Black Bear Breaks Into Pizza Parlor

Field Notes

October 03, 2011

Black Bear Breaks Into Pizza Parlor

By Chad Love

--Chad Love

Hungry Canuck bear breaks into pizza parlor. Gustatory chaos ensues. Do I even need to set this one up?

From this story in the Edmonton Journal:

Conservation officers are on the hunt for a black bear that broke into a Whistler, B.C., pizza parlour Monday and polished off a pie. The incident began shortly after 6 p.m. when the large black bear began pawing at a garbage can outside of Fat Tony’s, a popular destination for the ski village’s post-party crowd. Two female employees were working at the time, said employee Colin Mont. As one went to close the door, the bear entered the establishment. “The bear stood up over the counter and grabbed a pizza off the display and started eating it,” Mont said.

“The girls stood back and let him do what he needed to do.” Footage posted to YouTube the same day shows the bruin licking its lips feverishly while gobbling down the pizza. A crowd can be heard laughing and commenting. “You better give a good tip, bud,” one person can be heard saying. “He’s so good at getting it,” remarked another as the bear reached for another slice. The pizza is believed to have been beef and blue cheese, Mont said. The staff eventually made noise and scared the bear away.

So what's the most unbelievable part of that story? That there's such a thing as "beef and blue cheese" pizza and that the bear would actually choose to eat it...

from FOX wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Guess next time i go for bear i should set a stand by my local pizza hut and just wait.

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I know it's most F&G units policy to kill these animals that could be a danager to the public. So, once they do this kind of thing, they basically write their own death sentence. A lot might think a story like this is kind of funny or cute, but to me it's a bit sad. That bear isn't going to make it through this winter. Don't get me wrong, I am a hunter and I am all for protecting the public. I just don't like seeing our bears being lost because of our trash. Our trash is a huge attractant for these bears and they can't help themselves.

from Kucher wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Looks like they put the video back up on the Journal's website.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I used to tell people that when they fed the bears they were signing their death warraant because once they start getting a free handout they don't know any different and get into trouble. I have had them tear doors down and go into houses and house trailers. I had one to carry a full size frig out into the yard. The same is true of petting a buck fawn deer. When it gets older and the rut starts it will hurt someone. We have had sevderal cases when this has happened. Wildlife are cute when little but they belong in the woods and not as someone's pet. That is why I used to issue a citation in the spring to someone for illegal possession of a fawn deer. When it grows up odds are it will have to be destroyed.

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from FOX wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Kucher wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Looks like they put the video back up on the Journal's website.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago