Brock Lesnar Pleads Guilty to One of his Alberta Charges

Field Notes

December 23, 2011

Brock Lesnar Pleads Guilty to One of his Alberta Charges

By Chad Love

Remember Brock Lesnar's run-in with Canadian wildlife authorities? The professional fighter has owned up and entered a guilty plea to one of the charges, and the other two have now been dropped.

From this story in the Vancouver Sun:

UFC star Brock Lesnar has pleaded guilty to one of the hunting charges he faced, paid a $1,725 fine and said he looks forward to coming back to Alberta for another hunt after last year’s “misunderstanding.” A lawyer representing the ex-heavyweight mixed martial arts champion entered the plea in a courtroom in Medicine Hat on Tuesday. Lesnar had been facing three charges laid by Alberta Fish and Wildlife officers. Those were: unlawful possession of wildlife (a whitetail deer), wastage of edible flesh (of a mule deer) and failure to immediately affix a tag to an animal. The first two charges have now been dropped.

"...“The outfitter is there to make sure you follow the rules. I had two deer tags for the trip which meant I could legally shoot two deer. On the first day of the trip, I shot a mule deer,” he said. “On the second day, I shot a white tail. Video from the hunt has been on the Internet for over a year. After I shot the mule deer, I failed to immediately tag it. As far as I was involved, that’s all there is to it.” In reference to the spoiled meat charge, Lesnar said he could not bring meat across the border and trusted the outfitter to handle it appropriately. Lesnar said the fine has been paid and “it’s the kind of thing that happens to hunters all the time.” He is suspended from hunting in Alberta for six months.

Your thoughts?

from brithebold wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

All my customers here in Ontario had no problem returning home to the USA with their deer meat????????? Tx Bri

from tacomanusmc wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I'm really hoping that his "celebrity" status didn't have anything to do with that plea bargain. But I'm sure it did. If that happened to any of us, we'd most likely get the book thrown at us.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

You and I would be paying fines for all three charges, guarenteed. Lame excuse about the meat.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I wonder what that business was about not being able to take the meat across the border. Dry ice and coolers work just fine in planes or cars last time I checked. Sounds like BS to me. I also wonder just how long it took him to tag his deer. Did he just punch it out after he was caught? Hmmm. Souonds to me like he was all the way home when it was discovered that the deer was not tagged. Not sure where he usually hunts but failing to tag an animal immediately is NOT the norm around here! That outfitter should lose his license to operate.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

He's no Hulk Hogan, thats for sure! Hulk would've brought the Undertaker along to fill out the necessary paperwork!

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I have lost many tags dragging deer out of the woods or having them blown off on the truck ride home. There are times I stick my tag in my pocket for safe keeping. Yes, it is illegal but if the tag is detached, signed and dated and no more than a few feet from the deer at any given time, I have no problem with it. Just last year I spent nearly an hour looking for a tag I thought was securely shoved down a does throat. If he did not fill out, detach, date and time his tag at the place of kill then that is a different story.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Someone who worships points more than I do should start a thread in the answers section on when and how to appropriately tag an animal.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Zip tie the tag to an antler or ear, take the used sandwich baggie out of your pocket and tape it to the animal well using some of the small roll of black electrical tape in your vest. Garr-on-teed! No need for a thread! :-)

from jamesti wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

there have been times that i waited until dragging the deer out before affixing the tag. just don't wait until you are at the taxidermists'. i think he dodged more than one bullet on this one. i take care of my own meat and even if i did hunt with an outfitter, i would do it myself. no excuses.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Things aren't going well for Brock. In his fight the other night he got his a## whipped and he called it quits and said he is going to retire.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago