Massachusetts Family Lost In Corn Maze Calls 911

Field Notes

October 12, 2011

Massachusetts Family Lost In Corn Maze Calls 911

By Chad Love

Who says the average American has lost that trail-blazing, pioneering spirit of rugged individualism and self-reliance that made this country great?

From this story in the Washington Post:

Authorities in Massachusetts say a family that got lost in a seven-acre corn maze called 911 for help, apparently taking advantage of the police department’s motto that says “We Want To Be Bothered.” The maze at Connors Farm in Danvers can take up to an hour to navigate. A police officer entered the maze with a farm manager to search for the disoriented father, mother and two children. The family didn’t realize they had almost made their way out and were just 25 feet from the street.

Yep, regular Natty Bumppos we are...

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Good thing they were rescued. They may have met up with He Who Walks Behind the Rows in there. Thanks for giving me a reason to throw a Children of the Corn reference in a comment, Chad.

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Someone better punch that guy's man card

from prairieghost wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

that entire family must be from the very shallow end of gene pool.

sure glad the moron is in MA, not MT...the sheriff's dept out here would have died laughing at that 911 call.

from HawkEyes wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Some people shouldn't be allowed out of a city for their own safety. lol

from ADDohman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

did the police help them get home so they didnt get lost going there?

from kratch wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I think someone should write an article in next month's issue about how to survive in a corn maze. Would be good knowledge to have and who knows how many people would benefit from it? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard!

from 8Crow wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

A Natty Bumpo reference and a Children of the Corn picture all in the same post. I love it.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Re-freaking-diculous! Does this top the lady that called 911 because she locked herself in her car?

Maybe I shouldn't laugh, Homer Simpson also got caught in a corn maze once.

from Ga hunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I work in a corn maze and I dont think you would need to call the cops to get out though! This is crazy!

from willisriverbuck wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Whatever happened to BLAZING YOUR OWN TRAIL?! IGNORAMOUSES!

from awptimist wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I'm supposed to be doing this corn maze next Friday. I'll be sure to update you guys with my harrowing tale of survival, if I make it out alive that is...

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

i heared on the radio that they could see the lights, i mean anybody with enough sense will just walk though the rows. we always played in corn fields when i was little we even built a little hut and even bought a toliet seat to put over the hole. that only lasted so long...

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Tony Berg wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Does Massachusets actually have 7 acres of corn? I'm from western Ohio, 7 acres of corn out here is not a feild, it's a garden. how do you get lost in seven acres. City folk are funny. I guess if your Iphone doesn't have a map or the cast of jersey shore doesn't tell you what to do, you would have a hard time figuring it out.

from jdwood wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I feel embarrassed to be from the same state as these people that's ridiculous. If you can't find yourself out of a 7acre corn maze you shouldn't be allowed outside the cubicle.

from Drover1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Hilarious. I visit one every year with the family – this one’s in Colorado (Anderson Farms) and is 30 acres. It can be pretty disorienting. They have signs asking people to stay on the trails in the maze, to prevent them from tearing up the standing corn. Maybe they should add a disclaimer, something like: “If severely lost, it’s OK to leave the trail. Stand between two rows of corn, then walk between those rows until you exit the field. Go home.”

from wp wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The cop deserves a commendation for remaining professional through the "rescue" of these individuals.

from shane wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

"i mean anybody with enough sense will just walk though the rows"

Mike - It's scary in there. Forget about it.

from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Some people don't have the sense God gave a Goose!

from Gierhedd75 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Absolutely ludicrous that the police had to be called in for that. And for that matter, why didn't the secret service go in with former president Bush and his family to begin with?

I know what you're going to say. It's MA, not TX. But hey. It's MY joke. Haha

from Seronac wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

"Here's your sign!"

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I keep saying a big portion of modern America needs to nut up or shut up. I bet they're anti-hunting liberals too. Most weak people are. People like that make the whole country look weak.

from Gierhedd75 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I agree. So tired of all these feeble perpetually-sick people who can't drink real milk cause it'll kill 'em blogging (there's a word I HATE almost as much as tweet) from there hipster ivory towers about how wrong hunting is. Someone needs to grab them and throttle the crap out of them. Then cram a fist full of venison down their gullet and make em chew and swallow.

from Gierhedd75 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from kjohn wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Now that is funny. Sad that these people have children. Hopefully the kids will learn something other than what they are being exposed to at home.....

from rmercier wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I hate to admit I am from Massachusetts sometimes.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Unbelieveable.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

City people, what would they do in a real emergency ? A low chance of surviving any disaster whether it be natural or man made.

from HawkEyes wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Some people shouldn't be allowed out of a city for their own safety. lol

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Someone better punch that guy's man card

from awptimist wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Drover1 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from prairieghost wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

that entire family must be from the very shallow end of gene pool.

from ADDohman wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

did the police help them get home so they didnt get lost going there?

from kratch wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from 8Crow wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from jdwood wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from wp wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from M_Rothwell wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Some people don't have the sense God gave a Goose!

from Gierhedd75 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I know what you're going to say. It's MA, not TX. But hey. It's MY joke. Haha

from Fat guy Aaron wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Gierhedd75 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Maybe I shouldn't laugh, Homer Simpson also got caught in a corn maze once.

from Ga hunter wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from willisriverbuck wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Whatever happened to BLAZING YOUR OWN TRAIL?! IGNORAMOUSES!

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Tony Berg wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

"i mean anybody with enough sense will just walk though the rows"

Mike - It's scary in there. Forget about it.

from Seronac wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

"Here's your sign!"

from Gierhedd75 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from kjohn wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from rmercier wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I hate to admit I am from Massachusetts sometimes.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago