Two Reminders of the Importance of Firearms Safety In The Field

Field Notes

October 24, 2011

Two Reminders of the Importance of Firearms Safety In The Field

By Chad Love

Two reminders today--one tragic, the other stupid--of how vigilant we all must be when it comes to firearms safety in the woods.

First, a Michigan duck hunter died after being accidentally shot by his 10-year-old son.

From this story in the Chicago Tribune:
A 39-year-old Lapeer man was accidentally shot and killed by his 10-year-old son while duck hunting in a Michigan wildlife area. The Huron Daily Tribune in Bad Axe reports Friday that the boy shot Sean Monschau while continually firing a shotgun Thursday morning. State police did not release any more details of the case and say the shooting remains under investigation. Monschau had taken his son to hunt in the Fish Point State Wildlife Area near Unionville, about 90 miles northwest of Detroit in Tuscola County. The shooting occurred about 7:45 a.m. Thursday.

And then there's this...

From this story on dailyfreeman.com:c

Police say a 20-year-old man suffered shotgun wounds after he made animal noises to scare friends in dark woods, prompting one of them to open fire. Sgt. Tina Stanton of Manlius Police tells the Syracuse Post-Standard that Stephen Comrie of Manlius was walking through the woods to a bonfire party around 11:30 Saturday night when he and another man decided to play a prank on the group around the fire. They crouched down and made animal noises for several minutes. Stanton says 21-year-old Jeremy Messina fired his shotgun, striking Comrie in the face, forearm, chest and thigh. The victim walked out of the woods to get hospital treatment. Messina was charged Sunday with felony reckless endangerment. Police didn't know if he has a lawyer.

Thoughts?

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

The first incident is tragic. I can't imagine how that kid must feel, and is going to feel the rest of his life.

The second incident is idiocy. Before you pick up a gun, one of the first lessons is always to know what you're shooting at. To shoot blindly into the woods is asking for an accident.

from FOX wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

These are both very sad stories and are the back bone of every precaution I take when I enter the woods. These are both target a son shooting his father and a friend shooting his bud. Both should have never happened and I image all involved feel terrible.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

The 1st story is a tragic accident.

The 2nd story is criminal idiocy. Who shoots a gun into the dark without knowing what's out there in a bonfire situation OR what's behind it?

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Sad. "continually firing a shotgun" kind of confuses me. What a tragedy, and what terrible psychological repricussions that boy will have from it forever.

The second story is idiotic.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Remember those single action breakdowns with the hammer safety? I thought those were very dangerous, and folks would buy them for their youngster as their first gun. No control over where the muzzle was pointing because of the difficulty cocking the hammer back.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

The worst negligent shooting I had to investigate was a 10 year old shooting his grandfather for a deer. His grandfather had put him up in a box blind up in a tree and was trying to drive a deer to him. He shot once and the grandfather yelled and asked if he could still see the deer , He said yes and the grandfather said shoot again and he did and shot the grandfather and killed him instantly. The mother tried to get me to tell the 10 year old that he didn't kill his grandfather. The 10 year old knew what he had done and the mother gave me a hard time for not lying to her son. She was the one in denial. It was a case of greed. They were hunting on a hunting club and each grandparent was trying to see which grandchild could get their deer first. The 10 year old wasn't supposed to be by himself. Violation of state law. I made a decision not to charge the 10 year old with negligent shooting and took some grief from some people, but it was my case and the decision was mine. The Step-dad sold the gun and I don't think the kid ever hunted again and he would be 24 years old today. I know the way I have talked on previous posts about charging people who violate the law it is hard for some of you to believe I didn't charge the kid, but he has to live with that for the rest of his life and that is sentence enough.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Shooting at motion or at sound should carry at minimum Reckless Endangerment charge and a Manslaughter charge if you kill someone. Last Friday, some dingbat in Marion County California who was hunting bear shot and killed a hiker because he saw "a dark object" moving behind some bushes. Beauty may be skin deep but stupidity runs clear to the bone.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

"Beauty may be skin deep but stupidity runs clear to the bone." - Mike Deihl

I'll remember that one!

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

a few years ago while bear hunting i was put on a team of drivers for one particular push. before we started we all turned away from each other and loaded our guns. all of the sudden BOOM!!! i turned around and one of the guys 45/70 went off, and there was a giant hole in the ground next to another one of the guys foot. his face was pure white from almost having his leg taken off. first and only accidental discharge ive experienced. not fun.

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

One reason I archery hunt is that I live in the heart of "Amish country" and they put every 10 year old in the community in the woods with 30/30's and they just dump clips threw the woods at running deer.
last year I was down in a bottom pushing it for my girlfriend, when I kicked deer up to a group of amish who just sprayed a 500 yard span with about 20-25 rounds at these running deer, which myself and girlfriend were in the middle of. I had 2 rounds hit trees right beside me! needless to say I stormed up after the 4 CHILDREN and their father and Blew a gasket(to put it nicely)!!!

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

The kid was 10 yrs old. Give him a break!
Screw the other drunk.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

to: themadflyfisher what kind of 30/30's do the Amish have that they load with "clips". Very Interesting !

from OlTex wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Well that kind of destroys the old adage of "SHOOT LOW SHERIFF, HE'S RIDING A SHETLAND". The correct posture should have been to fire a warning shot aimed upwards' high enough not to strike a person, if they were that scared! If they were that scared they shouldn't have been in the woods in the first place !!!!!!!!!!!

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Bonfire party.....11:30pm....middle of the woods.....involving young men....Hmmm. Per chance there may have been alcohol involved?

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

probably a semi -auto After the first shot if the kid lost his balance recoil kept it firing if his finger was still on the trigger. I started my son with an HR then moved to an 870. If there was any recoil or shock from the first round he would be off balance to pump and fire again. Kids who do fine on clays , often loose it the first time hunting. adrenallin, over excited maybe even a little scared the first time in a hunting situation.

from shane wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

"continually firing a shotgun"

Spray and Pray? Does Michigan have magazine capacity limits? You have to plug to 3 or less in OH. People actually complained when this was first enacted. Seriously? I have an older picture of a buck taken on a Southern OH drive. Many hunters claimed it, many hit it. The guy next to it clearly has an 8-9 round magazine extension, and probably emptied it at that buck. Disgusting.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Speaking of hunting in "Amish" country-

Last year,during the Ohio deer gun season,on public hunting land,a group of Amish hunters walked by the spots where my brother and I were still hunting,told us they were going to push through some heavy cover,and we should stay put. They gave us an idea of where deer would pass,and said it will be safe for you to shoot in this direction...
When they kicked up a buck,as it ran by me,I raised my shotgun,then a guy takes a shot at the deer-one of the Amish guys-who was standing exactly where the rest of them told me it was safe to shoot.

These guys shot at least 30 rounds at the deer they kicked up,and no one hit it.

My brother and I left the area right after that incident.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

The 1st story is a tragic accident.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

The second story is idiotic.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from OlTex wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Speaking of hunting in "Amish" country-

My brother and I left the area right after that incident.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from FOX wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

"Beauty may be skin deep but stupidity runs clear to the bone." - Mike Deihl

I'll remember that one!

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

The kid was 10 yrs old. Give him a break!
Screw the other drunk.

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

"continually firing a shotgun"