Special Report: New World-Record Mule Deer Tagged in Canada?

Field Notes

September 14, 2011

Special Report: New World-Record Mule Deer Tagged in Canada?

By Steven Hill

It happens every year: Deer seasons open, and rumors start zipping around the Internet about the latest record-breaking buck. Lots of these tales never check out, but here’s one that appears to have legs: A potential Pope & Young world-record nontypical muley was reportedly taken in Saskatchewan in early September.

Canadian Cody Robbins, host of the “Live 2 Hunt” TV show and a longtime camera man for professional hunter and TV host Jim Shockey, arrowed the potential world-beater during the first week of September. Robbins could not be reached for comment and no official photos have been released. But two online hunting forums have reported green scores of 294 to 295, and a source close to the situation confirmed for Field & Stream that those score estimates are accurate. The current Pope & Young world record for nontypical mule deer is a 274 7/8-inch buck taken in 1987 in Morgan County, Colorado, by Kenneth Plank.

Nothing is final, of course, until an official Pope & Young measurer puts a tape to the rack after the 60-day drying period passes. But a green score nearly 20 inches above the current world record certainly sets a high bar for the 2011 season—and makes the Saskatchewan muley a buck to watch.

We will provide more details as soon as they are available.

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Oh man...why no picture? Pictures are worth a thousand words. Nearly 300 score is unbeliveable...that's why we need a picture.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

How about nothings final until we find out exactly where Jim Shockley's camra man actually shot this deer. Hopefully it was in the wild but....

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from Derek St.Romain wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I watched videos of Cody puttin the sneak on 2 monster muleys a couple years back, and one where the dude didn't shoot a freaking giant! I wasn't surprised to see Cody's name attached to world record, and really do not think that he would shoot a muley in a cage when he has rights to such prime land. Jim would suredly fire his ass on the spot and ruin his reputation and future. He seems a class act to me.

from rwminard wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Pictures or it never happened.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Steward wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

"Nothing is final, of course, until an official Pope & Young measurer puts a tape to the rack after the 60-day drying period passes."

I guess we'll wait until November-ish and find out then.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I'm with saintdeer on this. Cody seems like a great guy and I will be extremely happy for him if his score holds.

I saw the same episode where Cody's client had two monsters in range but never pulled the trigger. I also believe Cody has one of the top all-time mountain caribou.

from jdwood wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Well I take it they found a picture and that muley is a beast

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

IF the antlers still have velvet does that get included with the mass score? Or do they try to subtract for it? Surely velvet would add a little mass to a rack.

from Chris Johnsrud wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Something is very fishy! That is not your normal trophy pose for picture taking. Still a nice buck, not sure though about the legitimacy of it.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow.. what a beast

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

that is a monster! congrats on an awesome buck I guess we will have to wait the 60 days (maybe longer cause of velvet?) to find out for sure. On the topic of monster muleys any pics of goliath this year or word on if he survived the summer in the area?????

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Certainly a great buck.....but doesn't the velvet have to be removed before he can be scored by P&Y ?

from ckRich wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow, that is an awesome muley! I hope this is the real deal, because Cody is one of the few tv guys I can stand to watch.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I read the headline and eagerly begin to read, then I realize it's about the horns. Nice but um, what does it weigh?

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Chris Johnsrud wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Shows a pic on his website live2hunt.com

from Hank111 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I really doubt there will be anything "fishy" on this buck. Jim Shockey, unlike alot of the other video guys, is the real deal.Yeah he uses bait, which is legal, on some of his canadian hunting ground, but he is not going to do anything to hurt his image or allow anyone associated with him to.Besides he does not need too. He has leases on some of the best hunting ground anywhere, and every year does extreme hunts around the world that would kill most of us.

As for possibly being a high fence deer, mule deer do not adapt to a fenced area and will not grow giant racks, like a whitetail behind a fence.

He can be scored for the velvet catagory or it will need to be stripped off for the non-typical record in the book.

The sucky thing is my son and I are heading to wyoming next wednsday, bowhunting antelope and mule deer on blm ground and I really did not need to see that picture.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

OMG! The picture alone makes my knees shake.

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I'd like to take this opportunity to shout out to the western hunters that claim you need to make 300-400 yard shots to be successful. Here's a massive buck taken with a bow for your thoughts. Probably taken around 30 yards. Less than one tenth of the range some say is about as close as you can get...

