Surfer Almost Eaten By A Whale

Field Notes

November 07, 2011

Surfer Almost Eaten By A Whale

By Chad Love

Kayaks and stand-up paddleboards are becoming increasingly popular among anglers and recreational paddlers alike. It's a fun, relaxing, calming, supremely soothing activity. No stress--no excitement--no worries. Just you, the water, the wind, the birds... and the whales. Yeah, don't forget about the whales.

from olinger302 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Good thing that they are out in the water! No one will notice the pee running down their legs!

from 007 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

That probably gave them a little idea of what Jonah experienced. Ditto Olinger, pardon me while I rinse out my shorts there.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

That is AWESOME really gives you perspective of the size of them and good thing the people were out of the way somewhat and the whales didn't breach further.

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Great video. Why? You're watching the hotty on the surfboard because (1) You think she's the one that's about to gets swallowed (2) She's hot, then the whales comes out of nowhere in the foreground.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

What whales?

from Artie wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

If you've spent any time on the water near whales, it's very hard to believe these boarders weren't, in fact, waiting for the whales. I don't imagine they knew the whales would be coming up right at that spot. But prior to this interaction, the whales would have been alternating between deep dives, shallow dives and surfacing in such a way that anyone in the vicinity would have seen them. I've seen way too many people illegally put themselves in the travel path of whales to have precisely this type of experience, although I'm not saying that's what this group was doing. But even in this video you see the gulls swarming, a clear sign they're following a feeding frenzy which is then evident as the whales surface into a shoal of fish.

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Seems like this would be an appropriate occasion to take up cursing...

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

I agree entirely with Artie. This was more than likely staged ... sort of. Sure didn't look to me like there was much surf worth riding that day. I'm thinking the person shooting the footage was out whale watching and decided to take some shots of a really fine babe in a bikini. The whales accidentally intervened. Look closely. The whales really weren't that close to the surfer or the kayakers. Distorted perspective makes it look hairier than it really was.

from shane wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

When humpbacks feed that way, they have to set it up. It's not just random. These people must be oblivious to the signs. The birds, the noises the whales make, the bubble nets, and when the bait ball explodes out of the water...well it's too late then.

from olinger302 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

from Artie wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Seems like this would be an appropriate occasion to take up cursing...

from 007 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago