Mark Zuckerberg Tags Bison

Field Notes

September 28, 2011

Mark Zuckerberg Tags Bison

By David Maccar

In May we reported that billionaire 20-something and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was determined to hunt and kill his own meat in an effort to live a healthier lifestyle. Now, it looks like he’s made good on his word and stocked his freezer with some bison meat.

From this story on mashable.com:

Keeping with his commitment to only eat what he kills, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg shot and killed a bison for food.

Questions about Zuckerberg killing a bison began to surface during his f8 keynote last week. During his presentation, one box on his Timeline profile displayed that he was cooking bison burgers. This naturally raised a question with many audience members: Did Zuckerberg kill a bison?

The answer is apparently yes, he did kill a bison. According to Fortune, Zuckerberg recently obtained a hunting license and killed the bison now featured on his Facebook Timeline.

“Yeah, he killed a bison,” one of our sources told us, confirming Fortune‘s report.

So does this legitmize Zuckerberg's claims, or does it smell like a subtle publicity stunt? Side question: considering his new proclivity toward hunting and firearms, who thinks Zuckerberg is the nameless "Silicon Valley Mogul" who purchased this Colt revolver for almost $1 million?

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Not that I'm a big Zuckerberg fan(I don't even have a facebook page) but it's nice to see a high profile person like this embrace hunting and find an appreciation for how meat makes its way to the dinner table.

from Charles Maynard wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Good for him. Anytime ol' Mark wants to step it up a bit, he can go bow-hunting with the Red Hand. We would be glad to host him.

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Sounds like he is genuine about an interest in hunting. Even though I have never used his webpage its not like Facebook needs a publicity stunt to get people to notice.

from Mike57 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Billionaire hubris.

If Mark has time to go out and kill his own food on a regular basis he has time to come finish my bathroom remodel.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from rock rat wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Celebrity hunters we have enough of already, next he'll be poaching in CA like that other clown.

-7 Good Comment? | | Report
from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

thumbs up mark. next is foraging for wild onions and mushrooms for sides for those burgers ;)

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

If it is a publicity stunt who cares its good for the outdoor community. He shows that there is value in going out and getting your own food, even if you have enough money to buy out a (organic) grocery store daily for a decade. It also shows he is not a hypocrite like many ultra billionaires who speak out and join peta as a status symbol, then write off hunting as inhumane and below them.

from jbird wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Facebook has over 800,000,000 users. This guy doesn't need "publicity".

I say thumbs up! It's good press for the hunting community, period.

Think about this, How many of those 800 million are NOT hunters?? I'd guess a huge majority.
But they're learning that the creator of the page they spend billions of hours on is "killing his own food", in an effort to be HEALTHY!

That's the kind of press the hunting community desperately needs! Hundreds of millions of people who are non-hunters or anti-hunters seeing that killing for food isn't just the pass-time of rednecks (like the media/Hollywood love to portray, as well as many hunting shows) but billionaire computer geniuses are in on it now too.

That's going to change a LOT more people's perceptions about hunting than 500 episodes of Troy saying: "Thoot em Elithabeth, thoot em!"

from jbird wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

By the way, for the record, I love "Swamp People".

from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Can I come over for a Bison Prime Rib supper, Mark?!

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

He killed it yes but did he gut it and process it too??? I would guess not!

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from GERG wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Very well put jbird. Rat, come on really?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Mark still rents the same small house he has for years and drives the same small car to work everyday and still dates the same girl from college. Pretty much a normal guy in my book.

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I don't know the man personally, and don't even really care if this is just his kick for 2011. It's great PR for hunting... especially for hunting for food. There's a huge trend in this right now, of folks coming to the sport late in life because they're looking for healthier food and a closer connection to the wild nature. This is something those of us lifetime hunters take for granted, so I'm all for some high-profile individual like Zuckerberg shining some of his spotlight on it.

from wp wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I would also like to know if he gutted and butchered it himself.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Who gives a crap if he gutted and butchered it? Is that going to make it taste any better?/worse? I know one thing's for sure, I love to eat what I kill, but if I had his money, (or even a 1/10th of his money) I would gladly spend some money to help a local locker keep their workers employed!

from Hil wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Expecting a newbie who just killed what's probably his first animal, and a huge one at that, to gut and butcher it himself is asking a lot, folks. I know I sure didn't gut and butcher my very first deer. I let someone who knew what they were doing handle it while I watched and studied and learned how to do it myself the next time. Who really cares if he did it himself? A new hunter, especially one with a high profile, is always a good thing in my book.

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I totally support this guy better understanding how many of us provide for ourselves and our families. My only concern is the "hunt" aspect. Did he actually go out and hunt a bison via drawing a tag or did he go shoot some beefalo on a high fence farm?

I know that may seem petty to some people, but the importance of fair chance practices matters to some of us (ya hear that Safari Club?) and I hope it matters to him as well.

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Considering the lack of information given in the press release, I'm sure it would be illuminating to learn more about the hunt. How 'bout it f&s, can you get the full story?

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Facebook has over 800,000,000 users. This guy doesn't need "publicity".

I say thumbs up! It's good press for the hunting community, period.

from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Hil wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Can I come over for a Bison Prime Rib supper, Mark?!

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Charles Maynard wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

By the way, for the record, I love "Swamp People".

from GERG wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Very well put jbird. Rat, come on really?

from Mike57 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Billionaire hubris.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

He killed it yes but did he gut it and process it too??? I would guess not!

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from wp wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I would also like to know if he gutted and butchered it himself.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report