Anyways, is anyone else as big of a nerd as I am, and tried to see what brand of binoculars he was using?

from jdwood wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I would say no, but from the looks of it they might be Swarovski's

from horseshoe_lake wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

This type of guy makes his career on one deer like this. He will release official photos, but probably on his own site and with great fan fare.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Koldkut wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

fliphuntr14, A friend of mine saw Goliath near Cimmaron and I-25 a month ago, said he was bigger than last year. If he is still around, there are for sure pics being taken of him, but after all the secrecy surrounding his shed last year, I'm sure folks are just keeping him under wraps.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Mah-vah-rus, dahling! Simply mah-vah-rus!!

from ckRich wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Shane, I believe that is a set of Swarovski CL's, but it's hard to tell... those massive horns seem to be blocking the light!

from mgw403 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Congrats on such a magnificant Muley! Hope it all works out for him and the new record!

from Toiler280 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

@horseshoe_lake - "this type of guy" you speak of has already made his career. You obviously don't know Cody Robbins or anything about him. This story is not about making a career but continuing his already great career. Cody has a number of deer on P&Y and B&C records. I think your jealousy has shown in making a public statement like this. AND to other comments made - Cody Robbins is an ethical and Very good bowhunter. Keep up the good work Cody and congratulations on another superb deer!!

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

that is an amazing deer and I think they are vortex Talons on his website he has on a vortex hat and thats what I thought before I checked out his website.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

thanks koldkut thats good to hear. heres to hoping one surfaces eventually ive never hunted muleys but was certainly a cool story.

from The Shot wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Great buck, and hope it makes the new #1 record. Cody is the real deal, and a super nice dude on top of it all.

He's got more integrity in the tip of his trigger finger than many of the jealous types instantly recognizable in the negative posts here have in their whole being!

When one meets and if lucky - gets the privilege of being around and hunting with Cody and Jim Shockey, that person has just come into the best hunting circle in existence today, bar none..!!

Wonderful, wonderful Cody, my stetsons off to you again.

from Remaxman wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

No doubt thats a Hell of a deer!
I don't care who you are!

from david park wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

it must be nice to have your own private hunting territory i dont think you can call this fair chase id,d like to see how good a hunter he is if he had to compete with everybody else

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from groundhog wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

This is in Saskatchewan where I hunt we have a vast hunting area that is mostly private land in the south half that you go around knocking on doors to get permission or hunt unposted land. From what I know of Cody you can bet he did his home work on this deer got permission and spent every hour of legal time hunting this deer till he got him. 99% of Sask resident don’t have PRIVATE hunting land or leases, we just head out and start hunting. His hunting is 100% fair chase and more an most people can imagine we live in a province that if you spook a buck you get to watch him run away for a full day! It was all captured on camera for his show how much more legit can you get. Congrats to Cody on a great buck, He is the Mule deer king!

from david park wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

you mean i could knock on the same farmers door that cody has axcess to and the farmer would let me hunt there

from white tail freak wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow nice buck. I didnt even know Canada had mule deer but sweet buck.

from white tail freak wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow nice buck. I didnt even know Canada had mule deer but sweet buck.

from groundhog wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Re; David Park
In Saskatchewan you have to be a resident of the province to hunt mule deer, its either a draw system or you can buy a over the counter archery mulie tag. So the answer to your question is yes if you lived here it could have been you, heck it could have been me. Remember hunting is his job and this kid has a passion for mule deer and I don’t think any one can take that away from him.

from Brian Phipps wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

wow that is an amazing animal....Saskatchewan is a great place to live

from Jared Dohms wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

not surprised to see a monster buck like that come out of Saskatchewan. We have some of the best mule deer genetics around. Even less surprised to see Cody either the buck, he is one the best if not thee best at finding big mulies.

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I personally know Cody and for anyone that is either skepticle or have nothing but negative comments I will say only this. He is the real deal. Cody is only looking after his career and livelyhood. When the photo's, story and video finally are shown all that have nothing better to say will, without a doubt, not offer up an apology for thier ignorance. The footage will air on his show and for those not in the know, there is no mule deer farms in Saskatchewan! All his hunts are legal and fair chase, period! His knowledge of Mule deer is second to none as I am sure Jim Shockey would attest to. Cody shoots an APA bow, uses Vortex binoculers etc. These are all sponsers of his show. And yes the tape will settle the matter and as I know him, the claim would not have been made with so much riding on the line. The fact that pictures are not available are due to them being released via Big Buck Magazine as they too are a sponser of his show, and it only seems fitting to give Garry Donald the rights to publication.

