Video: Young Bear Runs Through NM Hardware Store

Field Notes

September 22, 2011

Video: Young Bear Runs Through NM Hardware Store

By David Maccar

Residence of Raton, NM got a surprise from a 1-year-old black bear that decided she needed to make an afternoon run to the hardware store. The adventure, which didn’t end well for the bear, was captured by the store’s surveillance system. Check out this video and story from KDAT.com:

Surveillance video from Record’s Hardware Store in Raton caught a baby bear barreling down a very busy part of town in broad daylight.

The camera was rolling as the bear crossed the street and raced toward the store. New Mexico Game and Fish officers said they were on her tail at that point.

As officers gave chase, the 1-year-old bear walked inside the store’s main door. At first, customers didn’t seem to notice the bear, but were shocked when they did.

Joe Aregon, a clerk at the store, used the intercom to warn shoppers of the furry visitor.

“I actually wanted everybody else in the store to know there was a bear loose in the building so they didn't go pet it and be friendly with it. You never know,” he said.

The bear bolted out of the store and took refuge in a nearby back yard.

“We continued to chase it because we wanted to deal with that bear. At that point, it was considered to me and another Game and Fish employee that this is not good bear behavior,” Game and Fish warden Clint Henson said.

Game and Fish wardens said the situation could have turned dangerous, but fortunately nobody was injured. When the wardens finally caught up with the bear, they said they had to kill her.

Thoughts?

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Too bad they couldn't relocate her. She was young and could have learned from the experience.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I thought the same thing - this was a little bear. I know that bears can be dangerous and all, but it was the size of a smallish dog. Seems that relocating could have been a pretty easy operation. Granted, running through a hardware store isn't "good bear behavior," but this seemed like a fairly innocuous incident.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

Yeah this sounds kinda like it could have been from a south park episode. Of course I don't live in bear country so who am I to say.

from willisriverbuck wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

It's sad that the drought has caused so many bear encounters and subsequent bear killings by the Game and Fish officers. I guess they're just doing their jobs; I still think it is sad.

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago