Muley Buck Attacks, Injures Idaho Woman

Field Notes

October 04, 2011

Muley Buck Attacks, Injures Idaho Woman

By Chad Love

An Idaho woman is recovering from wounds she recieved after being attacked by a mule deer buck while walking down a rural road.

From this AP story:

A woman was able to escape an attack by a mule deer after a passer-by and his daughter fought off the buck, grabbing the antlers and striking it with a hammer until it fled, state wildlife officials said. Sue Panter was on a stroll near her home in rural southeastern Idaho when the buck attacked, raking her body with his antlers and goring her legs, officials said. Michael Vaughan and his 17-year-old daughter, Alexis, spotted the struggle early Friday and tried to intervene, the state Department of Fish and Game said in a statement Sunday.

Vaughan's daughter got out of their vehicle and started punching the deer, while he grabbed the buck by the antlers, which allowed Panter to escape, according to the agency. Vaughan said that while he wrestled with the buck, his daughter retrieved a hammer and struck the deer. Vaughan's daughter then drove Panter and her father to a hospital, where they were treated and released on Friday. The man's legs were punctured three times during the struggle, wildlife officials said. The buck in the attack was a young adult, which on average weigh about 250 pounds, officials said.

Anyone ever experience something similar? If not attacked, have you ever been approached or threatened?

from jay wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I'm not trying to be crude, but could the buck have been drawn to the woman if she was ovulating? Kinda early for mule deer rut but what else could explain this weird behavior?

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The pronghorn rut is in full swing here in CO, and season opened on Saturday. I was charged by two bucks, the first one was a bluff, or at least he wouldn't leave his women. The second one came from 300 yards in a full sprint. I filled my tag on the second one, but I've never seen an antelope come at a person like that. I had another opportunity to get close to a buck(150 yards), but had left any knives and rifle with my kill, I thought better of it considering how aggressive the bucks were.

from HawkEyes wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Several years ago my neighbor was attacked by a young 4 point whitetail. He was working in his flower beds in front of his house. His family heard him yelling and had to beat it off with sticks. It didn't hurt him to bad thankfully. This was in Eastern KY. No idea what made the young buck come after him.

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

This is so rare when this happens, but I would say jay is right.

from manswife wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I believe that fragrances like fabric softners,
musk oil, perfumes and after shaves cause those
critters to become aggressive.

My husband and I used to raise Japanese Sika's
and European White Fallow and certain scents
would at times set them off that way.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Young deer trying to establish dominance in his little territory and an unsuspecting victim at the wrong time crossed the boundry ? Any of the above may also have been contributing factors, who knows what this animals olfactory triggered ?

from GENO wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I agree with Jay; all mammals emit the same pheromone while menstruating.

from jay wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from HawkEyes wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from CoBowHunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

This is so rare when this happens, but I would say jay is right.

from manswife wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I believe that fragrances like fabric softners,
musk oil, perfumes and after shaves cause those
critters to become aggressive.

My husband and I used to raise Japanese Sika's
and European White Fallow and certain scents
would at times set them off that way.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from GENO wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I agree with Jay; all mammals emit the same pheromone while menstruating.