to find his trail cam.

from wp wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

I don't use them but this gives me ambitious ideas for those who do!

from GERG wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Sounds like a way to get featured on www.yourassbeatenlikeIwasyourdaddy.com

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Bass2Buck wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Bass2Buck wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

love the idea though

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Nah... I'll stick to mooning every cam I find.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

GOT TO DO IT!

from GENO wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

inappropriate use of troll face. go back to tumblr.

from russ1222 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

haha. thats great. just make sure you bring the card back

from brendanfagan wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

Awesome idea. Can't wait to go out and find myself a trailcam

from pudgexl29 wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

thats a awesome idea! definatly gonna have to try that one!

from rdorman wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago