Stuttgart, Arkansas: America's Duck City?

Field Notes

November 22, 2011

Stuttgart, Arkansas: America's Duck City?

By Chad Love

So what's the duckiest city in America? Stuttgart, Arkansas, according to this Reuters story:

Rocker Ted Nugent has hunted duck in Arkansas. So have former Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. They are not alone. Stuttgart, about 55 miles east of Little Rock, is known as the duck capital of the world. For the next two months, thousands of hunters will descend on eastern Arkansas and drop millions into the state's economy. The Stuttgart Chamber of Commerce estimates that duck hunting contributes more than $1 million a day to the town's economy. This year's season opened on Saturday.

Stuttgart thrives on its duck hunting heritage. Businesses erect banners welcoming hunters. The Best Western is named the Duck Inn and has the Duck Blind Lounge. The Museum of the Arkansas Grand Prairie hosts a "Waterfowl Wing," a permanent exhibit that replicates a duck hunt along with a collection of decoys and guns. Posh duck lodges, sitting on hundreds of acres of prime hunting land, pepper the outskirts of Stuttgart. The Queen Mallard and Junior Queen Mallard pageants kicked off the weeklong Wings Over the Prairie Festival on Saturday. The week closes with a street festival and the world championship duck calling contests, which began in 1936, and a duck gumbo cook-off. Former Arkansas Governor and presidential candidate Mike Huckabee calls Arkansas the "holy grail of duck hunting."

I'm not sure about Arkansas being the "Holy Grail" of duck hunting, but there's no denying that Stuttgart is one of the top duck hunting destinations in North America, and something every waterfowler should experience at least once (I'm still waiting and hoping). Have you hunted the Stuttgart area? What's your personal waterfowling "Holy Grail?" Chesapeake Bay? Louisiana? The Dakotas? Canada? Where would you go if money and time were no object?

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

I'd stay right here in my (relative) back yard and hunt the Chesapeake for the rest of my life

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Stuttgart, Arkansas?

THE NO TRESPASSING SIGN CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!

Should of taken stock in "NO TRESPASSING" signs "

from Hil wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Plus, if you call someone in Stuttgart you'll be dialing area code 870. 870! Coincidence?

from okie_goose_hntr wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

I live and hunt in oklahoma. I have lived in Houston a few years where I hunted snows every weekend of the season (that is that I wasn't back in Oklahoma) and ducks in the crawfish ponds. Its pretty good right here in my own backyard - might be because I have lots of quality private land to hunt. But I would still love to go hunt Canada once - and maybe sandhill cranes in the texas panhandle with the guy that hunts over stuffed birds.

from rob wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

If you haven't been, go to Canada. The Canadian prairie and the birds it holds are something every true waterfowler has to see, at least once in one's life. The volume of birds is staggering, even in an off year. The variety of waterfowl is beyond the imagination. My first trip to Saskatchewan I shot nine different species of waterfowl, plus sharptails and huns.
That place is magic.

from okie_goose_hntr wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Rob, One of my co-workers has been and he keeps trying to talk me into going with him. He says the same thing you did - its unbelievable. At some point I will go but I have a few other things on my bucket list - one of those is a Canada black bear hunt with a bow - with my son.

from pheasant88 wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Hiliary Clinton duck hunted in arkansas? Am i reading that right?

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

pheasant88

That what she said, using her fathers rifle!

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Stuttgart, Arkansas?

THE NO TRESPASSING SIGN CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!

Should of taken stock in "NO TRESPASSING" signs "

from Hil wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from rob wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

That place is magic.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from okie_goose_hntr wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from okie_goose_hntr wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from pheasant88 wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Hiliary Clinton duck hunted in arkansas? Am i reading that right?

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

pheasant88

That what she said, using her fathers rifle!