Finally it is nice to see some well wishers and they are appreciated.

from BowHuntOnly wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Congrats to Cody and crew, and all his sponsors !!! That thing is a monster !! That deer was shot with the 2012 APA Mamba M7 ( my future bow when it's released!!!) from what I understand. I can't wait to see more pictures, especially can't wait to see the DVD..been an L2H/APA fan for some time now, so this is great news!

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

after the drying period it is official, 288 NT velvet.

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

after the drying period it is official, 288 NT velvet.

from tailhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

That is awesome! Congrats to Cody!

from vanner wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Congrats Cody!!!! Can't wait to see the dvd. "Live 2 Hunt" Always has great footage!!

from norsask wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

What is happening with his APA sponsorship now that Bowtech is throwing alot of stuff his way? Heard from some locals to the area that thought he was sponsored by Bowtech. I even heard they wanted to refilm his hunt to make it look like he shot it with a Bowtech and not an APA. Something should be released to clear the air on this subject quickly, before rumours like this overshadow the actual accomplishment of getting a World Record.

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

Norsask what you have heard is part truth, Cody has been approached and is now sponsered by Bowtech as he is breaking out into The Outdoor Channel this 2012 and APA could not afford the rate for sponsership in the US market. Good for Cody, Bad for APA! But the fact remains that the deer was harvested with an APA bow and the film will still show that, maybe the badging will be blurred who knows for sure. The price of trying to make a living in the outdoors!! The shows for outddor channel will also be edited etc.... by Shockey's editing team so Cody can focus on hunting more.

from Wasafan wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Beautiful deer no doubt but the sad thing is after getting this remarkable animal I feel greed has overcome this great Canadian hunter which is surprizing as his mentor Jim Shockey still knows his roots and always pays tribute to where he got is start. He still uses his trusted sponsers and does well I am sure. In his seasons of hunts he always reminds his fans of the product and gear that helped him get his trophies in that season even if he changes the following year. Big Buck magazine always there for Cody and we read the news in Eastmans Magizine? Does a couple of grand really replace loyalty? The weapon of choice that season APA bows and I haven't seen or heard mention of the only Canadian made product now signs with another bow company for 20 some grand with insentives? It is business, don't get me wrong, I understand but we should always reconize the people who help us get there....Jim always had. New season new products I get it but give credit for the people who helped you out in that particular year thats all. I am a believer our Past reflects or Future and I hope the best for you Cody. I only wish the hunger for the hunt was a strong as the hunger for the money in the bank.

from Derek St.Romain wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Toiler280 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Toiler280 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Finally it is nice to see some well wishers and they are appreciated.

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from mgw403 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from The Shot wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wonderful, wonderful Cody, my stetsons off to you again.

from Steward wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I guess we'll wait until November-ish and find out then.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

OMG! The picture alone makes my knees shake.

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from jdwood wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I would say no, but from the looks of it they might be Swarovski's

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from groundhog wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from groundhog wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Re; David Park

from Jared Dohms wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

after the drying period it is official, 288 NT velvet.

from tailhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

That is awesome! Congrats to Cody!

from vanner wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from norsask wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from Wasafan wrote 2 years 1 week ago

from jdwood wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Well I take it they found a picture and that muley is a beast

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow.. what a beast

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Chris Johnsrud wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Shows a pic on his website live2hunt.com

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Mah-vah-rus, dahling! Simply mah-vah-rus!!

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from Remaxman wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

No doubt thats a Hell of a deer!
I don't care who you are!

from david park wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from white tail freak wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow nice buck. I didnt even know Canada had mule deer but sweet buck.

from white tail freak wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Wow nice buck. I didnt even know Canada had mule deer but sweet buck.

from Brian Phipps wrote 2 years 29 weeks ago

wow that is an amazing animal....Saskatchewan is a great place to live

from BowHuntOnly wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

after the drying period it is official, 288 NT velvet.

from CDNCOWBOY wrote 2 years 13 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from david park wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from rwminard wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Pictures or it never happened.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report